News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Paul_Turner

How Links Formed
« on: May 19, 2002, 09:26:19 AM »
Paul Daley's description on another thread of how links land formed reminded me of this classic passage by Sir Guy Campbell.

"In the formation and over-all stabalisation of our island coastlines, the sea at intervals of time and distance gradually receded from the higher ground of cliff, bluff and escarpment to and from which the tides once flowed and ebbed.  And as during the ages, by stages, the sea withdrew, it left a series of sandy waste in bold ridge and significant furrow, broken and divided by numerous channels up and down which the tides advanced and retired, and down certain of which the burns, streams, and rivers found their way to the sea.

As time went on, these channels, other than those down which the burns, streams, and rivers ran, dried out and by the action of the winds were formed into dunes, ridges, and knolls and denes, gullies, and hollows, of varying height, width, and depth.

In the course of nature these channel-threaded wastes became the resting, nesting and breeding places for birds. This meant bird droppings and so guano or manure, which, with the silt brought down by the birds, streams, and rivers, formed the tilth in which the seeds blown from inland and regurgitated from the crops of the birds germinated and established vegetation.  

Thus eventually the whole of these areas became grass-covered, from the course marram on the exposed dunes, ridges and hillocks and the finer bents and fescues in the sheltered dunes, gullies and hollows, to the meadow grasses round and about the river estuaries and the mouths of the streams and burns.  Out of the spreading and intermingling of all these grasses which followed was established the thick, close-growing, hard-wearing sward that is such a feature of true links turf wherever it is found."

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by 1056376800 »

A_Clay_Man

Re: How Links Formed
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2002, 03:24:48 PM »
I'm begining to think that coastal areas aren't the only places where this type of evolving took place.

Here in New Mexico the evidence of the ebb and flow of retreating waters is everywhere. The sandy soil is literally chock full of rocks. I wonder if it wasn't the bottom of some ancient sea. The plateus look like huge tee boxes and some of the windblown ridges look exactly like some of the bunker work emulated here on gca.com.

Outside my house there is about a 130 foot drop to the San Juan River and across that is a gradual slope up to a mesa. Within the slope there are some of the most natural subtle mounds.

They remind of some of Pete Dye's fairways. Especially the ones Don Mahaffey and I saw at The Country club of the desert.

Don_Mahaffey

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2002, 06:23:53 AM »
Adam,
As I'm sure you know, the entire Coachella Valley was once part of the Gulf of California. You can see the ancient water marks on the mountains directly to the west of the CC of the Desert. I'm very surprised we haven't heard more about the Dye course at CC of the Desert. The humps and bumps in the fwys are certainly unique to that area and could probably only be done on a sandy site like that. Maybe not enough folks have seen it yet, but to those who haven't, it is signature Pete.  And my description of the movement in the fwys doesn't do them justice, as there is some very severe and abrupt bumps that need to be seen to be appreciated.

Paul Daley

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2002, 08:51:19 PM »
Paul:

Yes, I'm not surprised that it reminded you a little of Sir Guy's famous account, as the passage is reproduced early on in my book, Links Golf: The Inside Story (2000). His treatise really is the last word in links formation.  

Paul Daley

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2002, 03:56:52 AM »
Adam:

My gut-feeling tells me that you are right; it must happen elsewhere and perhaps explains how geological "mix-ups" can occur and bestows terrain and soil that is a real shock.

Terribly envious about your house: sorry, paradise, and its lookout over the river!

A_Clay_Man

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2002, 06:55:40 AM »
Paul- I appreciate your envy, but the truth is natural beauty is found almost everywhere.

Since they call this the land of enchantment I have been wondering what would be a more accurate description. I think I have settled on the light.

It is the light and the way it is in a constant state of change that really makes Sheryl and I go WOW, even just driving to the grocery store.

I was thinking how the angle of the light on features (mostly bunkers) earlier this morning and  wondered if archies ever purposely placed or shaped a bunker because of it's shadowability. I suppose it's just a residual good.

Paul Daley

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2002, 03:52:42 PM »
Adam:

You've stumbled onto something with bunkers, light, and their ability to cast shadows.

An architect has confirmed with me, via an essay he is writing for an upcoming book, that indeed some do construct and position bunkers to "catch" the right light at various points of the day ... but that it is not a common practice. I was gob-smacked!

Happy golfing.

Josh Taylor

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2002, 04:31:10 PM »
Paul,

Regarding the person that made a comment about the position of bunkers to "catch" the right light at various points of the day.  I remember spending a bit of time with a guy that talked about those kind of aspects in his design.  Can there be two people that talk about that? Or does this guy who said that to you and is writing an essay for your book have initials HK?  He may be reading this anyway.

Hope you are feeling better,
Josh

Justin_Zook

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2002, 07:55:31 PM »
That truly is one of the most amazing descriptions of the formation of the links I have every read in my entire life, which I guess is quite short, but still, that's incredible.  I love the links, and the author give the links its credit.  Thank you Mr. Turner for the enlightenment.  I definately am going to safe this thread for later reference!
We make a living by what we get...we make a life by what we give.

Justin_Zook

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2002, 07:56:36 PM »
That truly is one of the most amazing descriptions of the formation of the links I have every read in my entire life, which I guess is quite short, but still, that's incredible.  I love the links, and the author give the links its credit.  Thank you Mr. Turner for the enlightenment.  I definately am going to safe this thread for later reference!

Justin_Zook

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2002, 07:58:02 PM »
Sorry about that.  I'm not sure why that happened.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back