News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jeff Tang

Re: Scotland Hangover
« Reply #50 on: April 23, 2009, 09:42:19 PM »
My experience coming back from Scotland was slightly different.  I felt after a week of playing Scottish golf that I was invincible and would dominate my local tracks.  Not sure why I felt this way but I guess just playing off of the firm turf and different wind and weather conditions that I was ready to take on anything.  Of course that lasted about one round when I came crashing back to reality that I was still just a mediocre golfer.

I've also been to Bandon and I think the courses there are on par with the courses I've played in Scotland (St. Andrews and nearby) both in terms of the course themselves and also the firm conditions.  With the exception of Bandon (and possibly Wild Horse and Ballyneal) I haven't played anything else comparable to the turf conditions in Scotland in the US.  What you don't get in Bandon, though, is the whole ambiance with the town and the whole community.  St. Andrews is just one of the coolest places in the world.
So bad it's good!

Bill_McBride

« Reply #51 on: April 23, 2009, 09:47:41 PM »
  St. Andrews is just one of the coolest places in the world.

Jeff, I am so with you there.  As Bobby Jones said when they gave him the keys to the city, loosely recorded from memory, if I could only count the days I spent in St Andrews, I would have spent a full life.

It's a wonderful place, even more so if you can find a parking space.  ::) 

<<<<<<------  Note my avatar - an aerial of Old, New, Jubilee, and a hint of Eden!

And North Berwick is a close second.

« Last Edit: April 23, 2009, 09:49:39 PM by Bill_McBride »

James Boon

« Reply #52 on: April 24, 2009, 04:36:32 AM »
Brent,

I always seem to get a Scottish Hangover, but its nothing to do with golf  ;D

On a more serious note, thinking in reverse, if I was to have a couple of weeks playing golf on say, Long Island, then I'm sure my home club in middle England would be pretty dull in comparison. But I'd probably use this as an excuse to travel a little further to play some top quality and character courses? So perhaps its more to do with your home course and also what else there is a little further away?

I'm certainly all for you returning to Scotland or anywhere in Britain to experience our golf again, but the love of the game doesn't have to be that expensive does it? There must be a course with some character or history within distance for you to get to so that you can start enjoying the game again? A hidden Ross gem perhaps or just something built some time ago with a bit of "quirk"?

Hope you get over the hangover soon?

Cheers,

James
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell, Brora, Parkstone, Cavendish, Hallamshire, Sandmoor, Moortown, Elie, Crail, St Andrews (Himalayas & Eden), Chantilly, M, Hardelot Les Pins

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

John Pflum

« Reply #53 on: April 25, 2009, 09:38:30 PM »
Great ... I'm leaving for a two week trip to Scotland on Friday. 

So much for enjoying the game when I get back.......  :-) 
--
jvdp

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back