News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tim Gavrich

Shennecossett Golf Course, Groton, CT (Donald Ross)
« on: April 24, 2009, 01:48:15 AM »
I have been meaning to write about this course for a while.  As you can see, the pics are from the dead of winter.

Shennecossett dates back to 1896.  Its location in the seaside town of Groton, CT, puts it about 75 minutes from my inland hometown of Avon.  It is a course I have only played in the winter; because coastal Connecticut tends not to see too much snow at a time, the golf course is often one of only a very small handful open into January and February.  Just within reach for a die-hard New Englander with the mid-Winter itch.

(Note that captions will be below pictures.)

Shennecossett opens with a shortish par 4 calling for a drive across Plant St.  Be wary of cars crossing in front of you.  The landing area is fairly forgiving.

The hole turns left up a hill to a fairly large green.  This picture was taken from the top of the mound above a bunker short of the green that obscures the bottom quarter of the flagstick.  That little coffin-bunker is pretty nasty.

Number 2 heads downhill to another plain-jane landing area.  Take care not to stray left, as you can be robbed of a good view of the green (or out-of-bounds, if you're left enough).

View from the left rough.  The approach comes over train tracks and uphill to a broad green flanked by bunkers that will catch an un-mindfully hit shot that skips over (for the golf course plays quite firm).

The tee shot on number 3, another par four.  It plays over a rise and...

...the approach is mostly blind.  The green is small and relatively flat, unguarded by much trouble other than OB over the back.

In my opinion, the toughest par on the golf course comes at the fourth, an approximately 195 yard hole from the tips, which I have never played because most tee boxes are closed in the winter.  Even from 170, the green is about as elusive as I've ever seen.

This is what greets the player who misses to the left: a semi-blind pitch up to the green.

Number 5 is a lengthy par 5.  If it's width you want, it's width you've got!  The preferred drive races down the right, challenging a fairway bunker.

Bust one down the left and you're faced with this view.  A stinger aimed just right will curl down towards the green.  Don't mess with those little evergreens, though.

This shot from about 60 yards short of the green.  Brilliant, subtle contours make this shot very difficult, whether the player wishes to employ a 6 iron or a sand wedge to a green that slopes gently away.

The approach to the straightaway, uphill, lengthy (about 430 from the tips) par 4 6th.  The green is challenging, but built with a long iron approach in mind.

Hole 7 returns down the hill that number 6 climbed.  Though it is about the same distance as the previous hole, it plays a good 50 yards shorter.

Naturally, the green at 7 is better guarded than that at 6.  A fronting bunker once again obscures the front of the green and bottom of the pin.

The green runs away from the player, giving this bunker a lot of business.

The 8th, a short par 5, heads uphill before leveling off, ambling slightly right...

...and leaving this view from the left side of the fairway.

The 9th is a mid-length par 3 that is Redan-like.  It's a good chance for a birdie heading to the back side.

Number 10 is one of my favorite holes on the golf course.  Once again, those who risk the peril of the left bunkers are compensated with a better view of a very tricky green.

The view from the ideal position off the tee.  Hit for the center of the green and you may be spared.

A semi-blind tee shot greets the player at the short par 4 11th.  There is lots and lots of room in the landing area, but the leftmost third of it is the promised land; from most anywhere else, the right greenside bunker will be troublesome...

...as can be seen here.

This little chipping area will catch many overly aggressive shots to a front pin...

...and this grave is dug for such shots that miss the center of the green.

The 12th is a beguiling sub-130 yard par 3.  Obviously, do not miss left...

...unless you'd like to play from down here (you don't want to play from down there).

Another fairly short par 4, number 13 is best played down the left.

Severe dropoffs and/or bunkers left, short-right, and long dictate one thing: hit the green or pay dearly.

The noticeably built-up back tee on 14 makes no attempt to look natural.  I like it, though.

The view from in front of the tee box.  Another semi-blind shot that must avoid the left fairway bunker.

The first glimpse of the Thames (pronounced phonetically in this case)!  A longish iron to a green that will accept a running shot, so long that it is played with care.

Hole 15 is the first of three that were built when the golf course purchased this scenic parcel of land across the road in exchange from the land on which the original other three holes lay (I believe).  This is a mid-length par 3 guarded by bunkers.  Not all-world, but not too shabby.

Number 16, a par 4, is the most photographed hole at Shennecossett.  Do not stray into the left bunkers off the uniquely situated tee box.

Again, not terribly natural, but interesting.

The approach to the green.  A skyline effect created from the conversion of the rear trees to cabinets and floors would be welcome.

The so-called "money shot"...

...and a closer-up one.

Shennecossett's penultimate hole is another short par 4 where a long iron or lofted wood is the prudent play off the tee.  Tee shots hit too far or too far right may find a wetland hazard...

...seen here.  An uphill wedge to a firm will test late-round resolve.

The closing hole is a reachable par 5.  Blast one down the right side and you'll probably have a blindish wood to the green.  If played in three shots...

...this will be the view for the approach.  The green is shallow and elusive; whatever fails to find it will likely find one of five greenside bunkers.

Shennecossett is a really neat old golf course that should be higher on the list of public golf options in CT.  If you don't have fun there, you ought to consider another game than golf.

Cheers; let me know of questions/comments.

--Tim
Senior Writer, GolfPass

Christoph Meister

Re: Shennecossett Golf Course, Groton, CT (Donald Ross)
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2009, 03:09:45 AM »
Hello Tim,

thank you for the nice pictures, I specially like the railway line crossing the fairway!
But then of course the oceanview green is most attractive!  (almost as attractive to me as a nice brunette...)

I have a 1931 scorecard from that place and allways wondered how it looks like today.

Can you see any layout changes comparing today's course with the 1931 scorecard  I have enclosed
below for you?

Christoph

Golf's Missing Links - Continental Europe
 https://www.golfsmissinglinks.co.uk/index.php/wales-2
EAGHC European Association of
Golf Historians & Collectors
http://www.golfika.com
German Hickory Golf Society e.V.
http://www.german-hickory.com

Eric Morrison

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2009, 06:22:55 AM »
Nice thread! Although I have to admit I am a little biased. Unfortunately, I cannot view any of the course pictures for whatever reason, but it sounds like the pictures could be at least a year old. The little evergreens referred to have been executed. And on #12, the left greenside bunker that was filled in has been restored. The course was changed in 1997 which produced the three holes near the Thames (15,16,17). Original holes 5,6,7 were lost. On the present course, holes 5, 10, and 18 were altered (5 and 10 retained original Ross green complexes). New holes 8 and 9 were constructed as well. I have created a history site on our webpage that is constantly evolving. There are a lot of old photos and aerials if you are interested.
It is what it is.

Christoph Meister

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2009, 07:06:14 AM »
I have created a history site on our webpage that is constantly evolving. There are a lot of old photos and aerials if you are interested.

Hello Eric,

can you please give us the link to your history site!

Thank you

Christoph
Golf's Missing Links - Continental Europe
 https://www.golfsmissinglinks.co.uk/index.php/wales-2
EAGHC European Association of
Golf Historians & Collectors
http://www.golfika.com
German Hickory Golf Society e.V.
http://www.german-hickory.com

Eric Morrison

It is what it is.

Philippe Binette

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2009, 08:52:52 AM »
Man, that course looks fun.

Ed Oden

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2009, 10:42:16 AM »
Nice job Tom.  Is this the hole you and others were referring to on the biggest false front thread?

Is the false front maintained as green or fairway?

Ed

John Foley

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2009, 11:06:37 AM »
Tim,

Thanks for the great pics & tour of a course I have wanted to see for a long time but never got a chance to. I really need to get there now.

How much of what we see is Ross vs changes others have made?

Integrity in the moment of choice

Tim Gavrich

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2009, 11:13:02 AM »
Ed--

It's more than a false front...a false everything!  The green would be right as home on Pinehurst No 2; all false edges are within the limits of the green, from what I recall.

Eric--

I took these pictures when I played in February.  Great to hear about the restoration of the bunker at 12 and the elimination of the little trees near the 5th green.  I have never played the golf course outside the winter...maybe I'll make the drive down one day this summer.

John--

It appears that there have been a lot of changes since Ross's day.  I have read that when the course opened, there were something like three hundred (!) bunkers out there, many of which have been grassed over through the years.  For the most part, the course has a pretty cohesive architectural structure that keeps me, at least, from telling what is Ross and what is newer (save for 15-17, I guess).
Senior Writer, GolfPass

Eric Morrison

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2009, 11:37:35 AM »
Ed- the 4th hole is maintained as fairway up to the green...that hole doesn't need to be any harder than it is... trust me...!

John - Holes 1,2,3,4,6,7,11,12,13,14 are original Ross... 5,10 have changed, but maintain half of the original Ross hole including green complex...8,9,15,16,17 completely new holes ...18 has the original Ross fairway, the old 18 green is now a chipping green, and a new green complex was built to make the hole a par 5 instead of a 4. Redesign work done by Mungeam

There was never 300 bunkers...pure fabrication. Before redesign there were 101...now there are 99.

We also restored the bunker in front of the first green back to a single cross bunker like it was intended...not two bunkers with a ramp in between.
It is what it is.

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2009, 11:39:02 AM »
If you want to see the course in 1934 go to: http://cslib.cdmhost.com/ and enter  00464 in the "search all collections" box.
When the page comes up click on "Aerial Survey of Connecticut, 1934 Photograph"

The course is on the right side of the photo
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Richard Hetzel

« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2009, 05:12:30 PM »
I played Shenny back in 2006, late August and it was a steal for $20 walking. Although, I do think it is too bad it is not 100% original. That first par 3 on the front is super tough to hold, with nary a flat spot anywhere at all. Shenny is a great course, and if I could (I don't live in CT any longer) I would play there all the time!

Best Played So Far This Season:
Crystal Downs CC (MI), The Bridge (NY), Canterbury GC (OH), Lakota Links (CO), Montauk Downs (NY), Sedge Valley (WI)

Cliff Hamm

« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2009, 06:01:12 PM »
A couple of more pix of Shenny.

This shows the severe drop off that Tim refers to behind the 13th green:

Speaking of elevated tees another view of the built up 14th tee:

Shenny is just wonderful.  Triggs about an hour or so up the road in Providence is another great Ross muni.  Is there a better duo of Ross courses with greens fees under $40 within an hour of each other?

Sean_A

« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2009, 06:14:18 PM »
Tim

Thanks for this pictorial.  I think the course looks a cracker and can't understand why I haven't heard of it til now.  Tell me again, where is Connecticut? 

Ciao 
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2009, 07:06:31 PM »
Uber Cool.

I really hope to get up there and see it someday.

Tim Gavrich

« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2009, 07:22:09 PM »
CT doesn't get much love for its wealth of great courses on this board (certainly not too undeserved), but few states have a much better set of three municipal courses than CT with Wintonbury Hills, Richter Park, and Shennecossett.
Senior Writer, GolfPass

ed_getka

« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2009, 02:52:19 PM »
Tim,
    Thanks for sharing the pix and commentary. I remember Donnie Beck telling me about the course a few years back. Certainly one worth adding to the ever-expanding list.
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2009, 03:19:16 PM »
Too long a drive for my dumb-old bro in law, so we played Wallingford instead.  Nice Roger Rulewich redesign.  Next time, Shenny.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Cliff Hamm

« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2009, 03:30:55 PM »
If anyone does go to Shenny don't pass up the chance to eat at Abbott's Lobster:

http://www.abbotts-lobster.com/

It's about 15 minutes away and well worth it to say the least. 

Eric Morrison

« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2009, 06:29:02 AM »
Wallingford C.C.? Fun course...always in great shape. Played high school golf there.
It is what it is.

Donnie Beck

« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2009, 09:04:18 PM »
I grew up on this course and returned today for an outing. I have to admit that it is only my 2nd round since the land swap and I still prefer the old layout but how this course doesn't get more credit amazes me. The new holes feel cramped and just don't have the character of the original Ross holes but even still it is easily one of the best (public or private) in CT and deserves national attention as a muni. The routing is absolutely brilliant with all holes playing in different directions to the prevailing wind off the water. The older I get and the more good courses I have been fortunate enough to play the more I realize what a gem Shenny truly is.

Cliff Hamm

« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2009, 09:48:56 PM »
Played Shenny today.  What a great course altho work needs to be done on the bunkers.  Eric has it in great shape considering the rain we have had.  Greens were actually relatively quick.  But - walked off after 14 holes and 4 plus hours.  Shenny has a huge problem with pace of play and today was as bad as it gets.  Rangers do nothing and despite a wonderful course it is not an enjoyable round.  Eric, please see if there is something to be done to improve the experience.  It would be greatly appreciated.

Eric Morrison

« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2009, 05:52:50 AM »
Cliff, When did you tee off...yesterday was very busy, and we had some interesting foursomes out there. Sorry you had a slow day. Do you think the fescue is too over the top, contributing to the slow play?
It is what it is.

Eric Morrison

« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2009, 06:59:17 AM »
Re: the bunkers, we have 98 bunkers on the course, this year we have renovated 20 of them, so we are gaining on it...
It is what it is.

Cliff Hamm

« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2009, 08:00:12 AM »
Eric...thanks for the reply.  Sent you an IM..

Cliff

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back