News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Melvyn Morrow

How to get to Askernish by plane
« on: April 22, 2009, 03:18:25 AM »

Ralph Thompson, Chairman of Askernish has just advised that he is receiving many enquiries from people asking how they can get to Askernish - some of them from Golf Club Atlas. 

The latest offer available  will be from the 1st of  June by Loganair website http://www.loganair.co.uk/ . They will be running day trips here for the total price of £199.

Please note that this £199 will include transfer from the airport and back , full days golf and some refreshment. The advertisement should be on Loganair website next week.

Its as close as anyone is going to get to real 19th Century Golf – I hope you have fun and enjoy your trip to our Western Isles. A great round of ‘honest’ golf and afterwards share in a single malt or two with some of the nicest people you will ever meet.   

Melvyn

Mark Chaplin

Re: How to get to Askernish by plane
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2009, 03:23:39 AM »
Melvyn,

I was doing some research for a May tour I do every year, I could get a cheaper return from London to JFK than to the Western Isles which is a real shame. Speaking to Gordon Irvine the place is clearly very special.

Buda 2009 "competitors" will be interested to know Gordon will be working at Deal while we are there, hopefully they maybe revetting a bunker or two which is very interesting to see.
Cave Nil Vino

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2009, 06:32:46 AM »

Mark

The road to Heaven is littered with those who just lost faith, yet the reward for the dedicated golfer is there in its true natural form.  Worth the wait and effort but stay a while and fully enjoy the Western Isles in their glory.

Value for money, well you decide after you have visited.

Melvyn

Andrew Mitchell

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2009, 07:58:57 AM »
Melvyn

Welcome back.  Good to see you posting again.

As Mark has said it's not a particularly cheap day trip, particularly when you compare it to other "remote" destinations Loganair fly to.  Day trips to both Machrihanish & Machrie are advertised at £119.
2014 to date: not actually played anywhere yet!
Still to come: Hollins Hall; Ripon City; Shipley; Perranporth; St Enodoc

Steve Salmen

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2009, 10:24:21 AM »
Melvyn,

With all due respect, I think a lot of the charm of playing out of the way courses is the drive.  The golf is a reward for the investment of a long drive.  I love the drive to Machrihanish and Dornoch.  Here, I've done the Portland to Bandon drive twice and wouldn't trade it for the short flight.

I look forward to a road trip from Chicago to Sand Hills to Ballyneal to Prairie Dunes back to Chicago.

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2009, 11:07:21 AM »
Modern marketing meets Morris' masterpiece.

When the hype lessens so will the fares. 
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2009, 11:46:53 AM »
Jim, you say

“Modern marketing meets Morris' masterpiece.
When the hype lessens so will the fares”. 

I did not consider it hype, as for Marketing, the club could do with some good marketing advice to assist, yet they have no serious budget.

The long drawn out court case is over with the golf course getting the OK, and I hope all can come together to promote ALL the islands resources.

As for the course, it is set to get better over the coming years and offers a glimpse of golf as it was in the 19th Century.

It’s all down to personal choice, you want to experience it or you don’t.

You can drive and get the ferry or fly – all I am doing is passing on what I consider is information for those that are interested.

But sorry Jim I see no hype.  I do see a great group of golfers of all ages putting in a deal of time over the past few years to re-generate an old course that has a real history and offers the golfer tremendous challenge as well as fun, not to mention glorious scenery and one of the warmest welcomes any golfer will ever receive. I feel pride in their achievements which is great for golf. The whole world is aware of Askernish, even though getting there may not be easy, but many are making the effort.

Sorry you feel the need to minimise the post. Although I sincerely believe that you would thoroughly enjoy your game plus the after round drink or two with Ralph Thompson.

Melvyn

Mark Pearce

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2009, 03:17:26 PM »
Melvyk,

First, can I echo Andrew and welcome you back, you have been missed.

Second, we're thinking of taking a family holiday on South Uist next year (my wife has fond memories of visits to the Western Isles during her youth and is keen to take the boys there).  Presumably for a family the ferry is still the best way.  If we're there for a week, is it worth looking at the membership options?

Mark
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2009, 03:44:47 PM »
Melvyn,
A total misread on your part, I was talking about the airlines charging higher fares because of the positive 'hype' that the course has been getting, ergo, 'modern marketing meets Morris' masterpiece'.
I see you haven't lost your sensitive side.  ::)

Welcome back.

edit: by the way, since I first heard of this course I've mentioned it to several players who make regular forays to Scotland and they are all interested in making a visit.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2009, 03:49:20 PM by Jim_Kennedy »
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Aidan Bradley

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2009, 01:27:47 PM »

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2009, 05:33:15 PM »

Aidan I've said this before, but I want prior notification of your travel itinery whenever you're over here. 

If the Sun doesn't follow you around, then it shines out of your ..... ;)
Let's make GCA grate again!

Aidan Bradley

« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2009, 06:03:18 PM »
If the Sun doesn't follow you around, then it shines out of your .....

Believe me, I pay a premium for that service......

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back