News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ron Csigo

New Member Saying Hello
« on: April 22, 2009, 10:59:46 PM »
Jut wanted to say Hello to everyone on the website and thank Ran for helping me gain access.

For the last six months, I've felt somewhat like an outsider looking in.  Finally, I have my chance and am eager to speak with you all.

Just a little information about me.  I live in the NY/NJ area but will travel anywhere to play a round.  I just enjoy playing the game and the company of my fellow golfers.  I am also trying my best to play the top 100 courses in the world.  In three short years, I've played 16 of the 100.  Not only do I enjoy the challenge of gaining access to these courses but I want to experience these courses first hand after reading so much about them via this website. 

I look forward to speaking with you all.

Cheers!

Playing and Admiring the Great Golf Courses of the World.

Brent Carlson

Re: New Member Saying Hello
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2009, 12:30:40 AM »
Welcome aboard Ron!

Jason Hines

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2009, 08:11:13 AM »
Welcome Ron,

What are the top 16 you have played?  I have only played a few on that “list”. 

What was your most unique story to gain access to these courses?  Without naming names of course.

Jason

Mark Pritchett

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2009, 08:14:06 AM »
Welcome!

Are there any courses you have played that are not on the list that you liked better than any of 16 "ranked" courses?

Scott Weersing

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2009, 08:43:32 AM »

Please come down to Virginia Beach area to play Riverfront GC some time.

Scott Weersing
Virginia Beach, VA

PCCraig

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2009, 08:47:07 AM »
Welcome Ron!

Which list are you using for the Top 100?
H.P.S.

Patrick Kiser

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2009, 09:29:18 AM »
Ron,

Looking forward to your contributions to GCA.

Welcome aboard!
“One natural hazard, however, which is more
or less of a nuisance, is water. Water hazards
absolutely prohibit the recovery shot, perhaps
the best shot in the game.” —William Flynn, golf
course architect

Ron Csigo

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2009, 11:19:47 AM »
Thanks to everyone for their warm welcome.

I want to make sure I answer everyone's questions.

Jason - The courses that I've played thus far:  The Old Course, Pebble Beach, Royal County Down, Muirfield, Royal Portrush, Ballybunion, Pinehurst #2, Carnoustie, Bethpage (Black), Portmarnock, Lahinch, Sawgrass, Kingsbarns, European Club, Somerset Hills & Shadow Creek.

Looking at this list I really do not have any interesting access stories given that most of the courses I've played are accessible if booked properly.  At RCD, I did have the good fortune of being paired with Anne Quast Sander who is a legend in women's amateur golf having won countless US Amatuers and British Amateurs.  Let me tell you, at age 70 she had some serious game.

Mark - I think Waterville should be on the Top 100 World list.  Every par 4 is challenging and requires strategy especially the holes on the back 9.  Also, I'm a tremendous fan of Pasatiempo.  Alister MacKenzie is my favorite architect (Sorry Tom).  Given the courses yardage from the tips (~6600 yards), it provides a very stern challenge even with all the improvements in club technology.

Scott - Thank you for the invite to Riverfront GC.  We have family friends in VB.  I'll reach out to you if we make it down this year.

Patrick - I'm using the golf.com list from 2007.  Being that I'm in the beginning stages of this venture, I'm going to start with the courses from the top of the list and work my way down.  However, I would never decline an opportunity to play any of these courses.

George Pazin

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2009, 11:54:41 AM »
Welcome aboard. There are lots of gca'ers in your area, if you get a chance to meet some, do take advantage.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Kevin_Reilly

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2009, 12:23:04 PM »
Welcome aboard.

OK, I'll ask...how do you pronounce your last name?
"GOLF COURSES SHOULD BE ENJOYED RATHER THAN RATED" - Tom Watson

Ron Csigo

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2009, 12:34:26 PM »
Yes, I'm very much looking forward to meeting my fellow GCAers.  Both local and nationwide. Even abroad.

My last name is pronounced Cheego.  It's a tough one when looking at the spelling.  I guess I'm the first Hungarian GCAer?!  ;D

Ron Csigo

« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2009, 07:26:42 PM »
Welcome Ron,

What are the top 16 you have played?  I have only played a few on that “list”. 

What was your most unique story to gain access to these courses?  Without naming names of course.

Jason

Which courses have you played on this list?

Jason Hines

« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2009, 11:02:19 PM »
Hi Ron,
Depending on the list, world top 100 I have done Sand Hills and soon to be top 100 Ballyneal.  I will be playing Prairie Dunes this summer and have never played golf east of the Mississippi River, unless you include Iceland.
Will be making the trek to Scotland next summer.

Ron Csigo

« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2009, 10:22:26 AM »
Hi Ron,
Depending on the list, world top 100 I have done Sand Hills and soon to be top 100 Ballyneal.  I will be playing Prairie Dunes this summer and have never played golf east of the Mississippi River, unless you include Iceland.
Will be making the trek to Scotland next summer.

Can you tell me a little bit about your experiences at both Sand Hills and Ballyneal?  I believe they're both private clubs but if you write them a letter of introduction, there's a good possibility they'd let you play the course.  Do you have any insight to that?

You're going to enjoy Scotland.  Have you decided which courses will be on your itinerary?  Let me know if you need any help picking courses.  I've golfed in and around St. Andrews as well as near Edinburgh.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2009, 01:10:38 PM »
Yes, I'm very much looking forward to meeting my fellow GCAers.  Both local and nationwide. Even abroad.

My last name is pronounced Cheego.  It's a tough one when looking at the spelling.  I guess I'm the first Hungarian GCAer?!  ;D

Hungarian? We just thought you were from Tennessee, and couldn't spell.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Ron Csigo

« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2009, 02:06:58 PM »

Hungarian? We just thought you were from Tennessee, and couldn't spell.

Don't give me too much credit just yet, Garland.  As far as pumping neurons, I'm barely one rung above Carl Spackler.

Jason Hines

« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2009, 11:53:30 PM »
Hi Ron,
Being a Midwesterner, it’s really not that big of a deal to get on either BN or SH, eventually, you meet good people.  Cannot wait to belong to one of those courses someday, still doing the father and career thing at the moment.

Have had Scotland planned for awhile, have a billion air and hertz miles, will be doing those portions for zippo and love the guys on this site for helping me plan my trip without them knowing.

What is the weather out your way on the 29th?  I will be in Tarrytown and NJ on Wednesday?

Brad Fleischer

« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2009, 12:56:54 AM »
Ron,

Welcome,  I am also in the ny area (staten island) Feel free to pm if you ever need a extra.

Brad

Ron Csigo

« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2009, 10:41:54 AM »
Hi Ron,
Being a Midwesterner, it’s really not that big of a deal to get on either BN or SH, eventually, you meet good people.  Cannot wait to belong to one of those courses someday, still doing the father and career thing at the moment.

Have had Scotland planned for awhile, have a billion air and hertz miles, will be doing those portions for zippo and love the guys on this site for helping me plan my trip without them knowing.

What is the weather out your way on the 29th?  I will be in Tarrytown and NJ on Wednesday?

Hi Jason,

Thanks for the insight on BN and SH.  We're having a good stretch of weather starting today and into Tuesday but unfortunately I think the weather shifts to rain starting Wednesday and into Friday.  However, with the weather anywhere, it's never a accurate until the day before.

What part of NJ will you be in?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back