News:

Welcome to the Golf Club Atlas Discussion Group!

Please note, each user is approved by the Golf Club Atlas editorial staff. For any new inquiries, please contact us and we will be in contact.

Brent Carlson

Scotland Hangover
« on: April 21, 2009, 10:52:50 PM »

I am having a hard time enjoying golf much stateside since a trip to Scotland.

It's just unbelievable over there: the strategy involved, fast and firm conditions, linksland turf, history, clubhouses, clusters of great courses.

Has anyone else experienced this lack of interest in US golf after a trip?   :-\

Ken Moum

Re: Scotland Hangover
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2009, 11:05:44 PM »
Yup.

I was there for two weeks in 2006, and I'm still not over it.

I don't imagine I ever will be.

K
Over time, the guy in the ideal position derives an advantage, and delivering him further  advantage is not worth making the rest of the players suffer at the expense of fun, variety, and ultimately cost -- Jeff Warne, 12-08-2010

Bill_McBride

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2009, 11:08:07 PM »
True of me too, although Rustic Canyon was mighty close to Scottish links golf on Sunday at the Kings Putter.  Playing in Scotland on a regular if regrettably infrequent basis can clearly spoil American slow and soft golf for you.

mike_beene

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2009, 11:11:06 PM »
At least you can play the back tees again.

TEPaul

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2009, 11:11:55 PM »
"Has anyone else experienced this lack of interest in US golf after a trip?"

Ah, yeah, sort of.

George_Bahto

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2009, 11:58:00 PM »
"Has anyone else experienced this lack of interest in US golf after a trip?"

It opened my eyes to "how golf should be played" - my first trip was two years ago and there were (wonderful) sleepless nights thinking about what I had seen on that trip for quite a while.

As many of you may know, I was on a "mission" of sorts, reviewing the original holes and concepts Macdonald used as inspriations for his Ideal Golf Course.

If a player insists on playing his maximum power on his tee-shot, it is not the architect's intention to allow him an overly wide target to hit to but rather should be allowed this privilege of maximum power except under conditions of exceptional skill.
   Wethered & Simpson

Mike Wagner

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2009, 12:40:34 AM »
Bandon is your cure...

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2009, 02:08:07 AM »
For someone living on the eastern side of the States is a 4/5 day trip to Bandon cheaper than a 4/5 day trip to Scotland playing "2nd" tier (pricing) courses such as North Berwick, Western Gailles, etc?
Cave Nil Vino

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2009, 04:00:13 AM »

Has anyone else experienced this lack of interest in US golf after a trip?   

There but by the grace of God go I."

Melvyn

TX Golf

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2009, 04:08:44 AM »
Mark,

Great question...

Unfortunately, I am on the west cost so that is more of a ten hour flight for myself....

However, I feel that if I were on the east coast, Scotland would definitely be my choice.

I have had the chance to play many of the courses across the pond, as well as Bandon.... As great as Bandon is, it doesn't quite match playing TOC, Carnoustie, Western Gailes, Prestwick, North Berwick, Kingsbarns, Muirfield, TNC, and others.

I understand that my trip to Scotland was a once in a lifetime experience, (being my first overseas golf trip) and that the novelty could wear off in the future, but at not to dissimilar prices, I would much rather venture further east if I were on the east coast.

There isn't another place in the world like golf in the British Isles.... (as great as Bandon is)

Robert
« Last Edit: April 22, 2009, 04:17:02 AM by Robert Warren »

Sean_A

« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2009, 04:10:01 AM »
Its funny this topic came up.  I went to S Carolina right after I got back from St Enodoc and I couldn't help thinking while I was in S Carolina that the golf was paling in comparison to where I just was both in terms of quality and value.  Perhaps this is why I wasn't bowled over by Yeamans or Kiawah.  I related to Remy that if I couldn't really get jacked about Kiawah or Yeamans then I must be spoiled and in retrospect I think I am where golf is concerned.  

When I lived in the States I do recall feeling flat on US courses upon returning.  In fact, after a few trips I didn't play for a month or so just to get that spring feeling again.  After a few trips to the UK I never felt the same way again about architecture and American courses to this day generally seem inferior to me with the obvious few exceptions.  

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Nothing

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2009, 04:28:27 AM »
Robert,

The reason I asked is because I was playing recently at Deal with Ari Techner, we had a great couple of days although he beat me from a seemingly doomed position in the main competition! He was asking if I'd ever visited Bandon or had plans to do so.

I haven't and do not purely because of the qulality of seaside golf available to us in the UK. I do not know of anyone from this side of the pond who has visited Bandon.

Mainly UK tourist golf is to Spain and Portugal for the good winter weather with Turkey coming up on the rails. A good number of people visit Myrtle Beach for cheap plentiful golf and there is obviously some holiday golf played in Florida although it's not really a golfing destination for us.

As Sean so oftens shows us the UK isn't just about the great historical links courses, there are reams of fantastic inland courses including many of world quality. Whilst there are many others where you get great golf for reasonable money here I'm thinking Knole Park, Worplesdon, West Sussex, Royal Ashdown, Addington and Woodhall Spa to name just a handfull.

Mark
Cave Nil Vino

Sean_A

« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2009, 04:43:33 AM »
Robert,

The reason I asked is because I was playing recently at Deal with Ari Techner, we had a great couple of days although he beat me from a seemingly doomed position in the main competition! He was asking if I'd ever visited Bandon or had plans to do so.

I haven't and do not purely because of the qulality of seaside golf available to us in the UK. I do not know of anyone from this side of the pond who has visited Bandon.

Mainly UK tourist golf is to Spain and Portugal for the good winter weather with Turkey coming up on the rails. A good number of people visit Myrtle Beach for cheap plentiful golf and there is obviously some holiday golf played in Florida although it's not really a golfing destination for us.

As Sean so oftens shows us the UK isn't just about the great historical links courses, there are reams of fantastic inland courses including many of world quality. Whilst there are many others where you get great golf for reasonable money here I'm thinking Knole Park, Worplesdon, West Sussex, Royal Ashdown, Addington and Woodhall Spa to name just a handfull.

Mark

I don't know Mark, since Old Mac is cranking up I have a real desire to visit Bandon.  The thing which holds me back is the cost involved to get there and play and the time involved.  Jesus its a long way to go just for golf when I have no other particular desire to be in the area.  I will probably make it one day, but not any time soon I expect. 

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Nothing

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2009, 06:52:27 AM »
Irn Bru

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2009, 08:00:50 AM »
Yet the majority of courses discussed on here are American  ???

Andrew Mitchell

« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2009, 08:03:02 AM »
Irn Bru

"Made in Scotland, from girders"  ;D
2014 to date: not actually played anywhere yet!
Still to come: Hollins Hall; Ripon City; Shipley; Perranporth; St Enodoc

Bill_McBride

« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2009, 08:53:58 AM »

Has anyone else experienced this lack of interest in US golf after a trip?   

There but by the grace of God go I."

Melvyn

The springy turf may have something to do with the pleasure of walking the links of the British Isles.

Welcome back, Melvyn.  ;D

C. Sturges

« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2009, 09:06:05 AM »
I was lucky and played 28 courses in England and Scotland and then returned to the states.  I was very disappointed with golf here in the states and our attitude.  I was happy to return to Bandon and play the courses there, but there is still something missing.  I did find the Bandon courses in better condition, but still not as fun as the UK.  I am now in Northern Ohio and it is hard to get excited.  There are many good courses but nothing that stears the heart. 

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2009, 09:11:59 AM »

Brent,

“It's just unbelievable over there: the strategy involved, fast and firm conditions, linksland turf, history, clubhouses, clusters of great courses”

Do You Mean

Or

Look forward to your return trip. 

Do not forget that it was George who said " How Golf Should Be Played" not me. But I think he got it more than right.

Melvyn

Carl Nichols

« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2009, 09:27:38 AM »
Wouldn't one's answer be different if, as in Scotland, almost all of the best U.S. courses were open to the public?  Imagine if you could take a trip where you could play all of the greatest courses in just the Philly/NJ/NY/Long Island area -- would that not be comparable?   

Mark Pearce

« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2009, 09:34:06 AM »
Wouldn't one's answer be different if, as in Scotland, almost all of the best U.S. courses were open to the public?  Imagine if you could take a trip where you could play all of the greatest courses in just the Philly/NJ/NY/Long Island area -- would that not be comparable?   
Carl,

I don't think so, though I haven't played as much golf in the States as I would like to have.  I think it is the second and third tier courses, rather than the greats, that make the difference.  I suspect there's as much thrill in playing top 30 courses on both sides of the pond, I think it's the thrill and fun of playing the Elies, Crails, Wokings and Silloths of this world that makes the difference.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2009, 09:38:54 AM »
Carl,

No. You can get on the courses in the world's two greatest golf cities but collectively those remain inferior to links golf, the highest and bestest mode of golf.

Mark

PS Mark P how is the Newcastle Utd YouTube relegation video coming along?

Steve Salmen

« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2009, 10:08:28 AM »
I first played in Scotland so I could play the courses on the Open rota because they are more accessible than the US Open courses.  I fell in love with links golf.

Yes, I believe links golf is the way golf was meant to be played, however our game here is not all bad.  We just don't have many options for our shots.  We fly the ball toward the flag.  It would be better if we had fewer trees and compact, sandy bases for turf.  That way nature would play a greater role by exposing the course to wind and letting the player bump and run the ball with a ground game.

I always miss leaving Scotland.  But I leave knowing I will return. 

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2009, 10:21:29 AM »
As is the case with most, this topic has been addressed many times in here.

It's totally normal to experience a Scotland hangover.  The golf there is just so different and so cool, unless one is a Rustic Canyon or Wild Horse regular, one's normal fare back at home will seem boring.

How quickly one gets over it - if ever - really depends on one's love of the game.....

And thus this ties perfectly to the thread Anthony Gray started, is it the player or the course.

If it is all about the course for you, then you may well never get over it.  I feel sympathy for you, because the only cure is to move to Scotland - not a realistic option for those not named Goodale.

If it is all about the game... well... the hangover ends.  You want a drink again for sure... but you accept bourbon instead of single malt.

TH

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2009, 10:41:20 AM »
Brent - I must report that "Scotland Flu" has no cure for those of us living in the States. I have been suffering from this ailment for nearly ten years with only rare and brief respites. Occasionally, the symptoms will lighten when one visits a course in a drought ridden area that is playing "fast & firm," but for the most part only a return trip to the origin of the virus will succeed in completely rejuvenating one's constitution.

Mark Chaplin - You are correct about those of us on the east coast of the US:  it is much less expensive to travel to the UK than to Bandon... particularly this year. For the first time in memory round trip flights to the UK can be purchased for travel in August at less than $700. And, with the exchange rate in our favor, the golf is on bargain as well. Why am I not booked already???

"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back