News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ran Morrissett

The May Feature Interview w/Steve Smyers is posted
« on: May 21, 2002, 10:40:28 AM »
This Feature Interview has been too long in coming.

Having seen Wolf Run in 1997, it was clear to me that here is  an architect who could/would create courses different from the mainstream. Wolf Run has a wild rugged look to it, is full of challenge yet it also possesses some really neat and exacting short holes. In short, he packed a lot of variety into not too big a piece of property.

Steve loves tallking about the strategy of different holes/courses and will be responding to queries from time to time (though he is out at Sand Hills this weekend).

Hope you enjoy this May Feature Interview!

Cheers,
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:05 PM by -1 »

redanman

Re: The May Feature Interview w/Steve Smyers is po
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2002, 07:28:38 AM »
A very enjoyable, thoughtful, insightful piece with one of the better surprizes on Architecture for me in the last few years.  For those that say that Steve Smyers over-bunkers his courses, they are not looking at the other details. There's real meat on those bones.

Almost completely unrelated
Steve Smyers is one of a very interestingly diversified group of golfers to come out of UFlorida in 1969-1975 or so (Darned good teams, too) A very diversely talented and motivated group.

Real Players:  North, Koch, Bean
Announcers: Koch, North (also Frank Beard and Steve Melnyk predated them a little bit-clearly a disproportinate percentage!)
USGA Executives:  Fred Ridley
Architects: Steve Smyers
LPGA CD and Rules Goddess:  Suzanne Jackson (Sadly, no longer with us)
Several succcessful club pros

Most of golf's popular culture has someone from that group now.

Smyers architecture is one oeuvre that I always eagerly look forward to, and I believe that he will only get better and gets better properties.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by 1056376800 »

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2002, 08:00:34 AM »
Thanks Steve, for an informative interview, and like redanman, I've enjoyed your courses a great deal.

I have two questions.  Could you please explain your views on how architects should be creating courses to test the best players when a 450 yard par four has become a drive and short iron for top players?  

Also, I see that you mentioned C&C's Hidden Creek as a course you admire.  Could you please tell us more about what you feel are the major strengths of that course design and how is your approach similar or different from what they do?  

Thanks!

John Foley

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2002, 08:19:23 AM »
Ran,

Great interview. I'd love to think that his best is yet to come as redanmann states.  

He seems to have a very limited slatte of projects. Is he a one man show? Is he planning on expanding.

Definetly one whose courses I will seek out and play.
Integrity in the moment of choice

brad_miller

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2002, 06:22:28 AM »
Steve, thank you for taking the time with the interview, your project for that 70 year old man sounds quite interesting, hope you are right about the evolution of at least portions of the world of golf architecture. Good luck with the project up in CT, that area could use a quality course.

Paul Turner

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2002, 05:03:53 PM »
A question for Steve Smyers:  Can you tell us about your new course near Newcastle in England, please?

Is it very different from Chart Hills?  That part of Britain doesn't have the strongest golf courses, it would be good to have a new top notch one.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back