News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike_Cirba

………..The West course was designed particularly for the benefit of “the ninety and nine” and for low cost of maintenance, in both of which respects it was most successful. Very little bunkering was done but the ground was rich in natural contours and hazards and they were utilized in an extremely clever way. While not as severe as the East, it is a real test for even the best of players as was shown in the qualifying round of the National championship in 1916.
It is so lovely to look at that it is a pleasure to play and I like to remember the comment of Mr. C.H. Alison of the celebrated firm of Colt, Mackenzie and Alison—British Golf Architects---who, after going over both courses said: “Of course, I know the East is your championship course; yet while it may be heresy for me to say so, I like this one even better because it is so beautiful, so natural and has such great possibilities. I think it could be made the better of the two.” - Alan Wilson 1926

With the opening of the Merion East course in September 1912, the burgeoning golf membership at Merion Cricket Club quickly exploded, so that by early 1913 a decision was made to buy property and build a second course.

Merion West opened in May 1914, and has been relatively unchanged since that time.   It did serve as the seoncd course during medal play at the 1916 US Amateur, and I believe the 1930 one, as well.   It still plays at just around 6,000 yards total, and most members feel it serves as the perfect complement to the challenging rigors of the East course.  (photos courtesy of Joe Bausch...others available upon request )

The routing

The 1st green with the volcano bunker left

The 2nd green

The 3rd green

The long downhill par three 4th looking from green back to tee

The approach to the long par four 5th

From behind the 5th green looking back at the rollicking fairway

The steeply downhill short par three 6th

From green looking back to tee

more to come

Mike_Cirba

Re: Hugh Alison's favorite course at Merion (A pictorial essay)
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2009, 04:57:23 PM »
The narrow, short par four 7th

The approach from the left side

The approach to the steeply uphill 8th

From the 8th green looking back to the tee (and 7th green)

The back of the 9th green melds into the 10th tee on the right

The approach to the 10th green

Looking back up the 10th from the 18th upper tee

The long uphill approach to the 11th

The rolling 11th green looking back towards the tee

The approach to 13

The 14th green looking back to the tee

The long par three 15th encourges a running approach

The par five 16th green looking back

The par three 17th

From the side

The steeply uphill home green with the log cabin "clubhouse" just steps behind.

« Last Edit: April 16, 2009, 04:58:59 PM by MikeCirba »

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2009, 05:01:11 PM »
145 total pictures of the course that Joe took are available at;

http://darwin.chem.villanova.edu/~bausch/images/Merion_West/

Please let us know any thoughts or questions about the course.

C. Squier

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2009, 05:04:22 PM »
I never realized there was so little fairway bunkering on the West.  Was that the original intent to keep with lower maintenance costs or did this happen over time?

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2009, 06:25:41 PM »
I like that  pin position on 6. Every time I've played there the pin has been in the front. One of my favorite par3s in the area,

"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

David_Elvins

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2009, 06:53:22 PM »
Mike,

Thanks for the photos, they look great.  Do you think the fact that Allison talked it up makes it more likely that Colt was involved in the design?
Ask not what GolfClubAtlas can do for you; ask what you can do for GolfClubAtlas.

Ed Oden

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2009, 09:50:43 PM »
Mike and Joe, thanks for the tour and the pictures, which are the first I recall seeing of the West course.  Looks like a really fun track.  My main questions relate to maintenance.  With noticeably narrow fairways and bunkers set well back into the rough, it looks like the same maintenance program from the East course is used here.  While I can understand this meld on the championship course, it seems a bit out of place on the West.  Do you think the course was originally designed to play with fairways out to the bunkers?  How would eliminating the rough between fairways and bunkers change things?  Also, how long is #4?  That green looks tiny for a long par 3.

Ed

Pete Lavallee

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2009, 10:01:05 PM »
Mike,

Thanks very much for the tour; it looks like a fun place to play. I must admit however, that my first thought was "Merion Members must all be very straight drivers". I would agree with Ed that 20 yard wide fairways seem inappropriate for what is meant to be a break from the rigors of the East course. This does seem common nowdays with any course that hosts tournaments; even if in Merion's case, it's on an infrequent basis.
"...one inoculated with the virus must swing a golf-club or perish."  Robert Hunter

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2009, 07:24:27 AM »
It is scary to say this, I first played the course 35 years ago! It pretty much looks the same in pictures and in person.

The fairway mowing patterns look the same to me but maybe they are narrower in spots. The rough on The West is much more gentle and easy to recover from. Holding a green with a mid iron may be tougher. In many ways, pieces of the course (especially 6-8) are more precise than The East.

I would think that on a normal day, The East plays 8-10 shots harder from the member tees.

PCCraig

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2009, 07:52:36 AM »
Thank you for the photo tour Mike.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2010, 11:56:45 AM by Pat Craig »
H.P.S.

Joe Bausch

« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2009, 08:19:37 AM »

Also, how long is #4?  That green looks tiny for a long par 3.

Ed, the 4th plays at just over 200 yards from the back tee, but since it is significantly downhill your better players will hit as little as a 6 iron.  The green isn't so tiny, IMO.  It is 30 yards deep, and widest at the front at about 20 yards, pinches in to about 13 yards at the waist, and is about 16 yards wide at the back.
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

TEPaul

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2009, 08:29:09 AM »
The fairway landing zones on Merion's West Course are by and large generous in their width, especially by today's standards.   Three holes (5,7 and 13) require extra decision making as the layup widths are considerably wider than the those in the landing zones of more aggressive tee shots.

1.  32 yards
2.  27
3.  36
5.  36 (layup), 27 agressive, effectively much less due to the cant of the fairway
7.  28 (layup), 17 agressive
8.  30
9.  38
10.  28
11.  30
12.  37
13.  42 (layup), 34 agressive
14.  28
16.  37
18.  31

Chuck Brown

« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2009, 10:17:26 AM »
Flags?  How come no wicker baskets?

rjsimper

« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2009, 10:19:25 AM »
What is the card yardage for the 6th? Very cool looking little drop shot, just wondering if it calls for a full shot of any kind.  I'm thinking with a drop of that magnitude, it needs to be at least 125 on the card to require a full shot for a player who hits a sand wedge +/- 95-100 yards

mike_malone

« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2009, 10:35:45 AM »
 I think the West looks and plays like a course influenced by a trip to the British Isles more so than the East does.
AKA Mayday

JMEvensky

« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2009, 10:43:57 AM »
Anyone the percentage of member-play East vs. West?

Joe Bausch

« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2009, 11:26:43 AM »
What is the card yardage for the 6th? Very cool looking little drop shot, just wondering if it calls for a full shot of any kind.  I'm thinking with a drop of that magnitude, it needs to be at least 125 on the card to require a full shot for a player who hits a sand wedge +/- 95-100 yards

119 from the back, 115 from the middle.  I think it is a full lob wedge for many players.
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Bill Shotzbarger

« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2009, 03:30:50 PM »
The stretch of holes 5-6-7-8 is extremely fun to play.

5 is very difficult and the tee shot is from the bottom of a hill in the corner of the property. The par 3 6th is so delicate and a perfect warmup for the short, tricky approach shot on 7. The approach on 7, not unlike the 3rd at Cobb's Creek, is a poor man's version of the famous baffling brook 11th east. And finally the 8th is a drivable par 4 where a double bogey is possible if you end up shortsided or somewhere else you don't want to be.

TEPaul

« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2009, 04:49:22 PM »
"Flags?  How come no wicker baskets?"

Chuch Brown:

Basically because it's be a real pain in the ass for the club to have to collect them every night and then put them all back in the morning as they do on the East course!

Kevin_Reilly

« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2009, 12:03:28 AM »
Mike -- thanks for the thread.  Is that a false front on the 17th, and if so does it come into play very much?
"GOLF COURSES SHOULD BE ENJOYED RATHER THAN RATED" - Tom Watson

Bruce Leland

« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2009, 08:48:38 AM »
Thanks for the tour!  What an interesting set of smallish green complexes....the slopes and internal contours must make for careful thought on your approach.  Whoever set the cups that day must enjoy comedy and tragedy
"The mystique of Muirfield lingers on. So does the memory of Carnoustie's foreboding. So does the scenic wonder of Turnberry and the haunting incredibility of Prestwick, and the pleasant deception of Troon. But put them altogether and St. Andrew's can play their low ball for atmosphere." Dan Jenkins

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2009, 08:52:01 AM »
It's not GCA, but the clubhouse at Merion West is great - Simple log cabin-type building and VERY low key.  And it's only a few yards past 18 green, so don't go long on your shot there!

It's a really fun golf course with some really cool architecture.

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2009, 10:58:27 AM »
The new course, general views of which are shown, presents an entirely different picture. Where on the old course backgrounds seem to be lacking in many of the holes, a forest, which surrounds the new course, furnishes a background to almost every hole.   Where civilization seems to mark the old course, forests, hills and dales mark the new one.   Both courses are of championship size, the old of 6,420 yards and the other of about 6,015 yards. The new, although shorter, furnishes equally good golf.   It is situated on a tableland of remarkably rolling country, lying between the extension of Ardmore Avenue and the  Darby Creek.   The ground is wooded on all sides and after rising to a considerable height drops sharply to the valley of the Darby Creek, on the opposite side of which are the tracks of the old Philadelphia and Midland Railway, now the Philadelphia and Delaware County Railway, a practically idle road over which about two trains a day are run.

The soil on the new course is largely composed of micaceous sand, being the result of the decomposition
of the mica schistose rocks of the Fairmount geological formation.  Features of the course are the winding creeks which are found here and there in front of many of the holes, and other features are the narrow defiles through which many of the holes are constructed.

The character of the soil has in a way affected the character of the course, the lies on one course varying
from the lies on the other through the fair green and the greens themselves showing considerable  variation in the character of the sod.   No greater contrast between two courses could be afforded than between these two owned by the Merion Club.  The pictures tell the tale, and the varying lengths of holes, the varying character of fair green, the varying character of greens and the varying character of scenery—always in the eye of the golfer—give the player who, having played the east course in the morning, starts at Merion with his eighteen holes in the afternoon on the west course an opportunity to use every club in the bag and every shot in the imagination of the keenest golfer, and all in a day's play.

THE NEW OR WEST COURSE
This course, as has already been said, presents many features that differ from the old or east course. Where in the former the greens are large and slightly rolling, in the new the greens are much smaller and
very markedly rolling, with hillocks, and in some cases deep hollows in them. They are in wonderful
condition, though, as already stated, not as large as those found at the east course. This was done for the purpose of making a variation in the two courses and for the further purpose of assuring accurate iron shots and a greater variety of playing to those using both courses.

The beauties of the new course have to be seen to be appreciated, for even the best of photographs
cannot do justice to some of the wonderful views that stretch themselves before the golfer on hole after hole.

Four of the most interesting holes on the course are the fourth, the sixth, the tenth and eleventh.  The fourth is a cleek shot about 200 yards down hill, the green being 40 feet below the tee while the fairway is a narrow stretch cut through the woods.  The background to the hole is wonderfully beautiful, with trees stretching back for a long distance.   The backing of the trees shows up the hole very prominently
from the tee.   So far very little bunkering has been attempted, but as soon as it is known properly the green will be well guarded with bunkers and pits.

The sixth hole is a mashie pitch of 125 yards down hill, with a drop of approximately 70 feet to the green. It is guarded by a brook in front and on the left side and by deep hollows at the back and on the right side. The distance is very deceptive owing to the big drop and the majority of players are at a loss to know what club to use when first playing it.

The tenth hole is a drive and iron and to all intents and purposes it is an island as on three sides there is a small creek and at the back deep bunkers.  The approach shot is a difficult one and the green is very undulating, making it difficult to hole out.  The eleventh hole, which is slightly dog-legged, is a very interesting one.  It is 415 yards long with a drive over the rough country shown in the foreground of the picture and a full second to the green. 

The new course will not be destitute of clubhouse facilities, as on Ardmore Avenue a rough log bungalow
has been erected, containing dressing-rooms for men and women, a large central room with an open fireplace and facilities for the entertainment of the inner man.

Summarizing the two courses, as already set out in this article, the old course offers a high-grade, standard golf course laid out in the highest type of modern golf architecture with long holes, large greens,
long carries and features of great interest, especially so far as the quarry holes are concerned.   From a
standpoint of scenery, it gives the impression of a flat, rolling country, very little broken and presenting
admirable facilities for the development of the best type of golf and requiring a high skill in the management of the wooden clubs and in the playing of the second shots. The old course is the more difficult of the two, owing to the boundaries, roads across and the fact that the second shots to the holes are longer.

The new course requires more accurate iron play and requires skilful placing of the drives. An interesting
fact on the new course, is that owing to the skilful way in which the various trees have been handled almost every hole has a natural background. The course offers opportunities for skill which should be
greatly appreciated by golfers inasmuch as owing to the country, broken up as it is, the players are in most part concealed from each other and are not interrupted in the skilful pursuit of their daily avocation.

Robert Lesley 1914

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2009, 11:09:38 AM »
Sorry for not keeping up with the conversation or answering questions here yet this week.   I'll try to get to those before the end of the weekend, but in the meantime, let's spin platters of some old pics that accompanied the Lesley article for your dancing enjoyment, all you groovy cats and kittens.  ;D

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2009, 02:50:59 PM »
This is sort of the same angle as the last picture in the Lesley article, looking up the length of the 8th from the 7th green;

« Last Edit: April 18, 2009, 04:50:01 PM by MikeCirba »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back