News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Matthew Rose

Re: GOLF at the Olympics
« Reply #50 on: August 14, 2009, 02:57:39 AM »
I'd like to see it. In fact, I think they should do multiple events. Have a match-play event AND a stroke play event... do them on subsequent weekends.

Swimmers and runners get 10 chances to win medals over alll distances and disciplines. Weightlifters, gymnasts, others.
American-Australian. Trackman Course Guy. Fatalistic sports fan. Drummer. Bass player. Father. Cat lover.

Mark Woodger

« Reply #51 on: August 14, 2009, 08:14:58 AM »
i think it should be amateur based for all the arguments previously given.

team and individual for both match play and stroke play and an overall team. teams of 4 maybe.

Of course this will never happen because there is money at stake and the pro game brings the money.

Sean_A

« Reply #52 on: August 14, 2009, 08:37:13 AM »
Jeepers

If I am not interesting in watching the PGA (and countless other golf events - nearly all in in fact) what is gonna induce me to watch golf at the Olympics?  As someone not involved in the business of the game, I don't much care about business/growth arguments for golf's inclusion in the Olympics.  In fact, it rather puts me more off the idea.  If golf must be included it should be amateur only and the format should be match play.  Lets make it mean something for players rather than just another added sport to a crazily crowded agenda. 

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Nothing

Kalen Braley

« Reply #53 on: August 14, 2009, 11:08:35 AM »
Shivas,

You forget about the front line of America consisting of Tim Heron, John Daly, Boo Weekly and JB holmes.   ;D

Back on Topic,

While I don't see anything wrong with golf in the Olympics, I'm not sure how its going to differentiate itself from anything that is already out there.

We already have annually:

1)  More stroke play events than we can count
2)  A world matchplay event in the Spring
3)  Team Matchplay at the end of the year
4)  Skins game
5)  Limited Field events (Tigers tourney)

What will be compelling about tuning in for this?  Hell with the Ryder Cup we already get to see the US players wearing Old Glory shirts and those crazy euros singing the ole song with thier various national flags on thier backs.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #54 on: August 14, 2009, 11:14:49 AM »
Look at it this way - tennis has been in the Olympics for the last few... quick.. name the gold medal winners.. don't cheat and look it up...

It's gonna go that way for golf (and note it's not a completely done deal yet - the new sports must still be ratified by full IOC assembly in October)... if Tiger plays and wins, the world will take note.  If not, it won't be any big deal outside of the country in which the winner resides.

Methinks Kalen is right.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #55 on: August 14, 2009, 11:18:51 AM »
Hey, being gay can happen to anyone.
 :D

You are correct, of course, my good man shivas.

However, it's not gonna happen.  The only way they made this saleable was to offer Tiger Woods.  Tiger will not want to do another team thing - he gets too much of that as it is (Ryder, President's). 

Nope, it's gonna be solo grinders... and it's gonna be as inconsequential as Olympic tennis (at least they have doubles though).

TH

Jason McNamara

« Reply #56 on: August 14, 2009, 12:15:54 PM »
So does golf need the Olympics or do the Olympics need golf?

The golf industry may need the Olympics, but does the game need it?

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #57 on: August 14, 2009, 02:10:20 PM »
What is wrong with the Olympics consisting of pretty much all sports that are popular on a global basis, regardless of whether they have other tournaments/events that are "more important" for that sport than the Olympics?  Maybe your ideal of Olympics is Track and Field and Greco-Roman Wrestling, but not everyone sees it that way.  I would rather see golf in the Olympics than rhythmic gymnastics, synchronized diving, fencing, moden pentathalon, weightlifting, trampolining, etc.

And has been mentioned above, in some countries Olympic sports get funding that is non-available for non-olympic sports.

Mark Woodger

« Reply #58 on: August 14, 2009, 03:13:40 PM »
one of the comentators (an older gentleman whose name i don't know) on the TNT/PGA.com online coverage said he was disapointed that golf wouldn't be in the 2012 olympics in london because it would have been great to hold the event at The Old Course!

Dean Stokes

« Reply #59 on: August 14, 2009, 03:26:37 PM »
Golf and Rugby are in:

http://nysportsjournalism.squarespace.com/ioc-oks-golf8139/?SSScrollPosition=224

I've got it!

The biathalon.

Every country brings their best 15 players.  They play golf in the morning and rugby in the afternooon and drink themselves silly at night, wake up and do it again and again until somebody wins!

I'm laying even money on Australia to kick our pampered American asses (why do I have a feeling Rod Pampling would be an awesome rugby payer?), with South Africa taking the silver mostly on Ernie Els's back, and Argentina getting the bronze, assuming Angel Cabrera has any friends back in Venezuela anywhere near his size...

I think Canada would have a shot for the drinking part, but Mike Weir wouldn't make it 15 minutes in the rugby... 

I'd probably throw Peter Lonard in for the rugby aspect! At least this Olympic thing is beginning to sound somewhat interesting now. I for one will not be paying any attention to golf in the Olympics and wish it had not got in.

I was brought up on the Olympics being amateur events. I don't care whether basketball or any other pro sport is involved these days and I don't really care if golf gets showcased around the world.

I think golf does just fine on it's own.
Living The Dream in The Palm Beaches....golfing, yoga-ing, horsing around and working damn it!!!!!!!

Dean Stokes

« Reply #60 on: August 14, 2009, 03:31:02 PM »
Hey, being gay can happen to anyone.
 :D

You are correct, of course, my good man shivas.

However, it's not gonna happen.  The only way they made this saleable was to offer Tiger Woods.  Tiger will not want to do another team thing - he gets too much of that as it is (Ryder, President's). 

Nope, it's gonna be solo grinders... and it's gonna be as inconsequential as Olympic tennis (at least they have doubles though).

TH
I wonder what Tiger's appearance fee will be for showing up? Perhaps there was even some upfront fee just for promoting this. :D :D :D
Living The Dream in The Palm Beaches....golfing, yoga-ing, horsing around and working damn it!!!!!!!

Dean Stokes

« Reply #61 on: August 14, 2009, 03:32:55 PM »
one of the comentators (an older gentleman whose name i don't know) on the TNT/PGA.com online coverage said he was disapointed that golf wouldn't be in the 2012 olympics in london because it would have been great to hold the event at The Old Course!

I didn't know the old course was in London. Maybe he means the old course at Sunningdale?

Mark Woodger

« Reply #62 on: August 14, 2009, 03:59:24 PM »
alas no he meant St Andrews. Although we compete as Great Britain to take the golf event to a different country is pushing it a bit far IHMO!!

Dean Stokes

« Reply #63 on: August 14, 2009, 04:17:41 PM »
alas no he meant St Andrews. Although we compete as Great Britain to take the golf event to a different country is pushing it a bit far IHMO!!

Why don't the Olympic committee just sanction the event with whichever PGA tour event is on at the time; whoever wins the tour event, their country is Olympic gold medalist. Easy.

Michael Dugger

« Reply #64 on: August 14, 2009, 04:24:08 PM »
The thing about this that bothers me is the nature of golf.

When it comes to the 100 meters or swimming, you know who the top dogs are.  You know Carl Lewis, Michael Johnson, etc. are going to win their events.

You know Michael Phelps is going to own it in the pool, same with Greg Louganis and so forth.

But golf is so fickle....and I question the importance or significance of whomever wins this gold medal.

Sure the Olympics are awesome, and I'm sure it would be epic to walk behind your flag....or stand on that podium upon winning.

But what have we really accomplished if and when Miguel Angel Jimenez gets hot and brings home the gold???  

Rory McElroy has a good week and gets silver. :P ::) :-\

« Last Edit: August 14, 2009, 04:26:00 PM by Michael Dugger »
What does it matter if the poor player can putt all the way from tee to green, provided that he has to zigzag so frequently that he takes six or seven putts to reach it?     --Alistair Mackenzie--

Will MacEwen

« Reply #65 on: August 14, 2009, 04:28:36 PM »

Why don't the Olympic committee just sanction the event with whichever PGA tour event is on at the time; whoever wins the tour event, their country is Olympic gold medalist. Easy.

Because that doesn't involve enough money and hookers for the IOC types.

Dean Stokes

« Reply #66 on: August 14, 2009, 04:37:17 PM »

Because that doesn't involve enough money and hookers for the IOC types.

Nicely put Will. As far as walking behind your country's flag go, we have the Ryder and Presidents Cup for that. We have the World Cup of Golf for that.

I know let's water golf down some more. We already have the above mentioned, we have 4 majors, The Players, the WGC events the Fed Ex Cup and now maybe The Olympics - GREAT.

john_stiles

« Reply #67 on: August 14, 2009, 04:54:56 PM »

Just cannot get excited about golf in the Olympics.    You have some reasons to add golf such as to 'hopefully' expand the game, give the best an opportunity to compete for their country, yada, yada.      It is hard to completely agree with all the reasons to do this in my opinion.

I can agree with almost any of the reasons not to include golf.     

Disregarding the pros and cons,   it will be still be another Olympics sport that I will not watch.

Tim_Cronin

« Reply #68 on: August 14, 2009, 11:50:35 PM »
The big problem with golf in the Olympics is that the sport now has to associate with the well-meaning fatheads who run the IOC. And sometimes they're not all that well-meaning.

The other problem, as so many of us have pointed out, is making the Olympic golf championship distinctive (beyond the name) and meaningful (beyond a standard 72-hole Tour tournament). I still like the Western Am format, because it offers stroke-play qualifying (and an opportunity to use that for a team championship) and a match-play Sweet Sixteen for the individual medals.

As for TV, at least in the U.S., Canada and the U.K., the rightholders use multiple channels for coverage. NBC could put golf on MSNBC or CNBC or USA or whereever, and throw a five-minute highlight package on the main network in the evening.
The website: www.illinoisgolfer.net
On Twitter: @illinoisgolfer

Dean Stokes

« Reply #69 on: August 15, 2009, 07:17:12 AM »
Has anyone discussed what the qualification process is going to be?

How do players qualify for the Olympic team?

Is it going to be like the world cup of golf? When we actually get to the event the top 10 players from each country do not actually play due to prior commitments or tiredness ;)

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #70 on: August 15, 2009, 10:19:53 AM »
Nicely put Will. As far as walking behind your country's flag go, we have the Ryder and Presidents Cup for that. We have the World Cup of Golf for that.
Maybe America does, but for other countries, especially those outside of Eurpoe then what flag do we walk behind - the RoW flag (Rest of World).  The other thing to keep in mind is that golf's major championships have only ever been held in two countries - the UK and the US.  With the Olympics it will bring a very significant golf event to other countries.

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #71 on: August 15, 2009, 11:54:23 AM »
I was brought up on the Olympics being amateur events.
Amateurs or shamateurs?  Were the Soviets amateurs - especially their boxers, basketball players or hockey players of that era?  What about the East Germans, Cubans, etc?  If you do something full time then IMHO you are a pro whether you are directly paid or not.  If you are a soldier in the Red Army and your job is to play hockey then you are a pro.  Same thing if you are a college student and your main "job" is to play basketball or football or golf.

Anthony Gray

« Reply #72 on: August 15, 2009, 12:19:00 PM »

It would help golf being considerd a sport. Tiger is in favor. Some euros say a gold medal is better than a major. It would showcase an international course than many are unfamiliar with. Many plusses.

Anthony

Mark Pritchett

« Reply #73 on: August 16, 2009, 09:26:54 AM »

It would help golf being considerd a sport. Tiger is in favor. Some euros say a gold medal is better than a major. It would showcase an international course than many are unfamiliar with. Many plusses.

Anthony

Agreed, it will be more important to other countries than than the USA.  Who knows how important it will be in the future.  It could become huge, but time will tell.

Brian Chapin

« Reply #74 on: February 05, 2011, 06:47:37 PM »
Has anybody heard anything about the venue for Rio 2016?  Will it be a new course?  Has an architect been hired?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back