News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jonathan Cummings

Hey wait a second!
« on: April 12, 2009, 06:56:06 PM »
I was pulling for Perry and quite glad for what he did through 72 but WTF????   He was in the scoring hut as Calberra gutted out a tie.  Where was Perry to congradulate Calberra????   Hell with Perry, I'm now routing for Calberra in the playoff!!

JC

Mike Wagner

Re: Hey wait a second!
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2009, 07:00:36 PM »
Who's Calberra?   ;)

Jonathan Cummings

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2009, 07:12:29 PM »
Sorry, Calbrera

Joe Bausch

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2009, 07:17:48 PM »
Sorry, Calbrera

Strike two JC.  Try again!  :)
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Kyle Harris

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2009, 07:24:29 PM »
JC,

What makes you think those events happened in real time?

There could have been a slight tape delay.

John Moore II

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2009, 07:26:51 PM »
That was a piss poor effort from 17 in to the end from Perry. He got exactly what he earned. Play that bad doesn't deserve to win. I wanted to see him win, I really did. But he blew it away as bad as Mickelson did at the Open, just not on one hole. Terrible.

David Stamm

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2009, 07:32:06 PM »
While Perry blew it to some degree, let's give Cabrera some credit. The guy made the putts when he had to on 18 twice! A deserving champ. Hall of Fame?
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2009, 07:33:26 PM »
Screw Cabrera, I'd rather watch Calberra or Calbrera any day!
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Kalen Braley

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2009, 07:41:17 PM »
Screw Cabrera, I'd rather watch Calberra or Calbrera any day!

Forget that, screw those guys too, I'd rather watch Caballeros!!!  ;D

My hats off to Angel for hanging in there but no doubt he got a major gift from KP gagging and choking his way to the finish line.

David Stamm

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2009, 07:44:21 PM »
Let's not forget Phil missing 2 gimmes when it mattered most.
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Kalen Braley

« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2009, 07:45:04 PM »
Let's not forget Phil missing 2 gimmes when it mattered most.

As well as that inexplicable shot he was trying to hit into #12.

Anthony Gray

« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2009, 08:00:43 PM »

I'M EXHAUSTED.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2009, 08:03:19 PM »
Its too bad they were so far back, but Tiger and Phil sure put on a helluva show thru the 16th hole.....that was some epic stuff.

And can we please, please put an end to this Phil can't carry Tigers jock business.

Same group, same day on ANGC on Sunday and Phil clearly outperformed El Tigre..

Andrew Bertram

« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2009, 08:07:28 PM »
When you decide to skip The Open and the US Open when you are eligible to play so you can chase Ryder Cup points in a weaker event you do not deserve to be a Masters Champion

Great for golf with such a quick player winning

Congratulations Angel, a deserved Champion

Matt Bosela

« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2009, 08:09:16 PM »
I agree with you JC.  I was pretty stunned that Perry did not shake hands with Cabrera on the green and just high-tailed it to the scoring tent.

I'll give him a bit of leeway, as his head was likely spinning after the bogey/bogey finish but still, regardless of whether you're heading to a playoff against the guy or not, you should shake the man's hand on the 18th hole.

Kyle Harris

« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2009, 08:09:35 PM »
That was a piss poor effort from 17 in to the end from Perry. He got exactly what he earned. Play that bad doesn't deserve to win. I wanted to see him win, I really did. But he blew it away as bad as Mickelson did at the Open, just not on one hole. Terrible.

And hitting a dead block into the trees right, and catching lumber on the second shot is any worse?

Kalen Braley

« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2009, 08:12:56 PM »
When you decide to skip The Open and the US Open when you are eligible to play so you can chase Ryder Cup points in a weaker event you do not deserve to be a Masters Champion

Andrew,

The irony of your statement is that Angel Cabrera decided to skip playing on the PGA Tour after he won the US Open in 2007 so he could chase titles in weaker events on the European and Asian tours...

So much for "karma"

Mike McGuire

« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2009, 08:14:38 PM »
I saw KP applauding as Angel walked toward him after holing the put on 18.

TEPaul

« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2009, 08:16:25 PM »
Why is it fans look for something to complain about no matter what? That was one of the most exciting Masters I've ever seen and I go back a long, long way!  

Congratulations to Angel Caballereeha!

By the way, Angel did it without his own unique sports psychologist who he fired over a year ago----his cigarettes!! That's really impressive.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2009, 08:20:22 PM by TEPaul »

Scott Warren

« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2009, 08:17:21 PM »

Andrew,

The irony of your statement is that Angel Cabrera decided to skip playing on the PGA Tour after he won the US Open in 2007 so he could chase titles in weaker events on the European and Asian tours...

If he'd already committed himself to those weaker events and fulfilled his commitment, I take my hat off to him...

JNC Lyon

« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2009, 09:24:41 PM »
I didn't see the handshake snafu after 18 in regulation, but I know Perry high-fived Cabrera after his par putt on the first playoff hole--total class right there.  I was rooting for Perry like everyone else, but his attitude and his game just didn't quite cut it to win a major.  He admitted this himself after the round, and it was good to see a player be totally honest about a loss.  He bared his mind soul about what he did coming down the stretch.

Perry took a lot of criticism, some of it deserved, for skipping the majors last year to qualify for the Ryder Cup.  However, I think he is a good guy, and his charity work has been well-documented and posted on this site before.  It is hard to fault a guy like that too much--nobody's perfect, and Perry does better than most.

At the end of the day, Angel Cabrera is a very worthy champion.  He played with a conviction that neither Perry nor Campbell had down the stretch.  His swing is more down the line and holds up better than Perry's loop or Campbell's laid-off position at the top.  Ultimately, though, it was his putting that made the difference.  16, 17, 18, and 18 playoff were all tremendous.  That's all that matters for winning a major.
"That's why Oscar can't see that!" - Philip E. "Timmy" Thomas

Brent Hutto

« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2009, 09:30:46 PM »
I agree that Cabrera looked more comfortable out there, at least on the 72nd hole and the playoff holes, than the other two players. From the time they arrived at the 18th tee for the playoff there was just moments of deer-in-the-headlights look from Campbell and Perry. Then again there's a big difference between chasing "your first major championship" and playing for "another major championship", eh?

JNC Lyon

« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2009, 09:36:34 PM »
I agree that Cabrera looked more comfortable out there, at least on the 72nd hole and the playoff holes, than the other two players. From the time they arrived at the 18th tee for the playoff there was just moments of deer-in-the-headlights look from Campbell and Perry. Then again there's a big difference between chasing "your first major championship" and playing for "another major championship", eh?

That's a good comment.  It looked like Campbell and Perry were surprised to be in that position, whereas Cabrera expected to be there.
"That's why Oscar can't see that!" - Philip E. "Timmy" Thomas

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back