News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bob Jenkins

Congrats to Jim Urbina!
« on: April 12, 2009, 02:04:31 PM »

The Vancouver Sun reported yesterday that Jim Urbina of Renaissance Design has been selected as the new architect for Marine Drive Golf Club and one of his first assignments is to rebuild the bunkers. Marine Drive is one of three private clubs inside the City of Vancouver and is in the same area as the other two private clubs, Shaughnessy and Point Grey.  An A.V. Macan design from 1923, Marine is only 6300 yards from the blue tees but is still a very good test. It has probably produced more outstanding golfers in this area than any other course and among them are Richard Zokol, Jim Nelford and more.

I believe this is the first project north of the border for Renaissance and having seen the bunker restorations by Renaissance at Pasatiempo and San Francisco, Marine's members will no doubt be pleased.

Hopefully we can find out more about the plans?

Mark Hissey

Re: Congrats to Jim Urbina!
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2009, 04:12:10 PM »
I'm proud to say that Jim is not only brilliant at what he does, but he is an absolutely wonderful friend. Nobody deserves it more.

PCCraig

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2009, 04:15:44 PM »
Congrats to Jim!
H.P.S.

David Stamm

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2009, 07:29:45 PM »
Congrats, Jim! Go get 'em!
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Sandy Smith

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2009, 11:25:25 PM »
I really don't know how this got in the paper but Jim will being doing work for Marine Drive GC. He is though working on this project on his own and not with Renaissance Golf .
Firm greens, firmer fairways.

Will Smith

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2009, 09:28:46 AM »
Well done, Jim.

Damon Groves

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2009, 10:51:37 PM »
I do not know Jim but having played Pacific Dunes, Stone Eagle and Ballyneal I have certainly seen his handy work. Couple that with the praise everyone, including Tom Doak, has for him shows this is clearly deserved.

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2009, 12:23:59 AM »
I am confused. I thought Jim handled all the shaping and detailed contruction in conjuction with Tom. Jim is without question one of our real great talents as well as good guys. I did not know he was an architect. cheers to Jim wherever I am confused.

Philippe Binette

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2009, 07:32:45 AM »
I don't know if it's Renaissance first project in Canada... I think they worked on the bunkers in Essex C.C.  in Windsor Ont... Jeff Mingay would confirm that

Philippe Binette

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2009, 07:37:49 AM »
Anyway though, it would be fun to see what Renaissance will do on this tiny site.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back