News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Kalen Braley

Re: 'El Pato' is "It"
« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2009, 12:26:18 PM »
Put me in the same group with the other Kenny Perry Homers.

The guy is classy, has done much to grow the game, and give back to it.  I'll be pulling hard for him, and the oldest major winner tag will be nice too!!  ;D

Richard Choi

« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2009, 01:26:01 PM »
As much as I would like to see Perry win it, Angel is just unflappable when his putter is going. If I was betting, he is where my money would go.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2009, 01:38:59 PM »
Kenny Perry is no slouch either.

He's won 4 PGA tournies in the last 10 months.  Can anyone on tour match that recent success rate?

JLahrman

« Reply #28 on: April 12, 2009, 07:37:42 PM »
I believe Cabrera has established two firsts...

First player to win a major championship while hitting a shank in the final round.

And looking at the 2007 US Open ceremony, I believe he is the first player in history to win two major tournaments while wearing the actual same shirt.

David Stamm

« Reply #29 on: April 12, 2009, 07:43:06 PM »

First player to win a major championship while hitting a shank in the final round.

And looking at the 2007 US Open ceremony, I believe he is the first player in history to win two major tournaments while wearing the actual same shirt.

I don't know, Jim. Some of TW's shirt's look similiar on Sunday. ;)
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #30 on: April 12, 2009, 08:01:02 PM »
Jim - refreshing to see a guy just walk up and hit it, isn't it?....

Peter,
Cabrera took a total of 30 seconds (I timed it) to line up and then strike his first putt on the second playoff hole. Beautiful. Too bad more players don't emulate his pace.

On another note, earlier I said that TV should do a better job of cutting to players when they were only a few seconds away from hitting a shot. CBS was very good in this department today, cutting away from slow pokes to show action somewhere else on the course.

Bravo to them. 
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Steve Lapper

« Reply #31 on: April 12, 2009, 08:31:25 PM »
I'd like to see Perry win it. He's a top notch guy, I think. And he might not ever get another chance; be a great Lifetime Achievement Award of sorts for him.

I'm really happy to see El Pato win another major :D.

Kenny Perry may well be a nice guy, but his continuing diminishment of the value of those Majors that don't "fit his game" demean a very important part of the game. The majors define a very large part of the competitive history of golf for me. The Masters and two Opens place some of the greatest values on every facet of a golfer's skill and perseverance. The Ryder Cup and yearly PGA schedule aren't even in the same ballpark. That may be just my opinion, but I'm hardly alone.

Kenny Perry has great skills and immense talent, but his aversion to the irregular challenges that the Majors present provide for the ultimate schadenfreude. The gods of the Majors will always favor those who rise to any and all challenges and hold high the privilege of competing against the best in the game at their most exalted venues and their grandest titles.

Angel Cabera has the right mentality. He shares that with a snappy pace (what a relief!), an emotive style and a knowledge of the history of the game. He is the real "top-notch" guy here and deserved this win by exhibiting the desire and perseverance of a true champion.

Grilled Skirt Steaks and a good Malbec for all tonight!!!
« Last Edit: April 12, 2009, 08:45:41 PM by Steve Lapper »
The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."--John Kenneth Galbraith

Kalen Braley

« Reply #32 on: April 12, 2009, 09:04:03 PM »
Steve,

I didn't see the "Major" Gods rise up and slap down Lee Trevino for skipping the Masters 3 times even though he had qualified to go.  Last I checked he won 6 Majors.

99.99% of pro golfers who ever played this game would love to have a major total like that.

PThomas

« Reply #33 on: April 12, 2009, 09:06:31 PM »
i guess Cabrera is a very nice guy, so good for him

2 different major wins, both times in very impressive fashion
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #34 on: April 12, 2009, 09:11:08 PM »
Jim - yup, I was watching. He slowed down a little, more practice swings here and there, a little longer over some putts. But he still moved liked one cool customer, even though he quit smoking after his US Open (remarkable -- if I was under that kind of pressure, I'd be smoking like Edward R Murrow...)

Peter 

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #35 on: April 12, 2009, 09:15:33 PM »
Steve,
Steaks and Malbec will be part of next years champion's dinner, along with empanadas and yerba mate.  ;D

Peter,
Too bad he didn't get that 4th round in the 60s.

Steve Lapper

« Reply #36 on: April 12, 2009, 09:22:04 PM »
Kalen,

Trevino never turned down multiple majors for consecutive seasons, did he? There were also issues, truly unrelated to the game of golf, that played a significant role back then. There were also issues of feeling "comfortable" and I'm not referring to shot shape!

99.9% of all contemporary golfers would love to play in EVERY major, if qualified....si?

PS...Seems the ghost of Bobby Jones is the one that haunts Kenny Perry...strikingly similar to Scott Hoch, no?
« Last Edit: April 12, 2009, 09:28:01 PM by Steve Lapper »
The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."--John Kenneth Galbraith

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #37 on: April 13, 2009, 10:21:03 AM »

The shirt is also very similar to the one that Jack wore when he won in 86.

George Pazin

« Reply #38 on: April 13, 2009, 10:44:27 AM »
I don't believe Perry skipped the Masters last year, I believe he wasn't invited.

Hats off to Cabrera, that scrambling par on the first playoff hole was awesome. Perry's struggles down the stretch were definitely sad, I was really hoping he'd pull it off, seems like a great guy.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Kalen Braley

« Reply #39 on: April 13, 2009, 10:56:07 AM »
George,

You are correct, I just looked at the list of invitees for 2008 and KP didn't qualify.

I still don't understand why KP gets so much flak for deciding to honor his sponsor commitments to play in tournaments that made playing in The Open a difficult fit for his schedule. Is it really that bad to be patriotic and do everything he could to qualify for the Ryder Cup team? Don't most of us really enjoy watching this event and get those chills when these guys tee it up not for personal glory but for country?

I just don't get the criticsm...I really don't.

TEPaul

« Reply #40 on: April 13, 2009, 10:57:32 AM »
May I ask a simple question? Who is "the Duck?"  ;)

Brent Hutto

« Reply #41 on: April 13, 2009, 10:58:04 AM »
From the transcripts of various comments he made this weekend, including after the round, I get the impression that Kenny Perry is a nice guy who is limited more by his own expectations than by his (more than ample) talent. He sure sounded like a guy who knew he was going to lose the tournament before he even played the final round. What a burden to bear for a golfer competing at the highest level of the game!

It actually makes me appreciate his physical gifts and emotional resilience even more. Playing that well while the little voice in your head says you have no chance to win is amazing. Then again, maybe he just says those things to appear humble.

Tom Yost

« Reply #42 on: April 13, 2009, 01:42:03 PM »
At the time, I didn't recognize it for the premonition it turned out to be, but Saturday morning, I looked out my window to find a duck swimming in my pool!

Somewhat later in the day, I was rooting around my pantry and found this:

:o

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #43 on: April 13, 2009, 02:36:43 PM »

That would be Cabrera. "El Pato" translates into 'The Duck" and he got the  nickname because of the way he walks.

Greg Tallman

« Reply #44 on: April 13, 2009, 03:20:42 PM »

Pinche gringos... no pueden hablar otras idiomas... ingles, ingles solamente ingles! ;)

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #45 on: April 13, 2009, 07:48:20 PM »
At the time, I didn't recognize it for the premonition it turned out to be, but Saturday morning, I looked out my window to find a duck swimming in my pool!

Somewhat later in the day, I was rooting around my pantry and found this:

:o

........so why weren't you at your bookies that evening?  ;)

Tom Yost

« Reply #46 on: April 13, 2009, 08:45:37 PM »

........so why weren't you at your bookies that evening?  ;)

big sigh...

Kalen Braley

« Reply #47 on: April 13, 2009, 08:47:19 PM »
People please.

I know they talk and look the same, but Angel is Argentinian not Mexican.  ;)

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #48 on: April 13, 2009, 08:56:48 PM »
Kalen,
Has anyone confused the Genial Argentine with the Merry Mex? 

Kalen Braley

« Reply #49 on: April 13, 2009, 09:00:41 PM »
Kalen,
Has anyone confused the Genial Argentine with the Merry Mex? 

Jim,

I thought that might be a bit vague...was referencing that the can of the The Duck is a "Mexican" hot sauce, not Argentianin...i know i know, I won't quit my day job.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back