News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jim_Kennedy

'El Pato' is "It"
« on: April 11, 2009, 07:41:47 PM »
Angel Cabrera is the only player left who has a chance at shooting in the 60s for all four rounds. This feat has been accomplished at every other major tournament except the Masters.

Probably a meaningless statistic but it's always impressed me (and posting about it keeps me away from other inanities, like cheater line threads  ;D

"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

David Stamm

Re: 'El Pato' is "It"
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2009, 07:48:54 PM »
I believe the Duck wins tomorrow.
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Ryan Farrow

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2009, 07:54:45 PM »
I hope not, did anyone else turn the TV off on the last 2 groups? Glad to see Furyk in the hunt, but its too bad most of the other players worth watching are pretty much out of it. If its a battle between Campbell, Perry, and Cabrera tomorrow, count me out. 

Will MacEwen

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2009, 08:14:32 PM »
I hope not, did anyone else turn the TV off on the last 2 groups? Glad to see Furyk in the hunt, but its too bad most of the other players worth watching are pretty much out of it. If its a battle between Campbell, Perry, and Cabrera tomorrow, count me out. 

I don't get how Furyk is so much more appealing than Cabrera, unless you find extended pre shot routines riveting?   ;)

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2009, 08:19:37 PM »
The Tiger/Phil pairing could get some fireworks going, and they are 'only' 7 back. A -4 front side from either/both of them tightens the cheeks of the leaders.

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2009, 08:32:18 PM »
David,
I think you're right, The Duck wins tomorrow.

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2009, 08:32:45 PM »
I'd say it is a 3 man race and Roberto de Vicenzo is flying north. Unless someone at -4 starts 4-3-3 before the leaders tee off.

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2009, 08:36:42 PM »
Pete,
Tiger and Phil should have 6 holes under their belts by the time Cabrera/Perry tee off. Plenty of time to get some fireworks started.

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2009, 08:40:14 PM »
Jim - refreshing to see a guy just walk up and hit it, isn't it? And it makes sense, too - if you're not feeling confident about your swing or playing the shot, how is standing there frozen over the ball for 30 seconds gonna help? I know, I know - they're "visualizing." But if you're taking 30 seconds, you're not visualizing, you're praying....

Peter
« Last Edit: April 11, 2009, 08:43:58 PM by Peter Pallotta »

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2009, 08:51:24 PM »
Peter,
I'm with you about Cabrera's style, but I don't begrudge a guy some time when he's playing for a million in cash and other untold rewards.

TV could, and should, do a better job of coming to a player only when he's 10 seconds or so away from hitting, with some exceptions for putting or trouble shots.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2009, 08:54:39 PM by Jim_Kennedy »

John Moore II

« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2009, 08:52:33 PM »
I'd like to see Perry win it. He's a top notch guy, I think. And he might not ever get another chance; be a great Lifetime Achievement Award of sorts for him.

Charlie Goerges

« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2009, 08:52:36 PM »
But if you're taking 30 seconds, you're not visualizing, you're praying....

Peter

...and as any decent law-abiding lapsed Catholic knows, 30 seconds of praying ain't near enough to guarantee a decent outcome.  ;)
Severally on the occasion of everything that thou doest, pause and ask thyself, if death is a dreadful thing because it deprives thee of this. - Marcus Aurelius

Anthony Gray

« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2009, 08:53:36 PM »
  Never knew that fact. Who has done it at the US Open?

Anthony

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2009, 08:55:24 PM »
Anthony,
Lee Jantzen.

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2009, 09:03:26 PM »
Jim - me neither, actually. But when everyone is doing it, I start to wonder if there isn't some mass brain-washing going on.

Charlie - 30 seconds or 3 hours, doesn't make much difference if your asking to break 70 when the whole world but you sees you can't break 90 (if that makes any sense)

Peter 
« Last Edit: April 11, 2009, 09:18:00 PM by Peter Pallotta »

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2009, 09:13:53 PM »
Peter,
The mass brainwashing happened many years ago.  

JK Moore,
I'd be happy to see Perry win it. I don't think I've ever seen a harsh word written about him and he really has that everyman thing going on.
In the category of sports figures as role models go, he'd definitely be a good choice.

PThomas

« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2009, 09:18:08 PM »
i'll take Perry
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2009, 09:42:18 PM »
I think this statistic was given on tv:

15 of the last 16 winners were in the final pairing.
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Tim Bert

« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2009, 09:46:16 PM »
Hamilton fires a 65 and takes home the green jacket without having a single shot televised...

David Stamm

« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2009, 10:33:36 PM »

I don't get how Furyk is so much more appealing than Cabrera, unless you find extended pre shot routines riveting?   ;)

Agreed, Will. I think Cabrera is a throw back. He's one of my favorites. And the man has uber talent.
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2009, 10:57:09 PM »
Hamilton fires a 65 and takes home the green jacket without having a single shot televised...

I wonder if they'll ask him to piss in a cup again should he win ::)

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2009, 11:12:41 PM »
I ws looking at the history of the final round scores of everyone from Tiger/Phil to Carbrera/Perry in their Masters appearances and not one of them has ever gone particularly low, with -3 the lowest.

Hope that doesn't hold true or the hoped for fireworks show will be a dud.

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2009, 12:32:20 AM »
Jim,
When you were writing Tiger-Phil, deep down did you really think Stevie-Bones?

Tim Gavrich

« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2009, 12:34:09 AM »
How are guys like Perry and Cabrera not worth watching?  Perry is the PGA Tour's "Grand Old Man" right now and would be the oldest major champion ever.  Plus he's an essentially unquestionably good guy and a humble, fierce competitor.  Cabrera has already turned in an incredible major performance at the 2007 Masters, plays aggressively, and breaks the typical PGA Tour player mold.

I'll be glued to the television tomorrow.  Anyone who can't find a compelling reason to watch needs to look harder, IMHO.
Senior Writer, GolfPass

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2009, 12:37:55 AM »
I'm a Furyk fan because he's local and such a non-Matinee idol hero, but I can't say I'd be too disappointed in the swashbuckingling bull Cabrera, or the southern gentleman who started his own public course, who now at a late age is realizing that perhaps The MAJORS were called that for a reason, Mr. Kenny Perry.

In fact, as I think about it most of the day, I'd love to see Kenny win because it simply shows that most of us still have a lot to learn at these later stages of life.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back