News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Criss Titschinger

Dale Hollow (Kentucky, with pics)
« on: April 13, 2009, 09:17:50 PM »
A couple weeks ago, I had the great opportunity to watch the U.S. National Soccer Team hand Trinidad and Tobago a 3-0 defeat in Nashville.  I drove back to Bowling Green, KY after the game. 

So naturally, instead of driving up 65 to 71 to head back to Cincinnati, I traveled about 2 hours out of my way to play Dale Hollow and then drove 4 hours back to Cincinnati.  I guess the smart thing would have been to play Olde Stone in Bowling Green.  Maybe next time.

I took pictures of the entire course, where the zoysia fairways were still dormant.  One thing my camera could not capture were the undulations of the greens.  Lots of movement going on here and I could only imagine playing these in the summer time and not shortly after aeration.

I walked away very impressed, enjoying the back 9 much more than the front.  Holes 12-15 have been described as a great stretch of golf, and I wouldn't disagree.  I'm glad I took the opportunity to visit the course, but it beat me up.

I can post more pics of any one is interested, but I thought I'd start out with a couple.

#2, Par 4, 348 from the tips.  The course starts out with two par 4s under 380 yards.  Here, the golfer can play safe to the left, but might not have the best angle to the green.  A play right brings lots of bunkers to play, but a shot hitting the fairway sets up a great opportunity for birdie.

#9, Par 4, 371 from the tips.  This green and the one at #7 are pretty wild with the undulations.  I didn't get a good picture of the green at 7, but I think this one from the back of the green looking down the hill at 9 shows just what the golfer deals with at Dale Hollow.  The tee shot is pretty tight with bunkers on either side.  There is a bunker about 40 yards from the green in front, forcing the player to go to the air on the second.

#12, Par 5, 618 from the tips.  Downhill, dogleft left par 5 where the green is not visible from the elevated tee.  The play is right side of the fairway on the tee shot and approach, but bunkers guard both.  Anything left could end up in the rocks.

#13, Par 4, 462 from the tips.  This one's a brute.  A long, dogleg left par 4.  The green is plenty long, but has many different tiers.  My approach shot was just short of the green, so I had this fun chip up to the pin in the back right.

#14, Par 5, 528 from the tips.  Lots of pictures get taken here.  The bailout is left, but the golfer is left with a tough approach shot.  The more the golfer chances to chew off the right, the more reward they are with a decent look at reaching the green in two.

The approach at 14

#15, Par 3, 194 from the tips.  Doug Ralston has mentioned this hole as one of the best par 3s in Kentucky, if not the best.  I've haven't played enough golf to make a statement like that, but I will say it's my favorite hole on a course with a lot of good ones.  I liked how the architect left the all carry to the big hitters, but made tees on the right side of the green so the front tees require no forced carry.  One of the most undulating of greens on a course of plenty of them.  Great challenge.

Richard Hetzel

Re: Dale Hollow (Kentucky, with pics)
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2009, 12:19:50 AM »
Chris,

Dale Hollow is on my list, it might have to wait until next year as Eagle Ridge, Stonecrest and Hidden Cove...thanks for the pics, ooks like an enjoyable course.
Best Played So Far This Season:
Crystal Downs CC (MI), The Bridge (NY), Canterbury GC (OH), Lakota Links (CO), Montauk Downs (NY), Sedge Valley (WI)

Chris_Blakely

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2009, 10:11:32 AM »
Criss,

I too have wanted to play this course for awhile; however, it is in a part of Kentucky that I rarely get to.  Maybe in the future.  Thanks for the pictures.

Chris

Ron Waterson

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2009, 12:48:40 PM »
Criss,

I've played Dale Hollow a half dozen times or so and I  like the design too.  I felt like it was a pretty tough course the first couple of times I played it, but after a few rounds, golf that is, I'm feeling a lot more comfortable with club selection and scoring much better.  It's a difficult place to judge distance off the tee, and the greens can be very difficult if your approaches end up on the wrong qaudrant or tier.  I think once you get a little feel for the tee shots, you will be more comfortable and those fairways won't look so tight.  The greens were not that fast at my last visit (a couple of weeks ago), but I have seen them pretty slick. 

All you had to do was stop at Keeneland after golf and you would have had the greatest two guy days possible in my opinion.

Ron

Doug Ralston

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2009, 11:47:10 PM »
Chris Clouser? Listening? I am not the kind to say I told you so but ...... no, wait, yes I am afterall.

Note: Eagle Ridge rated by GD up with great private courses, and Hidden Cove #1 in GKL.

Well, just go look.

http://parks.ky.gov/golftrail/default.htm

Doug
Where is everybody? Where is Tommy N? Where is John K? Where is Jay F? What has happened here? Has my absence caused this chaos? I'm sorry. All my rowdy friends have settled down ......... somewhere else!

Criss Titschinger

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2009, 12:34:27 PM »
Rich,

Eagle Ridge, Stonecrest, and Hidden Cove are all on my next to do list in Kentucky, along with Houston Oaks.  Dale Hollow was on that list too, and since it was on my way back from Nashville (sort of  :) ), I decided to get that one checked off.  I think the next course outside of Cincinnati I plan to hit up is Trophy Club.  I got to play Longaberger this past Saturday, which was an entertaining experience in its own.

Ron,

I would agree it's a pretty tough course.  The greens weren't too fast when I played, but the wind was blowing 1-2 clubs.  Add elevation changes and the state of my early season golf game...  I would say there are plenty of opportunities for birdies by longer/better players.  Not sure if I could have stomached Keeneland after my previous travels.  I was pretty zonked when I got back to Cincinnati  :)

BTW, love the GKL site you guys have.  It's a great resource for Kentucky golf!

Eric Smith

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2009, 12:53:38 PM »
Doug's always spoken highly of Dale Hollow so we'll give it a go for sure this summer.

Last summer our foursome had this place reserved for a day trip, it's right next to the course: http://www.vacationrentals.com/vacation-rentals/1692.html

Our plans changed last minute and we didn't get to play it, but I did go up and drive around the course one day.  It looks pretty difficult if you spray the ball, judging from the holes I saw.  It reminds me of the courses where I live, like Stonehenge at Fairfield Glade and RiverWatch.  Mountain ball, which I do enjoy in small doses. 

The best thing going for it is the setting.  Dale Hollow Lake is pristine.  We keep our boat on DHL and I can't imagine a prettier lake anywhere.  Just a few more weeks...

Chris_Clouser

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2009, 03:10:51 PM »
Doug,

What's your point?  I believe your comments about Dale Hollow.  Just haven't gotten down there yet.

Chris

Doug Ralston

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2009, 11:44:42 PM »
Doug,

What's your point?  I believe your comments about Dale Hollow.  Just haven't gotten down there yet.

Chris

Actually, just teasing you Chris. To be honest, I think these courses are great layouts, but lacking the detail work of courses we commonly discuss here. I'd call them Doak 6's, with the addendum that Eagle Ridge is unique like Tobacco Road is. You love it ..... or not. Still, I like ER, DH, and HC better than, for example, Purgatory, French Lick, and Rock Hollow. Hope you enjoy them too.

Doug

Where is everybody? Where is Tommy N? Where is John K? Where is Jay F? What has happened here? Has my absence caused this chaos? I'm sorry. All my rowdy friends have settled down ......... somewhere else!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back