News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike Benham

Re:PGA Tour event at The Institute, San Jose
« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2006, 11:04:12 PM »
The Institute is owned by the Fry's Electronic guys, right?  I don't understand the Institute of Mathematics part.....

John Fry, one of the Fry's, is a math wiz (technical term) ... The Morgan Hill property is the research conference center ...

Here is a list of upcoming workshops:

Mathematical and Geophysical Fluid Dynamics. February 13-17, 2006

p-adic representations, modularity, and beyond. February 20-24, 2006

Extreme forms of real algebraic varieties. April 6-9, 2006

The computational complexity of polynomial factorization. May 15-19, 2006

Low Eigenvalues of Laplace and Schrodinger Operators. May 22-26, 2006

Selfsimilar groups and conformal dynamics. June 5-9, 2006

Free Analysis. June 19-23, 2006

Calibrations. June 26-30, 2006

From the AIM website:

The American Institute of Mathematics, a nonprofit organization, was founded in 1994 by Silicon Valley businessmen John Fry and Steve Sorenson, longtime supporters of mathematical research.

The goals of AIM are to expand the frontiers of mathematical knowledge through focused research projects, through sponsored conferences, and through the development of an on-line mathematics library.

In addition, AIM is interested in helping to preserve the history of mathematics through the acquisition and preservation of rare mathematical books and documents and in making these materials available to scholars of mathematical history.
"... and I liked the guy ..."

ForkaB

« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2006, 11:14:32 PM »
Hey

I think we could contribute to:

"Selfsimilar groups and conformal dynamics. June 5-9, 2006"

Sounds like a GCA outing to me!

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2006, 09:47:57 AM »
Tim G.:

Of course I never thought of it that way - as I say I just want to see this golf course.   :-[

Apparently the news is out re this also - there's a front-page article in the San Jose Mercury-News on this today, with a huge picture of the course, and a routing diagram and yardage list on the inside.  

http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/13885723.htm

TH
« Last Edit: February 16, 2006, 09:58:52 AM by Tom Huckaby »

Mike Hendren

« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2006, 10:07:36 AM »
Mike,

They've not yet posted the session I'll be teaching on August 14th:  

Guhzintuhs:  Perpetuating the Jethro Bodine method of long division.  (i.e., 3 guhzintuhs 12 4 times)

Also coming soon, "Tiangulation For Sixteen Year Old Girls" taught by Michelle Wie.

See you there.

Mike

« Last Edit: February 16, 2006, 10:08:42 AM by Bogey_Hendren »
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Mike Benham

« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2006, 10:33:46 AM »
Oh, oh ... they are adding trees in non-native patterns ...

Linked without permission to the SJ Mercury News

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #30 on: February 16, 2006, 10:38:32 AM »
Interesting story also - note the writer (Barry Witt) has been covering this (and the analagous permit issues at Cordevalle) for so many years, I really believe The Insititute is his white whale.

Of course I would never do some as ILLEGAL (insert Smails voice) as cut and paste the story here.  But I encourage all interested to go the link I posted.  This event is obviously FAR from a done deal.

It is cool to see these pictures, and the diagram... one has to wonder how far off it will be until an NCGA course rating is required.

;)

John Keenan

« Reply #31 on: February 16, 2006, 01:36:01 PM »
The SF Chronicle in its golf "On Golf" article noted that VJ, Tom Pernice and Fred Funk played The Institute with Funk having the best score a 76. As mentioned earlier they played it the Monday before the AMEX. No comment by PGA re an event at the Morgan Hill course.

Also noted the PGA is looking at a Fall 2007 event at Running Horse in Fresno. This is a new Jack Nicklaus II course set to open later this year.

I was under the impression that the PGA was looking at less events not more.
The things a man has heard and seen are threads of life, and if he pulls them carefully from the confused distaff of memory, any who will can weave them into whatever garments of belief please them best.

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #32 on: February 16, 2006, 01:54:49 PM »
I guess 16 will be the drivable par-4 at 369 yards    ::)

Neal_Meagher

« Reply #33 on: February 16, 2006, 01:58:59 PM »
Matt,

No. 16 is downhill and downwind so you are correct about that.

It comes at a good point in the round as well.
The purpose of art is to delight us; certain men and women (no smarter than you or I) whose art can delight us have been given dispensation from going out and fetching water and carrying wood. It's no more elaborate than that. - David Mamet

www.nealmeaghergolf.com

Scott_Burroughs

« Reply #34 on: February 16, 2006, 04:50:10 PM »
...I would guess it was taken in the fall of 2004 as the course was shutting down for the winter.  That is why you can't see more than a handful of the bunkers as they are covered up for protection.

Shutting down for the winter?  In the Bay area?  Coldest months in 'winter' in Morgan Hill....avg high, 60, avg low, 38-39.

Is this just because it's the rainy season?  Or just club whim?    Those handful of days that it dips below 32 shouldn't be an issue....

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #35 on: February 16, 2006, 04:52:02 PM »
Scott - remember this is just a guy's back yard - it's not a golf course.  Mr. Fry probably doesn't like going outdoors in cooler weather... or at least not enough to continue to pay for daily maintenance of his "yard."

Tim Gavrich

« Reply #36 on: February 16, 2006, 06:41:48 PM »
Tim G.:

Of course I never thought of it that way - as I say I just want to see this golf course.   :-[

Apparently the news is out re this also - there's a front-page article in the San Jose Mercury-News on this today, with a huge picture of the course, and a routing diagram and yardage list on the inside.  

http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/13885723.htm

TH
TH--
  I did not mean to sound antagonistic towards anyone but the PGA Tour.  I was just ranting about the Commissioner's attitude towards the coming years.  I do not mean to belittle the good fortune this brings to the Bay Area (frankly, San Fran/San Jose and environs deserve a regular Tour event anyhow; Pebble Beach is an area unto itself, and i count it separately).  I hope that whatever tournament comes to you all is as (or more) loyally-supported as whatever tournament(s) it may  ultimately replace.

"Backyard" golf courses such as The Institute are of high interest to me.  I am in awe of the secrecy of some of the most elite and exclusive clubs.  I will always be amazed that a few months ago, I looked down a dirt road in Plymouth, MA, with no idea whatsoever that an extremely good Coore & Crenshaw design (Old Sandwich CC) lay about 3 miles to my left.  Hence also my interest in such places as Due Process Stables, The Bridge, that late Australian billionaire's course, Vineyard GC on Martha's Vineyard (which supposedly has fewer than 100 members), and a course called Morefar (?) on the NY-CT line that allegedly requires a helicopter to get to the club, as there are no roads that lead to the club itself.

If anyone has any information or pictures of such places as these, I'd be very interested to see them.
Senior Writer, GolfPass

Jim Nugent

« Reply #37 on: February 17, 2006, 03:17:54 AM »
From the article in the Mercury-News: "The retroactive zoning approved by the Morgan Hill City Council in July 2004 restricted use to no more than 36 golfers a day and specifically excluded the possibility of golf tournaments because the environmental consequences of bringing 20,000 or more daily spectators to the city's rural eastern foothills had never been evaluated."

"The environmental consequences...to the city's rural eastern foothills had never been evaluated."  I like that statement.  Such an evaluation would have as much value as measuring the effect on the weather.  None.  Because the environment, like the weather, is far too complex for us to evaluate in that fashion.  The do-gooders and social engineers run amok, again.  

Gib_Papazian

« Reply #38 on: February 17, 2006, 06:11:11 PM »
Gentlemen,

"Two conservation groups, the Santa Clara Valley Audubon Society and the Committee for Green Foothills, are reviewing legal options."

The Committee for Paranoid, Elitist, Zillionaire Nimby's is going to give John Fry more tussle than he bargained for. These people - including Julia Bott's "Park Preservation" organization - are relentless, dishonest and carry a long  history of trampling on people's rights. If you look up "Enviro-Nazi" in the dictionary, you will see Julia Bott's picture with the rest of her well-connected leftist coterie.

I wish John Fry all the luck in the world, but I sat there and watched Julia Bott (when she was the head of the Sierra Club)  for years. There is simply no way to negotiate with them in good faith. These people are experts at ambush, stealth and underhanded political maneuvers.

They have an endless list of hysterical wackos to show up, agitate, protest and scream outrage at public meetings (for the sympathetic media)  - as well as the skill and legal firepower to delay delay delay delay until even the most committed person will finally run out of money and stomach lining.

I am still confused (believe it or not, I have never been on the property) as to why there was such a ruckus when Flying Lady Golf Course existed on the same site for decades. I know it had been abandoned for a few years, but technically, would that not be a remodel of an existing course in terms of permitting?

I hope John Fry has plenty of intestinal fortitude, I've seen these unreasonable, irrational, lunatic activists work against a golf course for the public players in San Mateo County.

The San Mateo Golfer's Association was a large collection of honest, hardworking people of limited means who just wanted what was agreed to (a recreational easement for a golf course) as part of a 1966 land trade with San Francisco in exchange for moving Hiway 280 further from the watershed on San Mateo County land.

The fight went on for more than 30 years. Julia Bott, in collusion with Willie Brown and Marion Otsey (Public Utilities Commission), finally wore them out. Most had moved away or died when Willie Brown shoved the knife in their backs in 1999.

John Fry better make sure to wear a flak jacket and keep a vile of Rabies antidote close at hand . . . . .  
« Last Edit: February 17, 2006, 06:15:50 PM by Gib Papazian »

Mike Benham

« Reply #39 on: February 17, 2006, 07:07:06 PM »
From the article in the Mercury-News: "The retroactive zoning approved by the Morgan Hill City Council in July 2004 restricted use to no more than 36 golfers a day and specifically excluded the possibility of golf tournaments because the environmental consequences of bringing 20,000 or more daily spectators to the city's rural eastern foothills had never been evaluated."

Jim -

I believe it was a temporary permit that allowed the 36 golfers a day and the permit was to expire in the summer of 2005.  I have not heard if it was extended or not.

Mike

David Bischoff, city director of community development, said Wednesday he decided to issue the temporary use permit requested by The Institute so it can keep the greens from deteriorating while it works to meet the environmental requirements of four agencies.

But Bischoff wants all "i"s dotted and "t"s crossed before allowing anyone to play on the course located in the eastern foothills of Morgan Hill.

The permit will be valid through April 19, 2005, Bischoff said.

Once conditions are met, play not to exceed 16 rounds of golf a day during daylight hours, will be allowed until Sept. 30, 2004."
« Last Edit: February 17, 2006, 07:08:55 PM by Mike Benham »

JohnV

« Reply #40 on: March 01, 2006, 01:44:31 PM »
I just saw a notice on PGATour.com that Fry's is going to sponsor the Las Vegas Invitiational for 2006.  Since the press release says it is just for this year, it probably means that they are going to move it to San Jose next year if they can get the permissions.

http://www.pgatour.com/story/9271758

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #41 on: March 02, 2006, 09:03:05 PM »
I saw somewhere...sorry, I forgot where...that plans for an event at The Institute had "fallen through".

Mike Benham

Re: PGA Tour event at The Institute, San Jose
« Reply #42 on: April 12, 2009, 11:29:14 PM »
I heard this week that the PGA Tour Event at The Institute is ON for the West Coast Swing in 2010 ...

Kalen Braley

« Reply #43 on: April 13, 2009, 12:18:58 AM »
I heard this week that the PGA Tour Event at The Institute is ON for the West Coast Swing in 2010 ...

Mike,

Interesting...to take the place of which event?

Tim Leahy

« Reply #44 on: April 13, 2009, 05:02:13 PM »
I believe it is the Frye's event in Tucson, moving there. But, I still have not read anything about the course getting the OK to open and apparently the traffic is also an issue. :o
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back