News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John Nixon

Watching the internet coverage of Amen Corner yesterday, I was surprised at the number of players hitting their approaches to the right of the green, and then struggling with the speed of the chip/putt downhill to the hole. A few others seemed to take it more to the right side of the green proper, and ended up with a more manageable third shot. Craig Stadler, in particular, handled it very well - hit it off the big bump, wind up a short distance off the green and make a good chip close for easy par.

I understand the reluctance to flirt with water left, but it seems an unnecessarily safe route that brings bogey into the equation all too easily. And I won't bother mentioning Tiger's hitting the green from the pinestraw.

What am I not getting - the difficulty of the shot, the fear factor of the water, or what?

Kalen Braley

Re: I may be naive, but I don't get the bailout right at #11 at ANGC
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2009, 10:00:39 AM »
John,

I think its just basic course management.

Option 1) Play safe with approach shot, try to get it up and down for a par, worst case scenario take bogey.

Option 2) Go at the green and if ball goes in water, now you take a drop in an awkward spot and you bring double bogey or worse in the equation.  And your now fighting to get it up and down just to save bogey.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2009, 10:02:11 AM by Kalen Braley »

Anthony Gray

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2009, 10:00:42 AM »

The miss to the left is death. The length of the 2nd shot and the downhill lie makes it a tough target.

Anthony

Jeff Shelman

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2009, 10:19:40 AM »
I was out there on Monday for the first time ever and No. 11 surprised me with how difficult it looks.

The hole is 505 yards on the card. It's downhill, but it looks like an awkward downhill. What I mean by that is that the player is going to end up with a downhill lie on the second shot, but it's not so far downhill that the tee shot is going to run and run.

The Thursday pin being way up front makes it more difficult as the water seems more in play than when the pin is further back in the green. I think because of the distance and the lie, some players don't like the risk in going right at the pin.

If the pin is further back today, I think you'll see more guys on the right side of the green.

Philippe Binette

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2009, 10:22:49 AM »
The players don't necessarily go right on purpose...

As Johnnny Miller often says and I think he's right on that, downhill shots brings a tendency to pull the ball left for whatever reasons... so you have to fight that too.

John_Cullum

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2009, 10:23:29 AM »
It's clearly much more difficult an approach than it appears on television. They had struggled with this approach shot for decades until the ball started going so far. Now they have added a seemingly ridiculous amount of length to put the fear factor back in. The pond does encroach into the line of play more than you can see on TV, and you have to drop in a drop zone; it's not a lateral hazard
"We finally beat Medicare. "

archie_struthers

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2009, 10:33:48 AM »
 ;D :D ;)

It 's really a lot harder than it appears on the tube, as John just indicated .  The problem is two-fold in that if youget it spinning just a little right to left and its a little short the ball kicks hard towards the water. If you carry it a little too far the ball can get to the back of the green really fast , and two putting from there is extremely difficult.   

Mr Hogan had pretty good control of his golf ball and if memory serves me he said something like this   >>>>  "if you ever see me on the green when the pin is front left, I made a mistake......

Eric_Terhorst

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2009, 10:59:22 AM »
What am I not getting - the difficulty of the shot, the fear factor of the water, or what?

John, are you forgetting that all the current top players have burned into their brains the images of Larry Mize winning the tournament despite bailing right on the final playoff hole?  Norman was inside him, on the right edge of the green with a putter in his hands as I recall...

Matt_Ward

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2009, 11:24:08 AM »
John N:

It's fairly simple ...

You miss left and you now bring into play DB = 6 or even more.

You miss right the likely highest number you can get = 5.

As others have mentioned the hole has been excessively lengthened but the real issue is the manner by which the Hootie-added trees on the right have really forcd the issue from the tee shot perspective.

John Nixon

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2009, 11:34:27 AM »
Thanks for the feedback. I figgered I was just uninformed. I had heard the Hogan quote before too, but had forgotten it.

So what do ya'll make of Tiger's approach yesterday - brilliant, foolhardy, something ok for him, but not mere mortals, or what?

Kalen Braley

« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2009, 11:39:46 AM »
John,

Compared to some of the other stupidly insane shots he's pulled off over the years I'd only put that one at a medium level of difficulty...for him.

Mike Benham

« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2009, 02:20:49 PM »
But when the hole is back left on Sunday, where do they bailout?

Middle or middle right on the green ... I don't see why they can't play that same shot today ...
"... and I liked the guy ..."

Patrick_Mucci_Jr

« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2009, 05:43:38 PM »
John,

You also have to consider the cant of the fairway in the DZ.

It's an intimidating shot without a fairway cant.

And, the fairway continues to cant toward the water down near the green.

As many have said, it's difficult to make a big number if you aim right of the green.

While you can't win the tournament on the 11th hole, you sure can lose it on the 11th hole, and that explains why discretion is the better part of valor.

John Moore II

« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2009, 08:54:03 PM »
Well, I think Hogan once said that if he hit the ball on that green, he'd pulled his shot from the fairway. Its a downhill lie, the green, I think tends to run towards the water, and anything a bit short or left is in the drink. Its a very difficult hole.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2009, 09:33:26 PM »
Archie, William Benjamin Hogan always said "I'm not Mr. Hogan; that's my father."  Sad story, that one.

Bob Jones used to say "the reason for this bail-out area is simple; one day an unknown local will hole out from here to drive a stake through the heart of an Australian vampire."  That's all there is to it.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Steve Lang

« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2009, 11:30:02 PM »
 8) end of discussion

p.s. even at tour 18 that water looms large on what can be a fairly long approach shot.. 5 yards left of line and you're dead.. and looking at scorecard
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Mike Hendren

Re: I may be naive, but I don't get the bailout right at #11 at ANGC New
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2009, 12:15:05 PM »
I was there yesterday and the wind was coming hard from the left.  No way to get it close.  Tiger did so with a short iron on his THIRD shot. 

Mike
« Last Edit: April 11, 2009, 12:51:36 PM by Michael_Hendren »
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back