News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ed Oden

Daniel Island - Beresford Creek (with pics)
« on: April 13, 2009, 01:04:07 AM »
Fellow GCAer Bart Bradley and I played the Beresford Creek course at Daniel Island last week.  Thanks to Roger Wolfe for setting us up.  Beresford Creek is a 2000 Fazio design.  Unlike some on this board, I don’t think Fazio is the anti-Christ.  But he is also far from my favorite.  I’ve played 25 or so of his courses and generally find them very solid, enjoyable to play, but rarely great.   Beresford Creek pretty much fits that bill.  Is it unique or singularly outstanding?  Probably not.  Is it worth a play if you get a chance?  Absolutely.  You’ll  find a course with enough really good holes to counter the mundane ones that hold it back.

Pros:  For a housing development course, the homes are set well back and are noticeable only on a few holes.  A really solid set of par 5s.  Nice variety to the Par 4s.  A good mixture of fun and challenge.

Cons:  Although housing doesn’t encroach upon play, I suspect it impacted the routing in spots.  Par 3s are extremely underwhelming.  Not much of a walking course.  A bit too much water for my taste.

The course stretches to 7202 yds from the tips.  We played one tee up at 6849 yds.  However, consistent with most Fazio courses I have played, the course played much shorter than the marked yardage.  Here is a tour:

#1 – 465 yard par 4 – A good, tough opening hole.  Drive must steer clear of the right fairway bunker.

The approach requires a long iron to a green with more contour than shows in this picture.

#2 – 393 yard par 4 – Another solid par 4.  In order to get the best angle to the green, you need to challenge the marsh and trees on the left side.

Play it safe to the right side and you have to contend with the right front greenside bunker on your approach.

#3 – 551 yard par 5 – In my opinion, this is the best hole on the course and likely the most strategic.  From the tee, you either play short or left of the fairway bunkers.

From the fairway, you can play conservatively and lay up short or right of the left fairway bunkers, leaving a shot of about 150 yards.  Or you can be slightly more aggressive and play beyond the bunkers on the left, leaving a shot of less than 100 yards.  Or you can have a go for the green.

If you choose the first option, the right side does not provide as good an angle…

… as the left side.

And if you choose the second option, the resulting short wedge still requires some care.

#4 – 187 yard par 3 – Nothing of note on this mail in job par 3.

#5 – 362 yard par 4 – Not much strategy here.  Just an iron or fairway wood off the tee…

…and a short iron approach.

#6 – 434 yard par 4 – After a couple of pedestrian holes, we’re back on track with a strong par 4.  From the tee…

…and the approach.

#7 – 358 yard par 4 – And then a decent cape hole.  The tee shot can either be played conservatively between the bunkers or aggressively over the right bunker, bringing water into play.

The green has more movement to it than can be seen here.

And these guys are hanging around back in case you go long.

#8 – 584 yard par 3 – Another  good par 5, this time a 3 shotter.  Unfortunately, I only have a single pic from the tee,

#9 – 209 yard par 3 – The best of the par 3s, which isn’t saying much.

#10 – 576 yard par 5 – The back nine starts with another very good par 5.  The yardage is a bit deceptive.  A big drive…

…will leave a chance to go for the green, but the better play is probably a layup to the right, which leaves a simple wedge for the 3rd.

#11 – 412 yard par 4 – I didn’t like this one much.  Too many bunkers on the opposite side of the fairway from the water.

The approach.

#12 – 398 yard par 4 – But the mundane 11th is followed by a terrific 12th.  The safe play is short of the right bunker.  But that leaves a full or partially blind approach.  The aggressive line is over the  left bunker.

I like this green site.

#13 – 448 yard par 4 – A challenging if not inspiring hole.  From the tee…

…and the approach.

#14 – 410 yard par 4 – OK, I know this is another Fazio tree in the fairway hole.  But I actually like this one.   The best angle to the green is to squeeze your tee shot between the tree and the bunkers on the left.

If like me, you bail out right, here is what you’ve got.

#15 – 238 yard par 3 – Another boring par 3.

#16 – 530 yard par 5 – A fun reachable par 5.

But the bunker guarding the front right of the green is brutal.

#17 – 198 yard par 3 – Thankfully, the last of the par 3s.  Its not necessarily good.  But at least they’re all done now.

#18 – 449 yard par 4 – A tough finisher.  The drive is a bit disorienting…

…the approach is not.

So there you have it.  While Beresford Creek probably won’t change your life, I also doubt it will disappoint.

Ed

Rob Rigg

Re: Daniel Island - Beresford Creek (with pics)
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2009, 01:24:59 AM »
Ed,

These photo tours are awesome and the commentary is great - thanks!

You said you liked 10 - how did the tree "blocking" the second impact the strategy of the hole. Can you work around it or is it an auto layup? I tend to get frustrated when the architect throws a tree in front of the green . . .

Also, seems like a lot of the green sites are very similar - ie) slightly elevated with a higher back, that slopes to the front. Kind of "saddle" like - did you find it mundane?

Adrian_Stiff

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2009, 03:54:24 AM »
Nice pics. Rob- I agree there is a lot of copying and although very nice things tend to look the same, greens, fairways, hole concepts and bunkering. Still overall nice but perhaps not enough variety.
A combination of whats good for golf and good for turf.
The Players Club, Cumberwell Park, The Kendleshire, Oake Manor, Dainton Park, Forest Hills, Erlestoke, St Cleres.
www.theplayersgolfclub.com

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2009, 08:57:43 AM »
Ed,

Thanks for posting these. Just curious if you saw any of the Rees course?

Ed Oden

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2009, 10:48:38 AM »
Rob, the pictures of #10 are deceiving with respect to distance.  That tree is probably 100 yards short of the green.  Its not as high as it looks so players going for the green won't have much trouble clearing it.  And if you are laying up, then the play is to the right.  The only time I can see it really coming into play would be if you found trouble off the tee and had to layup short of the tree.

Adrian and Rob, you are right, there is clearly some repetitiveness, particularly in the greens and the par 3s.  Maybe if I played there every day it would get a bit old.  But for a single round there was still enough variety to keep it interesting.

Mike, no we did not get to the Rees course.  This was a VERY late addition to our trip.   We only had a small window to fit an extra morning round in before heading to greener (or more accurately, browner) pastures.

Ed

JNC Lyon

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2009, 10:56:37 AM »
For those of you who have played both, how does it compare to Seth Raynor's Yeamans Hall nearby, and why would you choose to play at Daniel Island over Yeamans, or, for that matter, Wild Dunes, Bulls Bay, Kiawah Island, or CC of Charleston?
"That's why Oscar can't see that!" - Philip E. "Timmy" Thomas

Ed Oden

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2009, 12:04:45 PM »
For those of you who have played both, how does it compare to Seth Raynor's Yeamans Hall nearby, and why would you choose to play at Daniel Island over Yeamans, or, for that matter, Wild Dunes, Bulls Bay, Kiawah Island, or CC of Charleston?

JNC, I've played all the courses you mention except Bulls Bay.  In fact, Beresford Creek was a late substitute when we couldn't arrange Bulls Bay in our narrow time slot.  Return visits to CC of Charleston and Yeamans were the other rounds on this particular trip.  Of those mentioned, Yeamans and The Ocean Course are, in my opinion, a cut above the rest.  Personally, I prefer Yeamans.  There is just a special feel about the place.  Regardless, you'd never pick Beresford Creek over either of those options.  CC of C is vastly improved, but the front nine there is still relatively weak.  The course doesn't really gain momentum until #11.  I'd give CC of C the nod over Beresford Creek since it has a few very distinctive holes and features.  But its not by the landslide you might think.  Wild Dunes and Beresford Creek are about even in my eyes.  Anyway, my point wasn't to trumpet Beresford Creek as the greatest thing since sliced bread.  But its still solid enough to hold your interest if more prestigious options aren't available.

Ed

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back