News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Anthony Gray

"DESIGN INTEREST"
« on: April 08, 2009, 06:46:59 AM »

With all the recent talk and threads concerning rankings and criteria I would like to see this term discussed. Jeff Brauer used this term "Design Interest" a couple of weeks ago.

Isn't design interest what makes a course worth playing?

Some of the knocks on Muirfield are that it is not that interesting.

Courses like Tobacco Road, Cruden Bay, Pacific Dunes are worth the trip because their designs are interesting.

Would you rather play a Muirfield or a North Berwick?

What are some architectual eliments that add interest to the course?

What are modern examples of "design interest"?

Shouldn't this be a major criteria for rankers?

Anthony

Steve Lang

Re: "DESIGN INTEREST"
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2009, 07:24:05 AM »
 8) Design Interest example.. how Tot Hill would rank above Tobacco Road..
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Anthony Gray

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2009, 07:29:48 AM »

When You look at that bunker style at Castle Stewart, doesn't your mouth water? Don't those videos stir your interest? Give us more of this.

Anthony

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2009, 08:21:58 AM »
Anthony,

Thanks for the props on the phrase "design interest." Still need to copyright that , I guess.

You have sort of hit part of it on the head with your second post - some golfers looke at aesthetics, others look at how it plays.  Other than the possibly more penal nature of ragged edged bunkers, I think placement trumps looks in bunker work as far as design interst and when I used the term, I was thinking in terms of how it played more than how it looked..

To me, there are a few different overriding architectural philosophies.  One is the US Open mentality where the aim is to punish a miss.  The other is to try to create certain types of shots that are interesting, varied, etc.  Of course, there is the freeway mentality for munies and the "help the golfer" mode.  And, golf courses probably have more blends in their designs than a trendy coffeehouse.

I was working on a design yesterday and on the plane home, penciled in the basic shots called for. It turns out that there are almost an equal number of fades and draws, plus a couple of "You pickems" and two RTJ pinched fw, plus one layup short of the creek.  The wind varies pretty well on each, so there may be call for high and low fades, etc., so I think I got a good variety of tee shots.  The approaches were about the same, but I am still working out the green plans.

Features can count, too.  When I look at my nearby courses of Colbert Hills and Sand Creek Station in Kansas, CH focuses on challenge, while SCS focuses more on interesting shots, with historic examples of Redan, Road Hole, etc., which I find interesting but a competitive golfer might not.  It might be a modern example, but it relies on old time concepts.  Are they interesting because they aren't seen much today?  Or do they create certain shots. I am still assessing the results of holes like the Biarritz to see if they are interesting in today's play or just features that make golfers go "hmm?"

I got my new GD last night and I agree that the criteria, for my money, should be a little more skewed to how does a golf course create various shots.  Maybe they feel that there isn't enough need to work the ball any more to make that worthwhile!
Of course, Tobacco Road really has a bit of both, doesn't it?
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Philippe Binette

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2009, 08:34:51 AM »
Anthony,

about Muirfield, I love the place, think it's genius but, like many great pieces of art it is a hard one to understand and I'm sure there is a lot more than what I've seen there.

Muirfield against North Berwick, wow...

Muirfield interest lies more in battling that golf course as a whole, managing your round. It's more a mental test, your strategy is over stuff that is along the ground, contours, slope angles etc.

North Berwick is more about playing the dramatic shots that when all combine provide a very fun golf course. There's nothing subtle there at first glance, bold wild design ideas that get your heart pumping...

Two amazing form of design interest, but completely different.

Rankings are impossible to get right... Personally, there are great courses and then there's the rest (doesn't mean that they are bad)... I don't really know where I draw the line in between, it just happens

Imagine playing a course 5 days in a row twice a day, if you are still eager to step on the tee the 5th day... it's a great course

Ross Tuddenham

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2009, 08:50:04 AM »
“You have sort of hit part of it on the head with your second post - some golfers look at aesthetics, others look at how it plays.”

It is true that different golfers look for different things but I think most would agree that the feeling of accomplishment is present for all players of all abilities in determining the interest they perceive in a design.

So I think design interest is placing hazards either physical or mental that mean all players at some point are challenged to try something different from what was required on their other shots.  This sense of achievement will provide the interest at the time and also the desire to come back and conquer different elements of the design in the future.

Saying a hole has design interest because it requires a fade or draw is adequate if you can play a fade or draw but what about those that can’t, does that then become “design frustration”.   You could argue that this should encourage the player to improve but this may not always be possible.

Anthony Gray

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2009, 09:04:00 AM »

The baranca on Pebble Beach hole 2 for me is design interest.

Pac Dunes hole 7 with the ridges in the fairway is design interest. They effect play but also add wonderful aesthetic appeal.

These are examples of features, but also I think having a drivable par 4 and an unreachable par 4 on the same course is design interest.

It is a broad topic but I think it is what the golf aficionado is crying out for.

Anthony

Philippe Binette

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2009, 09:11:00 AM »
Most courses are built with direct 'design interest'... bunkers here, dramatic carries there etc... that you would think would force different strategy but most often the players will always approach it the same way day in day out, because those hazards don't move and are too big to be played around.

Contours, slope angles etc... and subtle or indirect design interest elements that needs to be played differently because of hole location, wind, firmness of ground... that's missing from most new courses

Anthony Gray

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2009, 09:27:53 AM »

How about the long par 3 that requires a driver and the short one where it is just a wedge?

Anthony

Kirk Gill

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2009, 10:25:38 AM »
Pat Mucci started a thread some time back where he wrote about little things that could be done cheaply to create more interest in golf holes without a lot of disruption to the existing course. I've kind of had that thought in my head a lot since then, when thinking about golf course design, and in particular some of the muni courses that I get to play most often.

Of course bunker placement, and barrancas and the like create interest, and for some a bunch of water features create interest. But that wasn't (in general) what I remember Pat talking about. I think of little things that add major interest - subtle contouring that either creates a way to get a ball onto the green in an indirect fashion along the ground, or even a little rise just in front of (or in the middle of!) a green that might direct poorly struck pitches away from their intended target. I love that kinda stuff - things that you don't necessarily appreciate the first or second time you play a hole but that you come to know over time........

It also seems to me that interest doesn't necessarily need to be created by increasing the amount of penalty on a hole.
"After all, we're not communists."
                             -Don Barzini

Eric Smith

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2009, 10:46:44 AM »
Pat Mucci started a thread some time back where he wrote about little things that could be done cheaply to create more interest in golf holes without a lot of disruption to the existing course. I've kind of had that thought in my head a lot since then, when thinking about golf course design, and in particular some of the muni courses that I get to play most often.

Of course bunker placement, and barrancas and the like create interest, and for some a bunch of water features create interest. But that wasn't (in general) what I remember Pat talking about. I think of little things that add major interest - subtle contouring that either creates a way to get a ball onto the green in an indirect fashion along the ground, or even a little rise just in front of (or in the middle of!) a green that might direct poorly struck pitches away from their intended target. I love that kinda stuff - things that you don't necessarily appreciate the first or second time you play a hole but that you come to know over time........

It also seems to me that interest doesn't necessarily need to be created by increasing the amount of penalty on a hole.

Yes sir I remember the thread.  I wrote on there that my introduction to cool architecture was Doak's Heathland course in 1992.  There is a big mound front right before the 2nd green, creating a blind approach.  One of the coolest things I ever remember seeing and loved how it played.  Like a mystery, those few seconds of not knowing how your shot ends up.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2009, 05:02:15 PM »
Eric:

Just for the record, that approach shot doesn't have to be blind ... if you keep your tee shot out to the left you can see the green just fine.  But a large percentage of people, knowing the hole doglegs right, leak their tee shot to the right and leave themselves a blind pitch (and a tough angle as well).

Bill_McBride

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2009, 06:54:40 PM »

With all the recent talk and threads concerning rankings and criteria I would like to see this term discussed. Jeff Brauer used this term "Design Interest" a couple of weeks ago.

Isn't design interest what makes a course worth playing?

Some of the knocks on Muirfield are that it is not that interesting.

Courses like Tobacco Road, Cruden Bay, Pacific Dunes are worth the trip because their designs are interesting.

Would you rather play a Muirfield or a North Berwick?

What are some architectual eliments that add interest to the course?

What are modern examples of "design interest"?

Shouldn't this be a major criteria for rankers?

Anthony

If you haven't played Muirfield you don't know how much "design interest" is out there.

You typically start on #10 with a morning four ball, and the first thing you have to do is hit two shots totalling 410-420 yards that carry a huge cross bunker - on a par 4!  :o  Is that interesting design?

#11, blind tee shot straight up hill.  #17, more great cross bunkers.

I could go on.  I never can understand why people say Muirfield is boring, or without character, or whatever.  That is one wonderful golf course with a whole lot going on.

Carl Rogers

« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2009, 08:20:29 PM »
What is starting to interest me is the how the game is overlayed on an overarching landscape design, and where you scratch your head a little bit trying to figure out how the property presented itself to the GCA in its primordial state.

Rob Rigg

« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2009, 09:20:20 PM »
I love courses where an architect can create design interest from land that may not be very appealing at first glance.

To Anthony's point earlier - a canvas may be flat but it does not have to be boring. By using hole length, fairway width, and any available features on a course, I believe design interest can be created naturally.

It will take longer for the architect to "find" the "right routing" and it may not create a "top 100 championship all world course" everytime but I think that these types of courses may be the future of golf, especially for courses that are walkable, fairly low budget and easy to build/maintain.

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2009, 09:41:52 PM »
Jeff B - your post #3 was really good, thanks.

I was struck by a number of points (and the "more blends in their designs than a trendy coffee house" is a keeper!!).  I'll focus on one: you metion that there are different overriddng architectural philosophies, one of which is the "help the golfer" mode.   If an architect is in that mode, if that's his over-riding principle, do you think he can ever actually come up with a course like the one you describe designing on the plane, i.e. one that calls for an almost equal number of fades and draws etc, even before factoring in the wind? I guess what I'm saying is that the course you're designing sounds great, and I can see anyone who's primary concern/ethos is to help the golfer can design such a course. Am I right?

Thanks
Peter 

Eric Smith

« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2009, 09:57:38 PM »
Eric:

Just for the record, that approach shot doesn't have to be blind ... if you keep your tee shot out to the left you can see the green just fine.  But a large percentage of people, knowing the hole doglegs right, leak their tee shot to the right and leave themselves a blind pitch (and a tough angle as well).

Now you tell me!  After all these years and multiple visits...

So I'll take a look at trying for the left side next time.

Tom that hole is wonderful.  The whole course is.

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2009, 11:40:49 PM »
Jeff B - your post #3 was really good, thanks.

I was struck by a number of points (and the "more blends in their designs than a trendy coffee house" is a keeper!!).  I'll focus on one: you metion that there are different overriddng architectural philosophies, one of which is the "help the golfer" mode.   If an architect is in that mode, if that's his over-riding principle, do you think he can ever actually come up with a course like the one you describe designing on the plane, i.e. one that calls for an almost equal number of fades and draws etc, even before factoring in the wind? I guess what I'm saying is that the course you're designing sounds great, and I can see anyone who's primary concern/ethos is to help the golfer can design such a course. Am I right?

Thanks
Peter 

Peter,

If you have read any of my recent posts (you have digested them all, no?) you know that I am interested in, well, hmm, design interest AND that I don't think its black and white as some do - i.e., if you allow reasonable chance of making the putts, the game is too easy, the golfer too coddled.

As someone else alluded, when speaking of a controlled draw or fade, helping the golfer (not hurting them) means to place a tree at 190-210 off the tee to suggest a fade (or draw) but leaving enough room for those who hit it straight or another pattern and making the only punishment extra distance.  So, if helping the golfer means generally (not always) giving enough room for any type of shot, rather than punishing the non-desired shot, then I am okay with helping the golfer and don't think it detracts from the course at all.

I think you can set up an interesting back pin position, and still use a bunker behind to keep a ball from bounding down a hill where a two foot miss turns into a twenty yard miss.  It's still the same challenge on the shot no matter how severe the penalty, right?  So, if helping the golfer means generally (not always - I grant that overcoming "mental hazards" like carrying the 4th at Royal St. Georges is a challenge in itself) means keeping hazards generally benign, or mixed I don't mind helping the golfer that way.

I certainly have less objection than many here to fw's that are (generally) level enough to hold shots on them or even - gasp! - concave, and in fact, many of my greens have concave fronts to mildly assist a shot to hold the green (check out Mac at CP in the "front nine thread" - he does a lot of this too)

And lastly, if a golfer manages to get on the green within reasonable distance of the pin (say 15'), where stats say they will miss more than half the time anyway, even if putting on flat surfaces, giving them reasonable to read and make putts rather than throwing in a shovel full of sand to throw putts off an inch, then generally, (not always) I don't mind helping golfers that way.

As I read posts here, I often marvel at the underlying premise that somehow, golf is just too damn easy!  For whom?  Even the 144 Tour guys every week, only 72 break par and make the cut. Only a handful, if any, of those reach double digits under par each week.  But, we see them on TV and somehow think every design in America ought to be focused on those half dozen guys (who, except for Tiger and a few others, are actually a rotating band.....when we see them, they are playing the best they play all year)

Perhaps a simpler way to say it is that my belief is that the best courses are a notch or two below the most difficult courses in the world, and an unrelenting test has little design interest to me.  No hole sticks out as much as if just a few are really hard.  And risk/reward only works if there is, um, a reward!

The US Open mentality of punishing nearly every miss is a downer, as is the muni freeway mentality.  But there is a broad middle ground there where the vast majority of golfers get a little 'atta boy" from the architecture rather than just another kick in the pants. ::)  That makes the course more fun (even for the big boys) and  IMHO, a better course.

Anthony Gray

« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2009, 07:15:14 AM »

Perhaps a simpler way to say it is that my belief is that the best courses are a notch or two below the most difficult courses in the world, and an unrelenting test has little design interest to me.  No hole sticks out as much as if just a few are really hard.  And risk/reward only works if there is, um, a reward!

You have just been eliminated/revoked as a ranker.

Anthony

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2009, 08:02:45 AM »
Anthony,

Well, we all have our crosses in life to bear...... ;D

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2009, 08:11:15 AM »
Thanks, Jeff -- especially since my post had so many mistakes that I'm surprised you even understood the question. I appreciate the detailed response - understood now.

Peter

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2009, 08:25:44 AM »
Peter,

No problem and I didn't notice any mistakes......I like this kind of "philosophical thought" and its why I even bother to post here.  Every so often, I need to be sure I can enunciate my own design thoughts just to make sure even I believe them! ;)

BTW, maybe another way to say it (as I drink my morning, distinctly non fancy coffee) is that a great design is a blend of a lot of different thoughts and process.  I think you are right that you have to think challenge first and I am not suggesting that a design based on the freeway mentality or even helping the golfer is or can be great.

Its a matter of concieving challenges that are within the means of the golfers who will play the course and penalties they can overcome.  Some other obvious examples would be avoiding forced carries longer than the average golfer playing the proper tee can manage.  What fun is re-loading ten times and then dropping across the pond?  But, most design decisions are subtler than that - what if Augusta 13 was converted to a par 4 someday? Would that carry be right?

On an even more subtle level, lets imagine that green contours are such that to get to the Sunday pin, you need to clear a ridge.  Good idea and most of us do that to a degree.  But, what if that Sunday pin is only an effective 30' circle on a 200 yard incoming shot?  Is that big enough to justify the risk?  Who can hold that shot?  Or, do we "help" the golfer by making that a 50' target, raising it front to back and providing a little help in holding in the bold shot played just a bit too long?  I think the course that "helps the golfer" in playing the bold shot has a lot more design interest.

I can't speak for everyone on this board, but sometimes I get the impression that if left to design golf courses, most board members would inadvertently take the attitude that if the golfer went for that pin, the consequences ought to be strong.  (Most young associates feel that way in their first crack at design, anyway) My rule of thumb has always been to design for the consequences I would suffer with that shot, rather than worrying about the consequences that "the other guy" should suffer if HE misses......somehow, that makes for an entirely different take on the matter in question!

Ross Tuddenham

« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2009, 09:01:05 AM »
Jeff

I often marvel at the underlying premise that somehow, golf is just too damn easy!  For whom?

I agree, since when has golf been easy.

I like your point about features such as a bunker that stops a slightly over hit shot ending up 20 yards away. 

This is a help to the golfer but I don’t see this as removing any of the challenge faced by the player.  In a way it adds to the challenge as I think any course that makes a player overly fearful of it will loose some of its interest.  You mention a tough back pin, would you go for that if you were in a state of fear, no.  So the interest in planning how to reach that pin placement is lost if all the player will consider is a lay up so to avoid the terminal outcome of a miss.

I think it is about helping the player to build confidence and then challenging them to use this confidence to overcome some of the more challenging shots the architect has intended.

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2009, 09:20:14 AM »
Ross,

Thanks and congrats on joining me in "nonratersville"!

Ross Tuddenham

« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2009, 09:27:17 AM »
To be honest I was surprised and confused about the emphasis placed on rankings/ratings in these discussions.

There is not a top 100 paintings so why is a top 100 golf courses so important?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back