News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike Benham

Re: Sometimes nothing is better ...
« Reply #50 on: April 08, 2009, 06:02:35 PM »

Sadly, its sister 18-hole project is barely clinging to life due to zoning issues, and may not get built, which would be a real shame.  That one might have an all-Doak par-3 ... a tiny green at the confluence of two small streams.

Have a positive attitude about the zoning of the project.  ;)

At least you have identified the name of the course:

"The Confluence at Aetna Springs"
"... and I liked the guy ..."

Mike Hendren

« Reply #51 on: April 08, 2009, 06:38:23 PM »
Must we always over-analyze?  I just plain like the way it looks.

Bogey
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

MHiserman

« Reply #52 on: April 08, 2009, 07:27:46 PM »
The Spring at ĘTNA SPRINGS has really come on.

The sixth hole should be noted that it is a blind hole from many points in the fairway.  The trees give an understanding of the size of the green and direction.  By not having the tree left the hole would possibly need some aiming assistance similar to the tower behind the 3rd at NGLA.  At this time the aiming aids are less intrusive.

The downslope to the green, aids those who need a recovery shot or a low shot because of wind to bounce the ball at least to the front of the green.

There is a slope from R to L and F to B that one should consider when in the approach.  This is a wonderful hole where we often hit for it trying to split the trees with the line and they rarely come into play.  The right trees are well short and the left tree is back enough that the ball tends to be on the ground by the time it gets even to it.

The photo distorts the depth. 

It is not often that one would desire to be through the green against a boundary fence only steps from the back edge. The fence is hidden by nearly 8 feet of fescue that has been reduced.

Hey, it's a ground ball game out here.  I know who would be happy...Mr. Flintstone.

As Mr Doak has mentioned the other course designed in the same valley is in the permitting process.
it is at a critical point here in Napa Valley.  The other course routes around in a great setting on land that could not support and AG production.  That's why the land was even available.  Any land in Napa County that could support grape production is in vineyard or is owned and planned for vineyard. 

Supporters come forward.     
"Whether my schedule for the next day called for a tournament round or a trip to the practice tee, the prospect that there was going to be golf in it made me feel priviledged and extremely happy, and I couldn't wait for the sun to come up the next morning so that I could get on the course"-BH

Bill_McBride

« Reply #53 on: April 08, 2009, 07:37:39 PM »
Must we always over-analyze? 

Mike, you are suggesting the death of GCA.com.  "...over-analyze" indeed we must!

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #54 on: April 08, 2009, 09:31:44 PM »
JC, Will, Tom -
is it my imagination, or is Rennaissance Golf conscious of always trying to stay one step ahead of the competition? It seems like it's important to you to side-step (or at last not be trapped by) client/public expectations.  If so, is there a point in an architect's career/design firm's history when the advantages of having a certain and identifiable look/style get outweighed by the disadvantages? And if there is such a point, when does it come and what are those disadvantages?

Hoping the question(s) make sense.

Peter     

P.S. - I find myself thinking that in the not-too-distant future, you guys will move an enormous amount of earth in creating the primo example of naturalism
« Last Edit: April 08, 2009, 09:57:47 PM by Peter Pallotta »

John Keenan

« Reply #55 on: April 08, 2009, 10:35:02 PM »
WOW a new private course opening in this economy. Given the posts of  late as well as the articles on the financial condition of private clubs quite a shock to see a new one opening.

Curious if anyone knows how is it doing?

The things a man has heard and seen are threads of life, and if he pulls them carefully from the confused distaff of memory, any who will can weave them into whatever garments of belief please them best.

Jeff Spittel

« Reply #56 on: April 09, 2009, 09:34:06 AM »
I think this sort of design is especially attractive when you have a beautiful piece of land, as is the case here.
Fare and be well now, let your life proceed by its own design.

MHiserman

« Reply #57 on: April 09, 2009, 05:33:09 PM »
With the fairway and green feeding away the boundary fence behind will come into play when the missed ball runs through. 
There was an oil and sand putting surface to the right of the green and the area can still be recognized by the flat area before the apron feeds on to the putting surface.
With Aetna Springs dating back to 1890, cited by some history of Napa books, the design holds true to the heritage.
"Whether my schedule for the next day called for a tournament round or a trip to the practice tee, the prospect that there was going to be golf in it made me feel priviledged and extremely happy, and I couldn't wait for the sun to come up the next morning so that I could get on the course"-BH

Mike Benham

« Reply #58 on: April 09, 2009, 06:06:50 PM »
"... and I liked the guy ..."

John Kirk

« Reply #59 on: April 09, 2009, 06:15:16 PM »
Ah, the oak-dotted foothills of northern Central California...

Nice pictures, Mike.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #60 on: April 09, 2009, 09:14:09 PM »
Peter:

You are correct in believing that I don't want to be pigeonholed as having a certain design style.  It's part of my contrarian nature ... to the point that if you said we would never do something, I'd probably do it as soon as the right situation presented itself.

When we did Black Forest many years ago, we did really jazzy bunkers because it had been so long since anyone had done them.  Now I think the pendulum has swung way too far in that direction, so we're trying different things as far as bunkering.  It helped that Aetna Springs had a bunch of great trees that were in play on several holes, limiting the need for much bunkering.

I don't really care that much whether changing styles is commercially more or less appealing; the only influence on what we do is that if our clients specifically request a certain style of course, we'll try to accommodate those requests, although such requests may have a bearing on whether or not we sign up for the job.  We do hold a special place in our hearts for the clients who let us decide for ourselves what would be best.  I would get really bored if we had to do the same type of course over and over, as some architects do.

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #61 on: April 09, 2009, 10:04:17 PM »
Thanks, Tom - you understood my questions perfectly, even the ones I didn't come right out and ask. 

Silly as it sounds, I was thinking partly of the big-band era when I asked about an identifiable look - in that case, an identifiable sound that to a man all the top band leaders thought was critically important for commercial success - the 5-part reed sound of Glenn Miller's outfit, the blazing clarinet (and Fletcher Henderson arrangements) of the Goodman band etc etc.

Peter 

Kalen Braley

« Reply #62 on: April 10, 2009, 09:17:37 AM »
Tom,

So does that mean if you said you'll never do 80s style amoeba shaped bunkers, does that mean we should look forward to it with your next effort?  ;)

On a more serious note, do you have an update on the proposed 18 hole course at AS?

Thanks,

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back