News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

T DeJonge

Golf course rater credentials?
« on: April 04, 2009, 06:14:51 PM »
Being new to this site maybe this topic has already been talked about, but what qualifies golf course raters?  I would think that there would be a lot of bias towards home courses, possible owners or people in the industry that are employed by different courses.  What are the differences in becoming Golf Digest and Golf Week raters?  Why should I believe these ratings are accurate when I don't know if the people doing it are credible.

Mike Hendren

Re: Golf course rater credentials?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2009, 06:25:06 PM »
My friend Jim Cooper is the only Rhodes Scholar in Congress.  That begs a far more important question, though I understand you have to build a bunker in Brad Klein's backyard to get on the Golfweek squad.

Kindest regards,

Bogey
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Greg Tallman

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2009, 07:48:26 PM »
Not sure but Cabo will host a GOLFWEEK ratings summit in June and I'll be interested to see the makeup of the crowd. I woudl report in on my thoughts but I am not comfortable with my credentials in rating raters.   :)

Adam Clayman

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2009, 07:51:01 PM »
You're not suppose to believe them, you are suppose to moan, bitch, argue and discuss them.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Jason McNamara

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2009, 08:48:38 PM »
My friend Jim Cooper is the only Rhodes Scholar in Congress. 

In the House, yes, but there are three in the Senate.

apologies for continuing the thread-jack...

Ryan Farrow

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2009, 09:04:06 PM »
I would love the hear the answer to this one:

But I'm thinking  $$$$$$$

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2009, 09:11:47 PM »
Being new to this site maybe this topic has already been talked about, but what qualifies golf course raters?  I would think that there would be a lot of bias towards home courses, possible owners or people in the industry that are employed by different courses.  What are the differences in becoming Golf Digest and Golf Week raters?  Why should I believe these ratings are accurate when I don't know if the people doing it are credible.

Welcome to the site.  I can only speak for GD.  GD panelists are players that have aaout a five handicap or less.  As some age this goes up.  GD likes it when potential panelists have played a number of the top 100 courses.  The reason for this is that they have will have something excellent with which to compare other courses they rate.  They also don't want to attract too many who just want a "free ride."  I think it is safe to say that as panelists get more experience aand play more courses that they become discerning and their scores generally reflect this.

GD does not want architects or club owners on the panel.  Recently GD panelists have been more closely scrutinized.  GD has been holding mandatory "Summit" meetings to better educate the paneilsts on the GD system.  Ron Whitten has made it pretty clear that too many folks give too many high scores.  But it will take a while for all the panelists to get to onr of the Summits.  If a panelist does not attend one in the ifrst three years he/she is gone.
Hope this helps a bit.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Anthony Gray

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2009, 11:33:21 PM »

I would not qualify because I use the "fun" criteria and would be biased. I could not bring myself to overlook the intangibles such as scenery and atmoshere. Playability would be a focus for me.

So in the words of Mike Benham...........................OUT!

Anthony

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back