News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike Benham

Bring Back the Lash ...
« on: April 03, 2009, 07:48:28 PM »
Courtesy of Mr. Huntley where his catch phrase of "what a pity" is used with a much harsher tone for the troubled souls who did this ...

"... and I liked the guy ..."

J_ Crisham

Re: Bring Back the Lash ...
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2009, 07:56:03 PM »
Mike,  Is this the 16th green or the tee on the Dunes Course?  What in the world happened? Have they caught the offenders? How sad!
                                                         Jack

C. Squier

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2009, 08:03:35 PM »
Absolutely sickening....nothing else to say.

Joe Hancock

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2009, 08:10:52 PM »
Fewer things as disheartening as this to a greenkeeper.......it hurts to the core.

Joe
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Mark Arata

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2009, 08:13:07 PM »
The death penalty is too good for these bastards.........
New Orleans, proud to swim home...........

Bill_McBride

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2009, 09:17:43 PM »
Could someone please provide a narrative?

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2009, 09:32:37 PM »
Forget the lash, they've got a nice hole started   >:(
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Tim Bert

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2009, 09:38:27 PM »
Could someone please provide a narrative?

I'll second this.  While the photos appear troubling, it isn't quite clear to me what type of damage I'm looking at or how something like this happens.

Joe Perches

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2009, 09:40:09 PM »
Those pictures are so interesting.

They look so much like miniature dioramas
I had a hard time figuring out if they were real.

It is a pity about the damages though.

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2009, 09:51:41 PM »
I asked Mike to post these for me as I am a computer functionally illiterate.

The damage was done last night by some dreranged assholes who should be found and flogged.

I shall be playing there tomprrow and a temporary green has been set up for use. Bob Zoller, our incomparable Super, thinks he will have the the green in  play within the week.

By the way it is the 14th green.

Bob

Carl Johnson

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2009, 09:55:49 PM »
Eco-terrorists?  Disgruntled customer?  Juveniles out for some "fun"?  Alienated because he/she lost a job?  Details?  When and where?

David Heiser

« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2009, 10:58:24 AM »
Eco-terrorists?  Disgruntled customer?  Juveniles out for some "fun"?  Alienated because he/she lost a job?  Details?  When and where?

Definitely eco-terrorists, kids/juveniles etc would not make such a big effort to dig so deep.  Usually they just take a crap in the cup..  Are those tools left behind by the culprits?  Too much to hope for fingerprints?  Take away the huge hole in the middle and it looks like the skunk damage I had every now and then when I was in NY.  I'm sure the supe there will have things back to normal in no time.  Luckily they did not get access to the fertigation system.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2009, 11:05:02 AM »
Unfortunately, you''re going to see more of this sort of thing as class warfare escalates, fueled in part by the media.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2009, 11:07:58 AM »
Wow...unbelievable. 

I thought I had seen the worst when I played a course where someone did a giant donut on the green.

Looks like they used a pickaxe to make those kind of holes.  That is indeed a pity.

Jed Peters

« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2009, 12:46:12 PM »
Wow, so that's what that was? Tom mentioned something to me yesterday morning.

Crazy.

Craig Sweet

« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2009, 12:50:22 PM »
Pat..

No offense, but when I talk to my "class warfare" buddies, busting up a golf course green is not their priority for "bringing down the system" and "sticking it to the man"....

No, they have their eyes on banks, bankers, and the suits on Wall Street. ;D
LOCK HIM UP!!!

Rich Goodale

« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2009, 12:54:11 PM »
I say press-gang them into the Royal Navy.  Along with the lash they'll get rum and sodomy too!

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2009, 01:05:20 PM »
There is a small piece in our local paper.

See:\\www.montereyherald.com

Bob

David Heiser

« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2009, 01:10:23 PM »
Pat..

No offense, but when I talk to my "class warfare" buddies, busting up a golf course green is not their priority for "bringing down the system" and "sticking it to the man"....

And where do bankers and suits like to spend alot of their personal time?  Golf is an easy target, more of a scapegoat.

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2009, 01:12:00 PM »

If you imagine this view is from an airplane at 40,000 feet, it doesn't seem so bad except for that approaching tidal wave.

My condolences, Mr. Huntley.
"I always knew terrorists hated us for our freedom. Now they love us for our bondage." -- Stephen T. Colbert discusses the popularity of '50 Shades of Grey' at Gitmo

Adam Clayman

« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2009, 03:26:53 PM »
Class Warfare on the Peninsula.

That's a good one!

This stuff happens. Heck, it even happened two years ago here in Nebraska at Bayside.

Drunks or kids (or disgruntled former employee) clearly not in their right mind.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Jason McNamara

« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2009, 03:52:20 PM »
The Herald is part of that annoying cookie-dependent MNG system, so those who want to be able to get to the article directly can check out

http://www.montereyherald.com/local/ci_12071306?nclick_check=1&forced=true

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2009, 04:52:06 PM »
Pat..

Those are hard/hardened targets, golf courses aren't defended as well and thus make for better "targets of opportunity".

Adam Clayman,

That's not the work of drunks or kids.

That damage is the result of a purpose not a random act of violence.

Golf courses tend to make great resting places for drunks who want to "sleep it off" and great bedrooms for kids who can't afford a motel.

Why ruin a "hot spot" ?

I never known of many drunks that carry pick axes and shovels in their little brown bags.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2009, 05:00:20 PM by Patrick_Mucci »

Rick Shefchik

« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2009, 05:12:34 PM »
If I've got my scale right, that desecration had to have taken one or two people up to a couple of hours. That's not a prank -- that's clear purposeful intent.

I wouldn't rule out the disgruntled ex-employee, however.
"Golf is 20 percent mechanics and technique. The other 80 percent is philosophy, humor, tragedy, romance, melodrama, companionship, camaraderie, cussedness and conversation." - Grantland Rice

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2009, 05:14:41 PM »
   I like Goodale's suggestion. Hornblower or Aubrey would have set them straight. This is the worst desecration I have seen. Hopefully the did leave a calling card or partially eaten food, garbage or prints on the rakes for DNA.
   I wouldn't look at juvenile delinquents - combination of too much physical labor and too long to keep their attention (unless it mostly a sports team).
I would have considered member's kids, but the members' age would have to be below 45.
   Nor at disgruntled employees, unless they new exactly where to dig.
   More anarchistic than eco-terrorism.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back