News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Dave_Miller

Woodbridge Country Club - Connecticut
« on: April 02, 2009, 03:21:48 PM »
Woodbridge Country Club in Woodbridge, Ct. has agreed to be acquired by the Town of Woodbridge for approximately $6.9 Million. This decision was reached after the members considered several different proposals on the fate and future of the Club.

While I am not familiar with Woodbridge I am curious if other private clubs are facing this same type of decision.  The overriding factor in this instance was apparently to keep the open space and prevent development. It appears the town will operate the Club as a public facility.

See the link below for the article.

http://www.nhregister.com/articles/2009/03/30/news/a1_mon_wovotetoday.txt

Best
Dave

Jim_Kennedy

Re: Woodbridge Country Club - Connecticut
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2009, 08:23:02 PM »
While it might be sad news for the members, it's good news for Ct. golf in general. Woodbrige is a very nice place to play and an 'island' (like Yale) surrounded by an ocean of noise. 
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2009, 10:23:06 PM »
Woodbridge is just north of Yale and the Merritt Parkway. Many Yale professors and employees live up there. It has been struggling for years long before this turn down as it seems to be in the shadow of New Haven CC and Yale.

I will bet a sleeve of ProV's that this is not the final stage of the process:

"But the agreement must still be ratified by residents at a town meeting May 19, and approved by the boards of Selectmen and Finance, First Selectman Edward Sheehy said Sunday."

Dave_Miller

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2009, 02:25:31 PM »
Woodbridge is just north of Yale and the Merritt Parkway. Many Yale professors and employees live up there. It has been struggling for years long before this turn down as it seems to be in the shadow of New Haven CC and Yale.

I will bet a sleeve of ProV's that this is not the final stage of the process:

"But the agreement must still be ratified by residents at a town meeting May 19, and approved by the boards of Selectmen and Finance, First Selectman Edward Sheehy said Sunday."

Mike:
That may be true but my friends in Connecticut tell me many town residents are in favor of this. Gues we'll have to wait and see.
Besdt
Dave

Chris Pike

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2009, 06:02:59 PM »
Indian Hill CC in Newington, CT operates as a private club, but the land is owned by the town.  The club recently (a few years back) signed a 30-year land lease.  Residents have limited access to the course during certain days of the week.  I can't speak to the current financial condition of the club, but this arrangement seems to work for them.  I have to believe that this route was explored by Woodbridge, but wasn't deemed feasible.
"Golf is a game in which you yell Fore, shoot six and write down five."  -Paul Harvey

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back