News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jordan Wall

The Masters...
« on: April 03, 2009, 11:31:45 AM »
I can't wait for it this year.

With Tiger on his comeback, Phil already having won a couple of times, and Harrington and other starting to play well, it promises to be a big tournament.

Not to mention, I love glimpsing Augusta National, for an entire week.  Despite what some may think of the course, can anyone really deny it is one of the finest looking golf courses in the world?  I can't wait to one day see it in person.

There is no other tournament I look forward so much to watching.  In my eyes, that speaks volumes about Augusta, regardless of the changes to the course.

Is there really any more anticipated tournament to watch, anywhere??

In any case, I can't wait to see Augusta and am crossing my fingers for a great finish, that will certainly include a red shirted Tiger.  Should be awesome.

Cheers,
Jordan

Garland Bayley

Re: The Masters...
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2009, 11:33:53 AM »
Forget Lefty. He avoids Kapalua so the wind doesn't ruin his swing. Yesterday the wind did a number on him, and he has to be damaged goods now.

EDIT: The Masters is lowest on my watch list of the majors.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

JESII

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2009, 11:43:06 AM »
I doubt even the President of the PGA of America anticipates his tournament more than The Masters...

Mark Pritchett

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2009, 11:46:31 AM »
The #1 tournament on the #1 course!

Adam Russell

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2009, 11:50:05 AM »
Anybody else seen the weather report out of Augusta/Daniel Field? The dried-out Masters is finally happening this year. 25+ winds and cold  Mon./Tues., Sunny with zero or ten percent chance every other day except Fri. (40% and T-storms). I've never seen a weather forecast that good for this time of year down here. Good luck getting to double digits!
The only way that I could figure they could improve upon Coca-Cola, one of life's most delightful elixirs, which studies prove will heal the sick and occasionally raise the dead, is to put rum or bourbon in it.” -Lewis Grizzard

Adrian_Stiff

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2009, 12:02:23 PM »
The #1 tournament on the #1 course!

1. The Open 2. Masters 3 US Open 4 maybe the TPC @ Sawgrass rather than the PGA. I think I like Augusta much less than I used too, possibly influenced by this site.
A combination of whats good for golf and good for turf.
The Players Club, Cumberwell Park, The Kendleshire, Oake Manor, Dainton Park, Forest Hills, Erlestoke, St Cleres.
www.theplayersgolfclub.com

Tyler Kearns

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2009, 01:40:09 PM »
Anybody else seen the weather report out of Augusta/Daniel Field? The dried-out Masters is finally happening this year. 25+ winds and cold  Mon./Tues., Sunny with zero or ten percent chance every other day except Fri. (40% and T-storms). I've never seen a weather forecast that good for this time of year down here. Good luck getting to double digits!

Adam,

Hate to rain on your parade, but Shackelford's site has Stewart Cink saying, "in my opinion the course is so wet right now that it will be a miracle for it to be playing fast by Thursday".

Hope he's wrong.

TK

tlavin

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2009, 01:48:40 PM »
The Masters has the decided advantage of being the first major.  It gets all of the pent up emotions of the winter weary golfer and replaces them with the hope of spring, the hope for great tournaments and the promise of an improved personal golf game.  It helps everybody process the events of last year and prognosticate on the upcoming year.  If it were second or third in line, I doubt that it would be quite so revered.  If it were fourth, it would know what it's like to be the PGA, a bit of an afterthought.

Adam Russell

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2009, 02:19:42 PM »
Hate to rain on your parade... 

C'mon, Tyler - you're killing my vibe here!

Besides, are we really going to believe the guy from ALABAMA to be the authority on the weather?  ;)

If any course in the free world can overcome the past few days around here, its AN. I personally have no doubt with what's coming down the pike Augusta will yield the fast grass by Thursday...

The only way that I could figure they could improve upon Coca-Cola, one of life's most delightful elixirs, which studies prove will heal the sick and occasionally raise the dead, is to put rum or bourbon in it.” -Lewis Grizzard

Dave_Miller

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2009, 02:29:59 PM »
I can't wait for it this year.

I can't wait to one day see it in person.

Cheers,
Jordan

Jordan
It is truly an experience to be there in person.  The first thing you will notice is that TV does not do the architecture justice.  The elevation changes are really very spectacular.  You just don't get the true sense from TV.
Look forward to seeing you at the Kings Putter
Fairways and Greens
Dave

Mark Arata

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2009, 02:33:06 PM »
who from here is going? I will be attending for the first time this year, time to rehash all the do's and dont's for all us rookies.........
New Orleans, proud to swim home...........

TX Golf

« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2009, 02:37:01 PM »
Mark.... I am attending this year as well.

I haven't ever been either, so would be very open to some advice!!

I will be there from Monday-Sunday

Brian Noser

« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2009, 02:42:17 PM »
There are a bunch of threads on this already but here are a few..

Dont eat before you go...(cheap and good food there)
Go sit at 5 green and watch for a while, it is really cool to see the imagination they use to get it close to the pin placements there.. 
walk the WHOLE course.

There are more and I am sure some will searh and post the threads.

rjsimper

« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2009, 02:42:48 PM »
who from here is going? I will be attending for the first time this year, time to rehash all the do's and dont's for all us rookies.........

Going for the tourney or for practice rounds?

Bill Shamleffer

« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2009, 02:49:20 PM »
Jordan,

Thank you for sharing your enthusiasm.  I too get so excited about the Masters.  I do not care about it imperfections.  Sure I wish some things about the course were different, but none of that spoils the excitement.  What a great week, The Final Four, The Frozen Four, Opening Day, & the Masters.  All a sign that winter is over, spring is here and summer is soon to follow.  Time to stop our indoor games, open the windows and doors, start playing outside.

On top of that The Masters still does SO many things right that it is the perfect way to really get my love of golf flowing.

As a kid, and now as an adult, one of the great days of the year is when I receive the Golf Digest Master's preview issue.

The Open will always be my favorite major, but The Masters is like that great morning breakfast; and nothing can replace the joy of finally reaching Master Week.
“The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but that's the way to bet.”  Damon Runyon

Mark Arata

« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2009, 03:36:37 PM »
going for the 4 tourney days, but may not watch a single shot on thursday, just planning on walking the course in the AM, we are supposed to meet up with some GCA folk in the area and play golf in the afternoons thursday and friday......

rjsimper

« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2009, 03:46:45 PM »
Can't help you on the tourney days except to say that:

The BBQ sandwich is pretty darn good for the price

Believe it or not, I actually liked Pimento Cheese Sandwiches

The people that say that you should shop first thing in the AM are WRONG.  While there are shorter lines, you are stuck with either carrying your stuff around for a bit or taking it to your car and waiting in line to get back in.  This assumes you've arrived early enough to get a walkable parking space (also a priority)

You can't get a really good view of the 2nd shot into 2, and I really wanted to see this one since it looks so cool on TV

Best places to watch drivers are behind 11 and 15, IMO.

Mark Pritchett

« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2009, 03:58:59 PM »

The tournament has a check stand for bags-free of charge. 

Shop early, check it, and enjoy the day!

rjsimper

« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2009, 04:02:29 PM »

The tournament has a check stand for bags-free of charge. 

Shop early, check it, and enjoy the day!

Don't you mean shop early, check it, and wait in a HUUUUUUUUGE line at the end of the day to get your bag back?  :)  The line was enormous when I was there.

Mike Hendren

« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2009, 04:07:51 PM »
I like the back corner of the bleachers behind the 8th green.  Can see play around no. 1 green, approaches and play around the 8th green and tee shots on 9. 

Also behind the 4th tee which has a good view of play around the 3rd green.
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Mark Arata

« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2009, 04:11:33 PM »
I assume it might be best to do your shopping on day one and get it over with, or is that what everyone else is doing too?

We dont plan on staying around too long on Thursday and Friday at the moment, but that could change.

rjsimper

« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2009, 04:13:31 PM »
I assume it might be best to do your shopping on day one and get it over with, or is that what everyone else is doing too?

We dont plan on staying around too long on Thursday and Friday at the moment, but that could change.

You'll make more than one trip....you'll see someone wearing something you want.

Bob Harris

« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2009, 04:20:28 PM »
Mark.... I am attending this year as well.

I haven't ever been either, so would be very open to some advice!!

I will be there from Monday-Sunday

A few suggestions:

I agree about the shopping, shop first and pick up when you're leaving.  The stores get more crowded the later it gets.

walk the whole course, then pick a spot to sit.  The bleachers down by 15 and 16 are a great spot.  Most of the players will try the skip shot on 16.

If you want to see Tiger, find out where he is and go at least 4 or 5 holes ahead. 

Don't forget, cameras are okay on practice days, but no phones, PDAs or pagers.

I'll be there on Monday also.

Brian Noser

« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2009, 04:22:02 PM »
Ditto the lines, they were real long for getting items that were checked in and later for the shop. We went in early and bought and carried around, but just got a hat and a couple shirts.

The Masters is #1 on my list to watch... then the OPEN a close second.

Mark Pritchett

« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2009, 04:36:49 PM »
I have had minimal waits at the check stand for pick ups, but I guess I hit it at the right time.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back