News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Paul Richards

Re: GD BEST IN STATE
« Reply #75 on: April 03, 2009, 03:23:10 PM »
Whoever is responsible for the Illinois list, all's I can say is "Happy April Fool's Day"

Ha ha.

I get the joke.

Not.
"Something has to change, otherwise the never-ending arms race that benefits only a few manufacturers will continue to lead to longer courses, narrower fairways, smaller greens, more rough, more expensive rounds, and other mechanisms that will leave golf's future in doubt." -  TFOG

Rory Connaughton

« Reply #76 on: April 03, 2009, 03:30:31 PM »
Matt:  Completely agree re Hollywood.  One great golf course.
Leaving Rolling Green off the PA list really reflects poorly on the publication.

For the raters, is there any problem getting large numbers of GD raters to go to certain clubs?  I know that we rarely ever see a GD rater and my guess is that the same can be said for many Clubs in SE PA besides Merion and Aronimink

JNC Lyon

« Reply #77 on: April 03, 2009, 04:22:46 PM »
JNC:

I saw your post so you can see my entire NY comments below. Leatherstocking is a fine layout -- but the bar for NY golf is THAT high.
If it grabs a spot -- and for me that's a big "if" -- it would be #29 or #30 at best.

OK is a much finer layout than Leatherstocking. Unfortunately, too many people see the name of Rees Jones and then apply some tagline that doesn't fit in this specific case.

First rate property -- balanced with an interesting routing and a solid combo of different holes. Course has the good to hold a big time tourney and at the same time can handle the high handicap types (within reason).

Gets NO attention because few, if any, people see the Albany area as a golf location.

If you have not played it -- then your NY golf education is not complete until you do.

Jerry:

What amazes me about the Jersey list is how they decide to include a number of public courses when you also have key private ones not even considered.

NJ has dramatically improved with a range of courses that should have been listed.

The work Hanse / Bahto did with Essex County CC in West Orange is one clear cut example. The course benefited immensely and yet doesn't even earn a mention -- somewhere !

Ditto the key improvements carried out by RDC management at the Banks Course at Forsgate. Credit architect Stephen Key for the inclusion of the famed Biaritz at the 17th there. For those who love Banks his work in Monroe Township is worthy of serious acclaim -- even at the national level for the level of details found there.

I also think the same can be said for how well the Banks / Ross contributoins are made at Montclair GC -- also in West Orange.

Gents:

The NY list for analysis ...

Can't really argue with the first two ... although I am aware that WFW gets little love because of the severe nature of the place.

FI is a wonderful layout and worthy of honors -- just not #3 -- for me it's a borderline call for the top ten. Not a knock on the course itself but an elevation of a few others. NGLA deserves a higher position than what Digest provided.

I like the challenges presented by Oak Hill / East but I have never understood what the real elements of greatness are beyond the demands presented. I like some of the still maintained Ross contributions like the spectacular short uphill par-4 14th. The obsession with more and more length and still too many trees for my tastes pushes the layout down a bit.
I see Oak Hill / East as the NY version of Baltusrol / Lower in Jersey - but just a tad beyond the Springfield layout.

Can't possibly fathom the love for HN. I would also throw out of the picture places like Trump's in Briarcliff and all the layouts connected w Turning Stone. The ones at the gambling location are OK layouts but the bar for NY's top 30 is just way toooooo high for any of them.

Saratoga National is fine if the list were pure public courses. It doesn't belong in such elite company.

I've only played OH/W once and found it enjoyable but I can't see it being rated that high -- ditto CC of Rochester. Possibly those who have played it recently can further explain it's position but from my memory the likes of Sleepy Hollow, Fenway and Westchester / West would all be above where it's rated now. I personally see Westchester as one of the more underrated top tier clubs -- it's validation was proven countless times when it hosted the Classic over the years.

I have always been a fan of BB -- but not in the present form and extreme desires to have the course play way too narrow and lengthened to the excess. Borderline top ten call for me.

I have not played Friar's Head to date but clearly those who have cannot fathom on why it's so low. I have played Sebonack and I see it as one of NY's ten best layouts. Demanding no doubt -- but also loaded with an array of design features that work well given the input of two very determined people that Michael P engaged and kept focused throughout.

I'd like to see what QR has done recently as mentioned by Jeff Lewis.

Candidly, Deepdale gets plenty of mentions because of the "exclusive tag" -- I think there are other quality courses ahead of it -- places like Meadowbrook and Century come quickly to mind.

Crag Burn and CC of Buffalo are layouts that few downstate people ever really see -- let alone play. I'd keep them both -- a bit higher for sure.

WF / East is a wonderful layout but often gets lost in the sauce with the West. I'd have it -- but not top ten. Garden City would garner a top ten position with me -- likely right at the 10th spot.

No doubt about keeping places like Maidstone, Piping Rock, The Creek, Atlantic -- the issue would be which one finishes ahead of the others.

I'm glad to see The Bridge mentioned -- but I see it towards the end of the listing. Rees Jones should be saluted for his work at Olde Kinderhook which is badly overlooked.

I definitely need to play Olde Kinderhook--I know has been Top 100 Modern in Golfweek.  I guess I will always be skeptical because, well, it's Rees Jones.

I think you are underrating Leatherstocking greatly.  I definitely see it as better than Crag Burn or CC of Buffalo, both of which you mention as being underrated on the list.  Leatherstocking, while being very short in the modern era, defends itself well with the wild terrain.  The routing dictates that the three longest par fours play dramatically uphill, and uneven lies are the rule rather than exception.  The short holes have a tremendous amount of variety, and the dramatic 18th is an unbeatable finisher.  Since I have played no downstate golf (with the exception of Garden City), I can't judge to its potential position, but I would put it above the upstate courses I have played with the exception of the West at Oak Hill.

CC of Rochester has undergone a dramatic restoration in the last few years.  I am very familiar with the course and, while it has a couple bad RTJ holes, it is full of great Ross greens.  Gil Hanse's restoration also ensures that the course plays remarkably difficult for 6,500 yards from the back markers.

I will try to lay out the best aspects of the West at Oak Hill.  I have played this course more than a thousand times, and gets better for me each time.

As a whole, the course has a tremendous collection of Ross greens.  4 is a short par three, similar to the the 7th at Teugega (a hole that has been praised on here many times), but with more wild contours.  The required shot changes every day based on the hole location.  This is one of many dramatic greens which include a left-to-right two-tiered green at one, a thumbprint in the middle of the second green, a wild plateau green at the 3rd, horseshoe contours at 4 and 6, a double plateau green at 11, and a hog's back green at the 14th.

Each of the par threes present great variety: the wild green at the short fourth, the three-tiered downhiller at the 8th, the wild, mid range downhiller at 14, and the long 17th to a two-tiered green.

The long par fours are defended by great terrain and elusive elevated greensites.  13 and 15 are a pair of Herculean par fours that fall along the most dramatic terrain on the course.  The fairway and green on 13 both fall perfectly into saddles in the land, and the green itself is wild and imaginative.  15 presents a blind, reverse-camber tee shot that is maddeningly difficult.  The second shot is an uphill approach from a downhill lie to a beautiful punchbowl green.  Both of these holes are indicative of the challenges of West Course.  They present difficulties that rely on terrain and routing rather than excessive bunkering or trees.  This means that these holes, and the course as a whole, reach the ideal of being eminently playable for the high handicappers, ladies, and juniors that frequent the course, as well as providing a subtle but frustrating challenge for the scratch or low handicapper.

The course's weaknesses are both fundamental and minor: the course has too many trees and overhanging limbs.  While it is not as overtreed as the East, more trees need to be removed or trimmed; the course also is lacking in strategic fairway bunkers.  Only the left side bunkers at 7 and 18 present any real challenge, and even they are out of play for the longer hitter.  7 is marred by a recently added aiming bunker, which is an insipid addition to an otherwise fantastic long par four.

Overall, the West Course is gentler than the East, but it maintains a tight par 70 and is well-defended by highly original Ross greens.  It deserves to be ranked at the top of the Upstate list, wherever that might place it in the top 30 in New York.

"That's why Oscar can't see that!" - Philip E. "Timmy" Thomas

Mike Hendren

« Reply #78 on: April 03, 2009, 05:07:27 PM »
Where is Holston Hills in Tennessee?
Idle Hour in Kentucky?

Bogey
« Last Edit: April 03, 2009, 05:10:11 PM by Michael_Hendren »
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Mark Pritchett

« Reply #79 on: April 03, 2009, 05:22:51 PM »
Holston Hills is #8

Idle Hour is not listed.

Matt_Ward

« Reply #80 on: April 03, 2009, 05:24:23 PM »
JNC:

Yes, if you can play OK then do so.

I would not recommend the place that highly if I didn't believe it has the goods. Let me point out that others on this site have said no less. Those who go their with the anti Rees Jones chip on their shoulder are doing  

definitely need to play Olde Kinderhook--I know has been Top 100 Modern in Golfweek.  I guess I will always be skeptical because, well, it's Rees Jones layout are really being unfair to the designer and to the course itself.

I believe it has the goods to be a top ten consideration and I am full aware on how deep the NY private course listing is.

In regards to Leatherstocking and places like Crag Burn and CC of Buffalo I need to correct my original comment by even thinking they would make the grade of a top 30 because there are plenty other Westchester, Nassau and Suffolk County courses that can grab a few of the end spots for a top 30 position. That's not meant as a slap to the courses you mentioned but more of a clear recognition on just how good the metro NYC area private courses are.

In regards to CC of Rochester I have not played it in quite some time so I take note of your comments. A revisit is certainly in order.

Thanks for your detailed comments on Oak Hill / West. I liked the layout when played last -- in 1995 in the months prior to the Ryder Cup matches there so it's been a long time since I've been there. Unfortunately, the tree issue I encountered then -- is still an issue now from what you mentioned.

JNC, try to realize this -- there are clear exceptional golf oprtions in the northern and far western regions of NY State. However, since your only experience downstate is with GCGC -- keep in mind that the sheer depth is truly hard for many to comprehend. It's not empty talk by any means.

Brian Cenci

« Reply #81 on: April 03, 2009, 05:35:20 PM »
Home Sweet Home for me...MICHIGAN

MICHIGAN
° 1 Crystal Downs C.C.
Frankfort ★
° 2 Oakland Hills C.C.
(South)
Bloomfield Hills ★
° 3 Arcadia Bluffs G.C.
Arcadia ★ ◆
° 4 Tullymore G.C.
Stanwood ★ ◆
° 5 Indianwood G. & C.C.
(Old) Lake Orion
° 6 Forest Dunes G.C.
Roscommon ◆
° 7 Lost Dunes G.C.
Bridgman
° 8 True North G.C.
Harbor Springs
° 9 Point O’Woods G. & C.C.
Benton Harbor
° 10 Black Lake G.C.
Onaway ◆
° 11 Franklin Hills C.C.
Franklin
° 12 R&S Sharf G. Cse.
Rochester
° 13 The Kingsley Club
Kingsley
° 14 Shepherd’s Hollow
G.C. (2nd/3rd) Clarkston ◆
° 15 Oakland Hills C.C.
(North) Bloomfield Hills
° 16 Wuskowhan Players
Club West Olive
° 17 Eagle Eye G.C.
East Lansing ◆
° 18 The Wyndgate C.C.
Rochester Hills
° 19 TPC Michigan Dearborn
° 20 Bay Harbor G.C. (Links/
Quarry) Bay Harbor ◆
° 21 Lakewood Shores
Resort (Gailes) Oscoda ◆
° 22 Treetops Resort
(Robert Trent Jones)
Gaylord ◆
° 23 Marquette G.C.
(Greywalls)
Marquette ◆
° 24 Elk Ridge G.C. Atlanta ◆
° 25 Timberstone G.C.
Iron Mountain ◆

Where do I start?  They shouldn't even publish a best-in-state if it's going to look something like this.

Black Lake @ #10 ahead of Franklin Hills, Kingsley Club, Greywalls?  HAH!

No Dunes Club either.  There's really too much to even complain about and go into detail.  How you have Kingsley Club at #13 boggles the mind and Greywalls at #23?  I want what everyone else is smoking.

Anthony_Nysse

« Reply #82 on: April 03, 2009, 05:42:29 PM »
Home Sweet Home for me...MICHIGAN

MICHIGAN
° 1 Crystal Downs C.C.
Frankfort ★
° 2 Oakland Hills C.C.
(South)
Bloomfield Hills ★
° 3 Arcadia Bluffs G.C.
Arcadia ★ ◆
° 4 Tullymore G.C.
Stanwood ★ ◆
° 5 Indianwood G. & C.C.
(Old) Lake Orion
° 6 Forest Dunes G.C.
Roscommon ◆
° 7 Lost Dunes G.C.
Bridgman
° 8 True North G.C.
Harbor Springs
° 9 Point O’Woods G. & C.C.
Benton Harbor
° 10 Black Lake G.C.
Onaway ◆
° 11 Franklin Hills C.C.
Franklin
° 12 R&S Sharf G. Cse.
Rochester
° 13 The Kingsley Club
Kingsley
° 14 Shepherd’s Hollow
G.C. (2nd/3rd) Clarkston ◆
° 15 Oakland Hills C.C.
(North) Bloomfield Hills
° 16 Wuskowhan Players
Club West Olive
° 17 Eagle Eye G.C.
East Lansing ◆
° 18 The Wyndgate C.C.
Rochester Hills
° 19 TPC Michigan Dearborn
° 20 Bay Harbor G.C. (Links/
Quarry) Bay Harbor ◆
° 21 Lakewood Shores
Resort (Gailes) Oscoda ◆
° 22 Treetops Resort
(Robert Trent Jones)
Gaylord ◆
° 23 Marquette G.C.
(Greywalls)
Marquette ◆
° 24 Elk Ridge G.C. Atlanta ◆
° 25 Timberstone G.C.
Iron Mountain ◆

No Dunes Club either.  There's really too much to even complain about and go into detail.  How you have Kingsley Club at #13 boggles the mind and Greywalls at #23?  I want what everyone else is smoking.

Dunes Club NOT being rated (Because it's only 9 holes) is about the only thing GD got right....
Anthony J. Nysse
Director of Golf Courses & Grounds
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

JNC Lyon

« Reply #83 on: April 03, 2009, 05:47:21 PM »
JNC:

Yes, if you can play OK then do so.

I would not recommend the place that highly if I didn't believe it has the goods. Let me point out that others on this site have said no less. Those who go their with the anti Rees Jones chip on their shoulder are doing  

definitely need to play Olde Kinderhook--I know has been Top 100 Modern in Golfweek.  I guess I will always be skeptical because, well, it's Rees Jones layout are really being unfair to the designer and to the course itself.

I believe it has the goods to be a top ten consideration and I am full aware on how deep the NY private course listing is.

In regards to Leatherstocking and places like Crag Burn and CC of Buffalo I need to correct my original comment by even thinking they would make the grade of a top 30 because there are plenty other Westchester, Nassau and Suffolk County courses that can grab a few of the end spots for a top 30 position. That's not meant as a slap to the courses you mentioned but more of a clear recognition on just how good the metro NYC area private courses are.

In regards to CC of Rochester I have not played it in quite some time so I take note of your comments. A revisit is certainly in order.

Thanks for your detailed comments on Oak Hill / West. I liked the layout when played last -- in 1995 in the months prior to the Ryder Cup matches there so it's been a long time since I've been there. Unfortunately, the tree issue I encountered then -- is still an issue now from what you mentioned.

JNC, try to realize this -- there are clear exceptional golf oprtions in the northern and far western regions of NY State. However, since your only experience downstate is with GCGC -- keep in mind that the sheer depth is truly hard for many to comprehend. It's not empty talk by any means.

I am fully aware of the downstate depth, and since I have limited experience playing downstate I cannot comment in regards to Oak Hill West's position in the state as a whole.

However, I should make this clear: Oak Hill's tree situation has improved dramatically since 1995.  This is true for both courses but particularly the West.  The 8th Green, for example, had always been in a heavily wooded area.  In recent years, as green speeds increased, it became more and more difficult to grow grass on the greens.  Since 1995 (and the 1998 US Amateur as well), approximately 75% of the trees have been removed from around the green.  The grass is now as good as any green on the course, and the hole itself is much more attractive.  Small scale tree removal has taken place on nearly every hole.  Our members are very protective of our trees in general, so it will be difficult to make large-scale changes.  Nevertheless, progress is encouraging.

The course's condition has also improved dramatically since 1995 under the guidance of Paul Latshaw and our current superintendent, Jeff Corcoran.  We have also recently establish new back tees, some of which necessarily bolster the long par fours and a couple which add unneeded and frankly ridiculous length to short holes, particularly on our short par three fourth.  Although the results have been mixed IMO, I think the new tees improve a few holes, and it will certainly make the course attractive to the GD types (Note: the tees are new this year and would not have been considered for the current rating.

Therefore, it is impossible to judge the course based on playing it 14 years ago.  I would highly recommend seeing it again.

Tim Bert

« Reply #84 on: April 03, 2009, 07:36:04 PM »
Holston Hills is #8

Idle Hour is not listed.

Does anyone have a list of the 7 ahead of it?

Jonathan Cummings

« Reply #85 on: April 03, 2009, 07:48:56 PM »
TPC Potomac (f/k/a TPC Avenel) is ranked as the #14 course in Maryland but I'm pretty sure it hasn't even reopened (and thus, if that's right, no rater could have played it).

This is hysterical since not one member, much less the USGA (which is rating the course later in the month) nor any media type or even the staff of TPC Potomac has played the new ($33M redo) course (it's had tarps over the greens for the last 6 months).   Finchem hasn't even played it yet!!

When finally ranked (seriously ranked) Potomac is likely to be 2-4 in the state above Cave's Valley (a personal guess).

JC

Jonathan Cummings

« Reply #86 on: April 03, 2009, 07:49:47 PM »
I think the Florida list is quite good.  I like seeing Concession debut strongly.

JC

Matt_Ward

« Reply #87 on: April 03, 2009, 08:40:29 PM »
JNC:

Just as you say it's "impossible" for me to judge the course (e.g. OH/W) from 14 years ago -- I think it's no less difficult for you to discern the measure of downstate private club depth from having only played personally played one of the aforementioned layouts (e.g. GCGC).

I don't doubt a return visit is needed / re: Oak Hill / West on my part. Hats off to the club for instituting a number of needed upgrades and improvements.

However, try to keep this in mind -- courses that are deemed really good or even superior in the northern and western areas of NY State are going up against the best depth of private courses in the USA.

There are a number of private clubs in the metro NYC area that GD didn't rate among the top 30. If anything, I think the distribution of what they did rate worked out well for your "neck of the woods."

Given that you are a member of Oak Hill no doubt you feel the pride in belonging to such a place and no doubt such a close association with the club has to influence your overall thoughts on where both clubs should stand within NY golf.

I have never understood the ratings regard for Oak Hill / East -- I commend the membership for their desire to host big time events. The course is indeed a strong one -- made so with added length and there are still the pesky trees to avoid.

I see Oak Hill / East as the equivalent of Baltusrol Lower. A demanding parksland course but how memorable is it? Where is the design elements that pronounce its stature? Be curious to know if Oak Hill members feel the same way that Baltusrol members do when comparing their two (2) courses -- in the Jersey case many opt for their Upper layout as the preferred course option. Do you feel likewise at OH and do other members you know concur? And, if they do feel comparably to what Baltusol members do -- what does that say about the qualities of the big brother layout?

Mark Pritchett

« Reply #88 on: April 03, 2009, 08:42:47 PM »
Tim,

TN

1.  Honors Course

2.  Spring Creek Ranch

3.  GC of TN

4.  Belle Meade

5.  Richland CC

6.  Chattanooga G and CC

7.  Memphis CC

8.  HH

9.  Black Creek

10.  Colonial CC

JNC Lyon

« Reply #89 on: April 03, 2009, 09:40:21 PM »
JNC:

Just as you say it's "impossible" for me to judge the course (e.g. OH/W) from 14 years ago -- I think it's no less difficult for you to discern the measure of downstate private club depth from having only played personally played one of the aforementioned layouts (e.g. GCGC).

I don't doubt a return visit is needed / re: Oak Hill / West on my part. Hats off to the club for instituting a number of needed upgrades and improvements.

However, try to keep this in mind -- courses that are deemed really good or even superior in the northern and western areas of NY State are going up against the best depth of private courses in the USA.

There are a number of private clubs in the metro NYC area that GD didn't rate among the top 30. If anything, I think the distribution of what they did rate worked out well for your "neck of the woods."

Given that you are a member of Oak Hill no doubt you feel the pride in belonging to such a place and no doubt such a close association with the club has to influence your overall thoughts on where both clubs should stand within NY golf.

I have never understood the ratings regard for Oak Hill / East -- I commend the membership for their desire to host big time events. The course is indeed a strong one -- made so with added length and there are still the pesky trees to avoid.

I see Oak Hill / East as the equivalent of Baltusrol Lower. A demanding parksland course but how memorable is it? Where is the design elements that pronounce its stature? Be curious to know if Oak Hill members feel the same way that Baltusrol members do when comparing their two (2) courses -- in the Jersey case many opt for their Upper layout as the preferred course option. Do you feel likewise at OH and do other members you know concur? And, if they do feel comparably to what Baltusol members do -- what does that say about the qualities of the big brother layout?

I think the vast majority of our members believe the East is a better golf course, due in large part to its championship-caliber test of golf and tournament prestige.  I think many members would recognize that the West is more fun to play on a day-to-day basis, but the general consensus is that the East is better.  My current opinion that the West is better than East represents a very, very small minority at the club.

Personally, I think the East is an excellent golf course.  The 1st is a fine starter as you mention.  3 is a fantastic long par three that is simple yet impossible.  The stretch of 7 through 10 is a set of first rate long par fours.  13 is a sublime long par five.  14 is a great short four, and 17 is a tremendous long par four for its place in the round.  The flaws, however, are all too present.  The Fazio holes, particularly the par threes at 6 and 15, are garbage (most members would disagree).  They disrupt the original routing and flow of the round.  The trees are also a major nuisance, especially since they are only getting bigger and encroaching more every year.  They not only impede on lines of play, but they mask the beautiful features of the property that Ross's layout was designed to accentuate.

Overall, the East Course's strong holes hold out over the weak ones.  I have run through the "East vs. West" debate many, many times, invariably with a different conclusion every time.  I'm so familiar and close to both courses.  For me, it's like trying to decide if you like your mother or father more.  At this point, I would pick the West Course over the East.  The West's routing is brilliant, creating the perfect walking course.  The West's challenge bring more subtlety and emphasis on the short game that I believe allows all types of players to thrive.  Ask me in a year, and my opinion might change!

Tim Bert

« Reply #90 on: April 03, 2009, 09:43:27 PM »
Tim,

TN

1.  Honors Course

2.  Spring Creek Ranch

3.  GC of TN

4.  Belle Meade

5.  Richland CC

6.  Chattanooga G and CC

7.  Memphis CC

8.  HH

9.  Black Creek

10.  Colonial CC

Nice to know I've played exactly one of the ten best courses in my home state where I've spent the majority of my golfing years (and split between two different parts of the state.)

I guess I just think the golf in this state is lacking because I'm not playing in the right places!  Of course that isn't exactly a readily accessible list for most Tennesseans.

Mike Hendren

« Reply #91 on: April 04, 2009, 01:17:14 PM »
Holston Hills is #8

Idle Hour is not listed.

Dubious.  I need to play more in Kentucky but there is a good argument that each course should be #2 in state. 

Bogey
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Matt_Ward

« Reply #92 on: April 04, 2009, 01:42:32 PM »
JNC:

You touched upon a fundamental weakness with OH/E -- the overall encroachment with the trees. The place symbolizes for me the overkill that such lumber has caused upon the native architecture that Ross provided.

No doubt the TF & GF involvement also changed matters greatly.

I don't see how the course is rated as high in NY and in the USA. The lone conclusion has to be the hosting of major events.

I hear what you say cocerning your love for the West -- many members say the same thing about the Upper at Baltusrol.

To reiterate what I said before -- the depth of lower state private clubs in and around the NYC area is truly mindboggling. Don't doubt that the northern and western areas of the state have a few winners to tout but I can only see 2-3 at best cracking through.

Randy Van Sickle

« Reply #93 on: April 04, 2009, 01:52:07 PM »
Anyone have Massachusetts?

Thanks
Can't get back to RDGC soon enough

Carl Nichols

« Reply #94 on: April 04, 2009, 02:19:28 PM »
Except for the placement of Five Farms at #3 -- which I can't evaluate because I haven't had the pleasure of playing there -- the top 8 in Maryland seem fairly correct to me, and any quibbles would concern the order of the top 8, not which courses are in it.  (E.g., I'd move Four Streams up a spot or two, but that's just a tweak.)  Disclosure:  I belong to the course at #8, but objectively think it belongs there. 

Rick Shefchik

« Reply #95 on: April 04, 2009, 03:44:48 PM »
Here's clear proof that this list is capricious, specious and possibly facetious (I'm feeling like Jackie Chiles here):

Oak Ridge did not make the top 20 in Minnesota. This absolute gem of a classic-era course was nudged off the list by such charmless modern slogs as Dacotah Ridge, Deacon's Lodge, The Legends Club in Lakeville, The TPC in Blaine,  StoneRidge and Willingers.

None of those are bad courses. None of them have one tenth of the strategy, ambiance and curb appeal of Oak Ridge, which is a solid Top Five in my book.

I haven't played a few of the other Top 20s in Minnesota, but several -- Spring Hill, Windsong Farms and Somerby -- are also modern designs that are not known for their subtlety or charm.

Build 'em big, build 'em long, build 'em for college tournaments. Fun? Strategy? Shotmaking? Who cares. That's what the Golf Digest list in Minnesota is saying.
"Golf is 20 percent mechanics and technique. The other 80 percent is philosophy, humor, tragedy, romance, melodrama, companionship, camaraderie, cussedness and conversation." - Grantland Rice

Randy Van Sickle

« Reply #96 on: April 04, 2009, 04:18:30 PM »
Nevermind on the MA request.  Here it is:

1. The Country Club
2. Kittansett
3. Old Sandwich
4. Boston GC
5. Eastward Ho!
6. Essex
7. Worcester
8. Myopia Hunt
9. Salem
10. International (Oaks)
11. TPC Boston
12. The Orchards
13. Oyster Harbors
14. Charles River
15. Nantucket GC
16. Brae Brun
17. Turner Hill
18. The Vineyard
19. Indian Pond
20. Granite Links

And from the prior rankings:

1. The Country Club
2. Kittansett
3. Old Sandwich
4. Boston GC
5. Charles River
6. Myopia Hunt
7. Nantucket
8. Salem
9. The Orchards
10. Longmeadow
11. Vineyard
12. Turner Hill
13. Cape Cod National
14. International (Oaks)
15. Eastward Ho!
16. Essex
17. Hyannisport
18. The Ranch
19. Sankaty Head
20. Brae Burn
Can't get back to RDGC soon enough

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #97 on: April 04, 2009, 04:31:20 PM »
For Ore-gone
1. Pacific Dunes
2. Bandon Dunes
3. Eugene
4. Bandon Trails
5. The Club at Pronghorn (Nicklaus)
6. The Club at Pronghorn (Fazio)
7. Pumpkin Ridge (Witch Hollow)
8. Crosswater
9. Pumpkin Ridge (Ghost Creek)
10. The Reserve Vineyards (South)
11. Columbia Edgewater
12. Portland GC
13. Running Y Ranch
14. Eagle Point GC
15. Waverley

Personally I bump Pronghorn (Nicklaus) down a couple of notches and
Reserve Vineyards (South) down about three. If I was going to ditch one it would be Running Y and replace it with Langdon Farms or Juniper.
   And a "best new" course didn't make the finicky fifteen). Heh, heh, heh.

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #98 on: April 04, 2009, 04:45:29 PM »
For Washington (not D.C.)
1. Sahalee (S/N)
2. Tumble Creek
3. Aldarra
4. Royal Oaks
5. Chambers Bay
6. TPC Snoqualmie Ridge
7. Canterwood
8. Gold Mountain (Olympic)
9. Eaglemont
10. Tacoma

Oh, the love.

Jon Heise

« Reply #99 on: April 04, 2009, 04:58:28 PM »

Where do I start?  They shouldn't even publish a best-in-state if it's going to look something like this.

Black Lake @ #10 ahead of Franklin Hills, Kingsley Club, Greywalls?  HAH!

Hey, at least they got Shepherd's Hollow way way up there.  Schweeeeet!   

::)
I still like Greywalls better.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back