News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Raphael_Larson

Re: Opening day Old Macdonald
« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2009, 12:16:49 PM »
After some well placed requests to officials at the resort, Eric Olsen and I were fortunate to be allowed to play Old Mac on Thursday, March 19th (not sure why my camera date in the pictures below is a day off).  Initially, we were told that we would not be allowed to play because the preview opening was April 1, but after explaining that we both have made over a dozen trips from DC to Bandon over the last 9 years we were granted access.  We were told that there would not be holes cut but that we could putt to flags; however, when we arrived they informed us that they had decided to cut holes for us and that we would be the first group to actually hole out on the course. 

As always, the staff at the resort was first class.  After a cross country flight that morning, management personally met us upon arrival to welcome us, thank us for our repeated devotion to the resort, and to ensure that everything was set for our afternoon preview round.   

As for the course, all I can say is that it definitely lives up to the hype.  The scale of everything is enormous.  Every hole appeared from the tee box to be significantly longer than the scorecard yardage.  As discussed many times on here, the greens are enormous.  I don't know how they are going to keep play moving given the number of 3, 4, and 5 putts that will occur. 

Below are a few photos I snapped during the round.  I apologize for amateur-level quality...

Tee shot on #6 (hole 1 of the preview loop)

#7 from fairway (preview hole 2)

Another shot from #7 fairway

Looking back at #7 green from #8 tee

View of Pacific #13 from back of #8 tee

Par 3 #8 from the tee

#9 from left side of fairway

#10 from tee

Road hole from tee (I can't remember which number hole this will be and don't have a copy of the scorecard in front of me right now)

Yours truly hitting the obligatory shot out of the road hole bunker ... I hit it to within 18 inches!

#13 from the tee

Eric and me from #13 green looking back towards the tee at the ocean

View from #3 tee (the forward tees are the only ones currently in play) down to where the opening and finishing holes will be.

#3 from behind the green looking back up the fairway.

#4 tee  We ran into Jim Urbina walking the course on #4.

#4 green from back tee box on #5.  The people walking up the fairway are caddies learning the course.

#5 ... what a green!

Jim Nugent

« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2009, 01:09:33 PM »
Raphael, great pictures.  Did you play or see the Biarritz?  IIRC, Tom said before its green will have some unique features to it. 

George Pazin

« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2009, 01:33:47 PM »
Many thanks for the pix.

Someday I hope to make an opening day for something. I'm still po'd at myself that I missed Barnbougle's.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Raphael_Larson

« Reply #28 on: April 03, 2009, 01:37:03 PM »
Jim,  Hole #8 is the biarritz.  I've never played a classic biarritz, so I can't opine as to the uniqeness of the hole, but when we played it the hole was back left which was partially blind.    The trough in the green is not as linear as the biarritz at Yale and elsewhere appear to be.  I would describe the green as a bigger and longer version of #5 on Bandon Trails. 

As I recall, both Eric and I pulled our tee shots left only to find that both shots kicked right off the dune left of the green and released towards the hole.  It is a very fun hole. 

In fact, "fun" is the word the comes to mind most as I think of the course.  The course doesn't beat you up (although with the openness of the holes it doesn't let you hide from the elements either). 

Rob Rigg

« Reply #29 on: April 03, 2009, 02:14:31 PM »
Room reserved, tee times booked, cannot wait for this golf trip, it's going to be awesome.

OM on opening day, what up bizzles!

ed_getka

« Reply #30 on: April 10, 2009, 09:17:16 AM »
Raphael,
   Thanks for sharing the pix.
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Lloyd_Cole

« Reply #31 on: April 10, 2009, 11:06:39 AM »
As discussed many times on here, the greens are enormous.  I don't know how they are going to keep play moving given the number of 3, 4, and 5 putts that will occur. 

I think, from the photos, it looks very exciting and I will hopefully have some Portland/Seattle shows later this year... Excuse me if this has been discussed before, but based on the above quote and the opinion of a pro friend of mine who was invited to the 10 hole partial course preview thing a while back - he thought the greens were so tough as to be 'a joke' - is pace of play a serious worry? We know we don't travel thousands of miles to pick our ball up after 3 putts...

Kalen Braley

« Reply #32 on: April 10, 2009, 11:28:55 AM »
Lloyd,

With all due respect a pro bitching about greens being too large and "a joke" wouldn't exactly be anything new in the revealation department.

Lloyd_Cole

« Reply #33 on: April 10, 2009, 11:37:10 AM »
Sorry Kalen, I should have written more, but I'm fairly sure my pal wouldn't want to be identified, especially as he was grateful for the invite and had a great time. For pro - read Club Pro well versed in MacRaynor designs. I listen to this guy.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #34 on: April 10, 2009, 11:42:03 AM »
Sorry Kalen, I should have written more, but I'm fairly sure my pal wouldn't want to be identified, especially as he was grateful for the invite and had a great time. For pro - read Club Pro well versed in MacRaynor designs. I listen to this guy.

Lloyd,

Not a problem, no need to identify.  I do find his background mildy interesting in context of his comments.  Other than the greens being too large what other input did he have?

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #35 on: April 10, 2009, 11:45:25 AM »
Looking at photos only.... I can understand Lloyd's friend's concern.  Not only do those greens look massive, they look very heavily contoured.  Get them too quick and it could be an exercise in lengthy frustration for sure - or so it seems.

My assumption is, however, that they will never be allowed to get all that quick, and thus will be incredible fun; either that, or the pictures make them look more severe and potentially painful than they really are.

Can someone in the know confirm this?

Lloyd_Cole

« Reply #36 on: April 10, 2009, 11:54:05 AM »

Lloyd,

Not a problem, no need to identify.  I do find his background mildy interesting in context of his comments.  Other than the greens being too large what other input did he have?

K
He thought the micro contouring was so extreme that a double breaker would be an easy putt out there - many putts would be triple or quadruple breakers. Just too difficult was his take on it. His assumption was that it was the Doak factor that pushed things 'over the top' as he compared the OM greens to Sebonack which he thought were also too tough because of the many internal undulations. We all know he's not alone thinking this. I have no comment having never played either. We were discussing this while we played Mountain Lake, FL - those Raynor/Silva greens are no pushover. We all agreed that they were a great challenge and great fun. That's about all I can add.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #37 on: April 10, 2009, 11:59:50 AM »
Lloyd,

Thanks for the input.

I can certainly understand how they would be considered tough, but to me I guess it just amounts to more fun.  I should note my bias in that I consider myself a better than average putter and love the mental challenge of figuring out greens and how to get the ball to the hole...its almost like a puzzle of sorts. In my book most greens err on the bland side, so the spicier the better. When I do get the chance to play the course, i'm sure I'll have plenty of long ones because half the time I have no clue where my iron shots are going.  ;D

I guess the key is as Tom noted in keeping them at a good length especially as the wind howls there on a regular basis.

Lloyd_Cole

« Reply #38 on: April 10, 2009, 12:11:33 PM »
Lloyd,

Thanks for the input.

I can certainly understand how they would be considered tough, but to me I guess it just amounts to more fun.  I should note my bias in that I consider myself a better than average putter and love the mental challenge of figuring out greens and how to get the ball to the hole...its almost like a puzzle of sorts. In my book most greens err on the bland side, so the spicier the better. When I do get the chance to play the course, i'm sure I'll have plenty of long ones because half the time I have no clue where my iron shots are going.  ;D

I guess the key is as Tom noted in keeping them at a good length especially as the wind howls there on a regular basis.

K

I used to think the same way, and I wish I still did. Putting is hard for me, these days. But that in no way influences my evaluation of a course - and I still think like a good putter, I just execute rather differently. I do still love the challenge, though. What I think is significant and isn't distinguished enough here is the difference between a private club experience, and a public one. I recall playing the Broadmoor in Colorado Springs one time and 3 and 4 putting almost all of the holes. It was not fun. To have challenging greens at home and have the time to learn them, digest them and ultimately know how best to approach them is a wonderful thing. To try and figure all that out over a couple of days is unrealistic. I think as I get older I do understand why certain 'bland' resort courses or RTJ what you see is what you get types might actually make for a better holiday than Bandon... I had a great time at Sotogrande. Of course, at Bandon there are caddies which SHOULD be a big help with this sort of thing. The trouble is - it isn't always. They aren't all good by any means.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #39 on: April 10, 2009, 12:18:09 PM »
That is one heck of an interesting thought, Lloyd.. and it makes great sense...

On the one hand I am kinda like Kalen -not that I am a great putter - but bring it on in terms of weirdness and complexity.  On the other, I too have experienced instances of what seemed to be infinite putting, and you are so right - it gets old quickly.

So this is a very tough call.  Bandon is and seemingly ever shall be a resort, with FAR more infrequent visitors than regular players.  Thus it makes sense that if the greens are too "much" as your friend describes, there will be many unhappy customers.

ON THE OTHER HAND... something different and unique is to be treasured, be it resort or private club or whatever. 

The greens at next door neighbor Pacific Dunes are complex, but not scarily so and the effect is nothing but fun there.  Same goes for the slightly less complex greens on Bandon Dunes and Bandon Trails.  It all works wonderfully on those three.

Thus my feeling remains that I trust in Mr. Keiser et al to get this right.  Your friend asks a good question - as do you - but I just can't imagine a course intended to be this GREAT - and that sure is the intent - will be anything but great fun for one and all.  And keeping the speeds reasonable would seem to be the simplest way to accomplish this.

TH
« Last Edit: April 10, 2009, 12:19:44 PM by Tom Huckaby »

Lloyd_Cole

« Reply #40 on: April 10, 2009, 12:25:43 PM »
Tom
I certainly think what Mr K has done at Bandon is fantastic and I also think that it works because it attracts a certain type of golfer. You know you can't ride a cart - that rules out a certain demographic right there. You know it is 'links style' and you know it will be a challenge. I certainly wouldn't COMPLAIN if I had a hard time on OM greens - I'm really looking forward to seeing the course asap. I do think that there is a demographic that would though... I was more concerned, on my initial post, with the pace of play issue. I don't want to play OM if it's 6 hours. I don't care how good it is. I've been over here 20 years and I'm quite comfortable playing the game much more slowly than I grew up playing it, but 5 hours or so is the max...

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #41 on: April 10, 2009, 12:27:53 PM »
Tom
I certainly think what Mr K has done at Bandon is fantastic and I also think that it works because it attracts a certain type of golfer. You know you can't ride a cart - that rules out a certain demographic right there. You know it is 'links style' and you know it will be a challenge. I certainly wouldn't COMPLAIN if I had a hard time on OM greens - I'm really looking forward to seeing the course asap. I do think that there is a demographic that would though... I was more concerned, on my initial post, with the pace of play issue. I don't want to play OM if it's 6 hours. I don't care how good it is. I've been over here 20 years and I'm quite comfortable playing the game much more slowly than I grew up playing it, but 5 hours or so is the max...

That too is totally understood.

My feeling just remains, however, that Mr. K (as well as Doak and his OM posse) must be VERY aware of this potential.. and will do whatever is needed such that horrific slow play does NOT occur.

But we shall see.  Your friend does seem to give a very valid concern.

TH

Voytek Wilczak

« Reply #42 on: April 10, 2009, 12:37:02 PM »
  Initially, we were told that we would not be allowed to play because the preview opening was April 1, but after explaining that we both have made over a dozen trips from DC to Bandon over the last 9 years we were granted access.  We were told that there would not be holes cut but that we could putt to flags; however, when we arrived they informed us that they had decided to cut holes for us and that we would be the first group to actually hole out on the course. 

That is pure class on the part of the resort. And the course looks breathtaking; we should feel privileged that they still build courses like that in the US of A (thanks TD).

I loved the huge double greens at TOC; they are so much more fun than small greens.

So far I have resisted going to Bandon (Ireland and Scotland is actually an easier - and perhaps an even cheaper - trip), but Old Mac may actually get my ass over to Bandon.

« Last Edit: April 10, 2009, 12:38:45 PM by Voytek Wilczak »

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #43 on: April 10, 2009, 12:37:38 PM »
The green contours aren't over the top, there may be seagoers, you may be able to be creative with the contours, and you can putt off and across greens. The green surrind contours may prove vexing for someone trying to play a running approach.
Have supreme confidence that the resort poohbahs will have the green speeds appropriate.

For those of you coming to KP next weekend I have a CD with 100+ photos of my walkabouts on OM. It is transcendentally soothing - om, om, om, om, om.

Eric Olsen

« Reply #44 on: April 10, 2009, 12:59:58 PM »
I loved the OM greens that we played!  I found the size and contours to be exhilarating.  I do think that rounds at OM will be slower than the other courses, given the size and scale.  I think that OM may have the potential to play the firmest and fastest, but I suspect they will keep the greens a bit slower given the scale and the fact that there are few, if any, respites from the elements.  Pretty wide open there!

I can't wait for the full 18, as I suspect that it will be the best of the bunch. 

Luv the logo too  :)

PThomas

« Reply #45 on: April 10, 2009, 01:15:01 PM »
what is the logo Eric?
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Ross Waldorf

« Reply #46 on: April 10, 2009, 01:56:06 PM »
I love discussions about Bandon so I thought I'd chime in. I seem to remember (maybe from Dream Golf?) that the greens at Pacific Dunes weren't quite as contoured as Tom Doak might have chosen on his own because Mike Keiser preferred a bit less undulation. So I find it hard to believe that he would sign off on something that he felt would be too over the top for the general Bandon visitor. Mr. Keiser seems to have excellent instincts, that's for sure.

Having said that, it seems like TOC was a huge model for what's going on at Old Macdonald (as opposed to doing something more strictly modeled just on NGLA). That, by the way, comes from reading and looking at pix, having never played any of the three courses mentioned. The greens on TOC are huge and wild, right? So it'll be interesting to see exactly how everything comes out in terms of balancing all these factors.

For myself, I've made reservations to see the place in 2010 after all 18 are open, and from the pictures I am just going berserk with anticipation. Looks like it'll be an amazing golf course, and certainly not like what we usually see in the good old US of A. Can't wait to see it.

Mike Wagner

« Reply #47 on: April 10, 2009, 02:06:32 PM »
I would rather see the average golfer with a putter than a 60 degree wedge (on any hole out there)!!

Richard Choi

« Reply #48 on: April 10, 2009, 02:11:28 PM »
Got the 3rd tee time of the day!

Looking forward to meeting other GCA'ers there.

Raphael_Larson

« Reply #49 on: April 10, 2009, 02:12:41 PM »
I think the extra time spent putting will be counter-balanced by losing fewer balls.  Given the openness of the site, it will take work to lose many balls on OM. 

The sheer size, not the contours, of the greens is what really struck me.  They are massive!  Of course, depending on where they decide to cut holes, the contours could be too much ... but I seriously doubt the folks at Bandon will not consider fairness/pace of play when determining pin positions. 

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back