News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jim_Kennedy

Wilmington Municipal GC, NC
« on: April 01, 2009, 05:43:03 PM »
I hadn't been to WMGC since they did the work to it and I can only say that it was great fun to actually find bunkers in fairways as well as in other locations that force you to think first, hit second.
There has been a lot written about the course so I'm just going to add that for all the parallel holes (I think there's 11 or 12) you don't really feel like you're doing a lot of back and forth, until holes 12 through 15. A lot of this is due to the way it was routed, with 1,7,8 & 9 creating the perimeter of  a 'rectangle' and 2, 3, 4, 5 & 6 creating the perimeter of a 'square'. These two groupings of holes are bisected by a road and the remaining holes fit inside the 'rectangle' and the 'square'.

It's $22.00, and that's a great deal, but wait a few months to play it as the greens were in terrible shape. I played with a couple of guys who work there and they said in trying to eradicate poa from overseeding much of the bermuda was killed. I was putting on dirt on a couple of them and the best were infested with splotchy, silver dollar sized patches of poa. Really too bad.

"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Brock Peyer

Re: Wilmington Municipal GC, NC
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2009, 08:31:01 PM »
Jim, I went to UNCW and played the "Muni" occasionally during the year and played in the Wilmington City AM each year.  I loved the course but haven't played it since the restoration.  My Dad lives about 45 minutes away and he has recently fallen in love with the "Muni" and gets up there about once a month. 

John Moore II

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2009, 09:14:27 PM »
I never played it before the restoration, but I enjoyed the course the few times I played there. I would greatly enjoy going back as well, just I'm not driving 2 hours to play there with the better choices I have much closer.

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2009, 09:43:51 PM »
JKM,
There's no beach/ocean in SP.  ;D

Doug Wright

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2009, 02:48:19 PM »
Jim,

I played Wilmington Muny shortly after it reopened from the restoration and it was terrific. There's a lot of great Ross features there thanks to the Ron Prichard redo. I love the long par 4 followed by the Volcano par 3.

I'm headed back to Wilimnington late May--do you think it'll be in decent shape by then?
Twitter: @Deneuchre

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2009, 08:17:10 PM »
Doug,
My unprofessional opinion is that 7 or 8 weeks would make a world of difference,  but that same untrained eye says they may need to re-sod a couple of them because they looked gone to me.   

ed_getka

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2009, 10:45:23 PM »
Jim,

I played Wilmington Muny shortly after it reopened from the restoration and it was terrific. There's a lot of great Ross features there thanks to the Ron Prichard redo. I love the long par 4 followed by the Volcano par 3.

I'm headed back to Wilimnington late May--do you think it'll be in decent shape by then?

Jim,
    Thanks for bringing it to our attention. I am still poking around and finding courses in NC to check out so I'll add that one to the list.
Doug,
   Let me know when you come out, I would love to join you for a round. It has been too long.
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2009, 11:52:48 PM »
Ed,
A few I liked within an hour's drive of Calabash:

Land-O-Lakes in Whiteville, NC. Costs 17 to walk, 25 w/cart, and occasionally it's only 20 w/cart. It's an older course built on some very nice terrain. Houses on a couple of holes, otherwise it's a very quiet and peaceful place to play.
Same people own Carolina Shores, 22 miles up 701N in Elizabeth(?) NC. That one's a re-do by Gene Hamm. Definitely more modern but really fun to play. Again, only a few houses on a couple of holes and even though it's right off 701 it's really peaceful and quiet. Same pricing as L-O-L.
Both have interesting greens, were reasonably well maintained for the season and the price, and thay share a good mix of holes. There's a little more quirkiness at L-O-L.
Met the Super and his wife who manage both courses for the owners. Nicest folks you can imagine.

Another fun 20 bucker is Conway CC, in Conway SC and it was built in the late 20s by one of that eras most profilic and underrated designers, Unknown (he/she happens to be one of my favorite architects  ;D ). It's not a long course and it lays close to the ground, unlike much of what's found in the MB area. Very pleasant nine holes of golf. 

« Last Edit: April 02, 2009, 11:54:44 PM by Jim_Kennedy »

ed_getka

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2009, 08:33:34 AM »
Jim,
   Thanks for the additional courses I will definitely get out to take a look this spring. What great green fee values.
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back