News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Scott Weersing

TPC San Francisco Bay at Stonebrae this week
« on: March 31, 2009, 04:12:31 PM »

It looks like that there will be TV coverage of the Nationwide Tour from Stonebrae. I would like to see how the pros play this course.

Will the Nationwide pros like it, love it, or hate it?

Here is a preview story:

"If you love golf and innovative golf course design, you'll want get in on this secret. The Nationwide event will be as much a coming-out party for the much-praised David McLay Kidd course as it will be for the PGA's debut on its 29th TPC layout."

http://www.insidebayarea.com/sports/ci_12032622

Will you watch to see the course or see the shots?

Shane Wright

Re: TPC San Francisco Bay at Stonebrae this week
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2009, 04:37:14 PM »
Will definitely be watching for the course.  I have heard it is an awesome design and Jim Haley did a fabulous job of shaping.  I have not been there yet, but look forward to in the near future. 

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2009, 04:37:47 PM »
I'm more interested in how the pros will WALK this course.  Ambulances are standing by for inevitable caddie and player heart attacks.

An easy walk it ain't.  Think Kapalua.

Curious also how they are going to get any crowds in and out of there... but given the economy that may not be an issue.

All this being said, it will be interesting to see how the 2nd tier pros fare, especially if the wind comes up, as it darn near always does up there.

TH

Greg Chambers

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2009, 04:42:47 PM »

Curious also how they are going to get any crowds in and out of there... but given the economy that may not be an issue.

They have crowds at Nationwide events?  Really???
"It's good sportsmanship to not pick up lost golf balls while they are still rolling.”

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2009, 04:43:54 PM »

They have crowds at Nationwide events?  Really???

Good point.
As I say, it shall be a non-issue.... thankfully given the logistical nightmare it might be if they DID get crowds.

Jed Peters

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2009, 04:50:21 PM »
I was up there last week doing a real estate project for a client....I was SHOCKED at what a ghost town it is up there.

Brian Phillips

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2009, 05:00:02 PM »
David Kidd will be in the commentary box.
Bunkers, if they be good bunkers, and bunkers of strong character, refuse to be disregarded, and insist on asserting themselves; they do not mind being avoided, but they decline to be ignored - John Low Concerning Golf

Shane Wright

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2009, 05:09:06 PM »
I'm more interested in how the pros will WALK this course.  Ambulances are standing by for inevitable caddie and player heart attacks.

All this being said, it will be interesting to see how the 2nd tier pros fare, especially if the wind comes up, as it darn near always does up there.

TH

Heart Attacks?  I don't care how much elevation change it has...have you seen nationwide player belt lines.  I would say average waist is about 28....it just doesn't matter. 

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2009, 05:33:02 PM »

TH

Heart Attacks?  I don't care how much elevation change it has...have you seen nationwide player belt lines.  I would say average waist is about 28....it just doesn't matter. 

Note I included caddies.

;)

Shane Wright

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2009, 05:57:31 PM »
Note I didn't respond to that  :D

Matt_Ward

« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2009, 09:47:24 PM »
I will be traveling to the Bay Area sometime in late May -- can someone tell me what Doak number they would give to Stonebrae AND if a listing of top ten courses from the area were assembled -- defined as those within 75 miles of the city -- would Stonebrae make that listing.

From the standpoint of other Kidd courses -- can those who have played his original 18 at BD compare / contrast the two.

Thanks ...

Bill_McBride

« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2009, 10:21:03 AM »
I'm confused to learn this course is in the East Bay.  Wasn't there a new course built up around my old locale in Novato, in Marin County?

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2009, 10:28:36 AM »
Bill:  you're thinking of StoneTREE which is indeed relatively new and is in Novato.

This course is in the Hayward hills.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2009, 01:43:21 PM »
I will be traveling to the Bay Area sometime in late May -- can someone tell me what Doak number they would give to Stonebrae AND if a listing of top ten courses from the area were assembled -- defined as those within 75 miles of the city -- would Stonebrae make that listing.

From the standpoint of other Kidd courses -- can those who have played his original 18 at BD compare / contrast the two.

Thanks ...

solid Doak 10

Top 10 in Bay Area:
1. TPC Stonebrae
2.  Santa Teresa short course
3.  Summitpointe (Milpitas)
4.  San Jose Muni
5.  Pruneridge
6.  Pin-Hi 3hole
7.  The Ranch at Silver Creek
8.  Emerald Hills
9.  Lincoln Park
10.  Sharp Park

Compare/contrast with BD:

One's in the hills, one's on a cliff above the ocean.

You're welcome.

;D

Matt_Ward

« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2009, 01:46:51 PM »
Huck:

Your list should include the private ones too.

Like to see where Stonebrae fits when they are inserted into the picture.

Thanks ...

p.s. Truly, you give the course a 10 ?

Kalen Braley

« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2009, 01:47:20 PM »
Tom,

That is such a sweet list, I can't beleive you got access to play all those....do you think Matts connections will hook him up equally as well?  ;D  ;D

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2009, 01:48:46 PM »
Huck:

Your list should include the private ones too.

Like to see where Stonebrae fits when they are inserted into the picture.

Thanks ...

p.s. Truly, you give the course a 10 ?

Matt:

I did include all privates in my assessment.  Man those are all totally overrated.  OClub, SFGC, Lake Merced, Cal Club, etc.?  All total dogtracks, Doak 2s at best.

Come on man... short course... 3 hole course... any lightbulbs on over there?

This was meant as a NON-answer.

;D
« Last Edit: April 01, 2009, 01:55:36 PM by Tom Huckaby »

Matt_Ward

« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2009, 01:56:10 PM »
Huck:

Speaking of light bulbs - show me and others how bright you are by completing the task as originally specified. :o

Of course -- I'm assuming you can handle this e-z exercise.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2009, 01:58:03 PM »
Huck:

Speaking of light bulbs - show me and others how bright you are by completing the task as originally specified. :o

Matt,

Consider that the definitive list...as a bay area native I can totally vouch for his top 10 list.  What more do you want?

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2009, 02:01:06 PM »
Huck:

Matt, as you know I am a rating panelist for Golf Digest, and thus FAR too stupid to complete your exercise.  Given my stupidity, you are far better off with the opinion of others, of course.  Hopefully some chime in, so the rubber need not meed the road too much.

;D

Matt_Ward

« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2009, 02:09:41 PM »
Huck:

Geeze, ask a simple question and get a wonderful dodge ball / tap dance answer. I thought this would be a home run exercise for someone of your standing.

So be it ...

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2009, 02:15:52 PM »
Huck:

Geeze, ask a simple question and get a wonderful dodge ball / tap dance answer. I thought this would be a home run exercise for someone of your standing.

So be it ...

I see no dodgeball or tap dance whatsoever, Matt.  I basically told you to find out for yourself, in what was intended to be a humorous manner.

Your respect for the opinions of others is not exactly your strong suit, and I don't need yet another argument with you.  Can't see why others would want to take it on either, but heck, some enjoy pointless arguments.

So do find out for yourself...

But in case you do want to give some respect for another opinion though, I will just give you this:  in my opinion, Stonebrae will not be a waste of your time.

TH

Matt_Ward

« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2009, 02:21:08 PM »
Huck:

Thanks for the detailed reply. ::)

I was hoping someone who has knowledge of the area would be able to say where Stonebrae fits in the broader array of courses within 75 miles of downtown SF.

I get asked similar questions from people and respond.

There's no argument ...

Just a need for some local folks to highlight what they see as being the best and where Stonebrae fits -- if it fits.

Ditto the Doak number that would apply to the course.

So be it.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2009, 02:26:41 PM »
Huck:

Thanks for the detailed reply. ::)

I was hoping someone who has knowledge of the area would be able to say where Stonebrae fits in the broader array of courses within 75 miles of downtown SF.

I get asked similar questions from people and respond.

There's no argument ...

Just a need for some local folks to highlight what they see as being the best and where Stonebrae fits -- if it fits.

Ditto the Doak number that would apply to the course.

So be it.

So you say.. your writings in this forum would indicate otherwise.

My assumption remains - based on all you write in here - that you know my home area FAR better than I do.  Thus I can be of no value.  But my opinion remains that Stonebrae will not be a waste of your time.  Enjoy the round, and all others you set up here. Just do take a cart at Stonebrae.

TH

TX Golf

« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2009, 02:27:54 PM »
I agree with Huck that Stonebrae won't be a waste of your time, but also don't see it making any top 10 list.

75 miles brings into play pasa, maya, and maybe even Sacramento/Monterey.

On the cell phone in finance class so don't have the time to create and explain a list right now.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back