News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Frank Sullivan

Dunedin CC
« on: April 03, 2009, 12:41:00 AM »
Has anyone played Dunedin CC since the renovation in 2006-2007?  I am curious to hear what people think of the course before and/or after the restoration.  Like most of us, I have a love for Ross-designed courses which started in high school as the French Lick course was on our team circuit.

Also, if anyone has any pictures they would like to post, I'd sure appreciate it!

Thanks!

Frank Sullivan

Re: Dunedin CC
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2009, 08:53:21 AM »
Anyone from the last Dixie Cup?

John_Cullum

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2009, 09:49:56 AM »
I took a couple of guys out after Dixie Cup, and I had played it once before, but not before any work was done. I don't know what all was done.

The Mini Verde on the greens has done very well and they don't overseed. It's a vey enjoyable place to play, and walking friendly. The crowds are gone after this week and now would be a great time to play
"We finally beat Medicare. "

Brett Waters

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2009, 11:29:14 AM »
I played it last February. Can't remember alot about it, but I do remember it was a pretty fun course to play. If I remember correctly, several greens were difficult and there were some pretty hard holes, especially with the 30+ mph winds I had on that day.

Pete Lavallee

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2009, 06:01:17 PM »
Frank,

I was one of the lucky guys who John took there and really liked the course; hopefully my impression wasn't tainted by the tasty grouper sandwich we had just before the round. As he stated the Mini Verde really made those green complexs shine. I particularly remember a 3 footer above the hole on the first short par 4 on the back nine that I had to play 3 feet outside the hole! I actually won a skin there as my competitor three jacked after hitting the green in regulation but left himself above the hole. As usual with Ross courses you play a reasonable overall distance but use every club in the bag. You get long and short versions of the par 3's, 4's and 5's. Very few dead straight holes and holes are oriented towards all the compass points to make use of the wind. If I remember correctly they had to wear masks when they charged us $45 for twilight! For a property that's dead flat and has little natural features to work with, Mr. Ross did quite a nice job.
"...one inoculated with the virus must swing a golf-club or perish."  Robert Hunter

John_Cullum

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2009, 08:12:36 PM »
That $45.00 was a tough one for a local to swallow. That is the most I paid all year to play golf. People will never believe that Florida is the best value in golf in all the world

Kyle Harris

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2009, 08:16:44 PM »
Frank,

I was one of the lucky guys who John took there and really liked the course; hopefully my impression wasn't tainted by the tasty grouper sandwich we had just before the round. As he stated the Mini Verde really made those green complexs shine. I particularly remember a 3 footer above the hole on the first short par 4 on the back nine that I had to play 3 feet outside the hole! I actually won a skin there as my competitor three jacked after hitting the green in regulation but left himself above the hole. As usual with Ross courses you play a reasonable overall distance but use every club in the bag. You get long and short versions of the par 3's, 4's and 5's. Very few dead straight holes and holes are oriented towards all the compass points to make use of the wind. If I remember correctly they had to wear masks when they charged us $45 for twilight! For a property that's dead flat and has little natural features to work with, Mr. Ross did quite a nice job.

Pete,

Not sure I'd call that property dead flat, especially on the front nine. There are some blind/semi-blind and difficult uphill approached on the 3-7 stretch.

Frank Sullivan

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2009, 08:21:44 PM »
Thanks gentlemen...I appreciate it!

I'll make my way over to Dunedin soon!

John_Cullum

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2009, 10:02:09 PM »
Frank,

Pete,

Not sure I'd call that property dead flat, especially on the front nine. There are some blind/semi-blind and difficult uphill approached on the 3-7 stretch.

Dunedin is sort of typical, southeast flat land Ross. If there is a bit of contour to be found, he makes the most of it. The front 9 is a solid as any. On the holes down around the tidal canal on the back side, he obviously had to move alot of earth around (way more than you could ever dream of doing these days), but he puts a hump here and there or a push up green and makes the most out of it.

I think the oversize bunkers look great; they enhance the subtle features of the land and create some visual deception

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back