News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Chris Munoz

Norman at CapCana
« on: March 27, 2009, 06:18:28 AM »
Wondering if any body will be watching Golf Channel this weekend, The CapCana Championship will be aired.  The featured person this week here in the DR will be the Shark.

That will help out the Champions tour greatly.
What do you guys this of Punta Espada.  As any og you guys played it.  I am the assistant superintendentk next door at a new Tom Fazio course, Corales. 

Chris Munoz.

Christian C. Munoz
Assistant Superintendent Corales
PUNTACANA Resort & Club
www.puntacana.com

Jeff Evagues

Re: Norman at CapCana
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2009, 07:27:28 AM »
I might watch but it won't be because of the most overrated golfer ever.
Be the ball

Anthony Gray

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2009, 08:20:22 AM »

Sure I'm watching. And wishing I was there.

Anthony

JSlonis

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2009, 10:19:01 AM »

Wow...while Norman had his issues, some self inflicted and some not, to call him the most overrated golfer ever is a bit harsh.  He was the #1 ranked golfer in the world for over a 6 year stretch.

Number of wins by tour
PGA Tour 20
European Tour 14
PGA Tour of Australasia 33
Other 22

Best results in Major Championships
(Wins: 2)
The Masters 2nd/T2: 1986, 1987, 1996
U.S. Open 2nd: 1984, 1995
Open Championship Won: 1986, 1993
PGA Championship 2nd: 1986, 1993

Achievements and awards
PGA Tour of Australia
Order of Merit winner 1978, 1980, 1983, 1984, 1986, 1988

European Tour
Order of Merit winner 1982

PGA Tour
leading money winner 1986, 1990, 1995

PGA Tour Player of the Year 1995

Vardon Trophy 1989, 1990, 1994

Byron Nelson Award 1988, 1990, 1993, 1994, 1995

In 1986 Norman led all four major's after 3 rounds, while he only won the Open Championship that year, it is still a hell of an accomplishment.

With that record, I'd love to have been overrrated too. ;D ;D

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2009, 10:37:08 AM »
I'll watch. 8 ocean holes. Good weather. Why not?

By the way, Norman just signed with Taylor Made. I guess he got bought out by MacGregor. I hope his new R9 driver is fine tuned.

"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Scott Warren

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2009, 10:50:38 AM »

Michelle Wie is getting Champions' Tour sponsor's exemptions now?!

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2009, 03:10:34 PM »

I would proffer the reverse, there were very few who were better.

Bob

Mike Wagner

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2009, 03:51:15 PM »
Jeff,

You may want to a least give an explanation of your statement.  Unless you didn't follow golf in the 80's and 90's, it's impossible to undertand your thinking.

Greg Krueger

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2009, 04:28:21 PM »
I tend to agree with Jeff. The guy only won 2 majors. I can think of several players that have won 2 majors: John Daly, Andy North, Curtis Strange.....
he did have a wonderful career though, but he does'nt even sniff top 20 of all time.

Scott Warren

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2009, 04:49:47 PM »
Obsession with majors is myopic, and trying to pidgeonhole Greg with JD or Andy North is downright insulting.

TEPaul

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2009, 04:52:43 PM »
CapCana?!?

I'll nominate that one as the corniest name ever drapped on a golf course!  ;)

Anybody want to make a great rock bottom price deal for a corporation that makes golf apparel? I think Norman's line is available as we speak.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2009, 04:55:05 PM by TEPaul »

Anthony Gray

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2009, 05:18:23 PM »
CapCana?!?

I'll nominate that one as the corniest name ever drapped on a golf course!  ;)

Anybody want to make a great rock bottom price deal for a corporation that makes golf apparel? I think Norman's line is available as we speak.

Tom,

I speak spanish and Cap Cana means Merion.

Anthony

Jeff Evagues

« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2009, 05:20:56 PM »
Jeff,

You may want to a least give an explanation of your statement.  Unless you didn't follow golf in the 80's and 90's, it's impossible to undertand your thinking.
Well, I've only followed golf since the 60's. My impression has been that Palmer and Nicklaus (among others) and of course Tiger had as their overriding desire to win tournaments. Norman always struck me as always just interested in the money.
Be the ball

Scott Warren

« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2009, 05:22:24 PM »
On what basis? How heartbroken he was each and every time he found a way not to win?

Mark Smolens

« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2009, 06:04:58 PM »
Larry Mize, Bob Tway, Robert Gamez. . . if you said unluckiest golfer of all time you'd have been correct.  Was the GW Shark fixated on making $?  Perhaps that was the way he felt he'd be judged and judge others.  Did he make some ridiculous excuses for some shots and/or decisions that cost him golf tournaments?  Absolutely.  But to call him or his golf career "overrated" is in my view bordering on the absurd.

TEPaul

« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2009, 07:09:16 PM »
"Tom,

I speak spanish and Cap Cana means Merion."

Horseshit, Anthony. I know damn well what the name CapCana is! It's one of those phony names that these marketing genius/jerks run through a computer to determine what the general market's reaction to various names will be. Can you believe anyone actually takes people in that business seriously and actually pays them?

They told that club or project that for various reasons the name CapCana got the most interesting and powerful responses from the most Desperate Housewives out there, and they convinced that project that could make that place more money. The subliminal message in that name is that place has a lot of sexy pool boys or whatever to keep those desperate housewives amused when their "good-for-nothing" husbands are doing whatever "good-for-nothing" husbands do when they are on vacation with their desperate wives.

Barrfff and Double Barrfff!
« Last Edit: March 27, 2009, 07:11:33 PM by TEPaul »

Lyne Morrison

« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2009, 07:14:25 PM »

Wow...while Norman had his issues, some self inflicted and some not, to call him the most overrated golfer ever is a bit harsh.  He was the #1 ranked golfer in the world for over a 6 year stretch.

Number of wins by tour
PGA Tour 20
European Tour 14
PGA Tour of Australasia 33
Other 22

Best results in Major Championships
(Wins: 2)
The Masters 2nd/T2: 1986, 1987, 1996
U.S. Open 2nd: 1984, 1995
Open Championship Won: 1986, 1993
PGA Championship 2nd: 1986, 1993

Achievements and awards
PGA Tour of Australia
Order of Merit winner 1978, 1980, 1983, 1984, 1986, 1988

European Tour
Order of Merit winner 1982

PGA Tour
leading money winner 1986, 1990, 1995

PGA Tour Player of the Year 1995

Vardon Trophy 1989, 1990, 1994

Byron Nelson Award 1988, 1990, 1993, 1994, 1995

In 1986 Norman led all four major's after 3 rounds, while he only won the Open Championship that year, it is still a hell of an accomplishment.

With that record, I'd love to have been overrrated too. ;D ;D

indeed

Obsession with majors is myopic, and trying to pidgeonhole Greg with JD or Andy North is downright insulting.

well said - thank you Scott

Jeff,

Well, I've only followed golf since the 60's. My impression has been that Palmer and Nicklaus (among others) and of course Tiger had as their overriding desire to win tournaments. Norman always struck me as always just interested in the money.

??? - Tiger has just accepted AUS$4.5 million to show up at Kingston Heath

PThomas

« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2009, 11:04:11 PM »
"Tom,

I speak spanish and Cap Cana means Merion."

Horseshit, Anthony. I know damn well what the name CapCana is! It's one of those phony names that these marketing genius/jerks run through a computer to determine what the general market's reaction to various names will be. Can you believe anyone actually takes people in that business seriously and actually pays them?

They told that club or project that for various reasons the name CapCana got the most interesting and powerful responses from the most Desperate Housewives out there, and they convinced that project that could make that place more money. The subliminal message in that name is that place has a lot of sexy pool boys or whatever to keep those desperate housewives amused when their "good-for-nothing" husbands are doing whatever "good-for-nothing" husbands do when they are on vacation with their desperate wives.

Barrfff and Double Barrfff!

very good Tom! :D
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back