News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Anthony Gray

Shoes?

Rich Goodale

Not yet, but I'm still young.....

Roger Wolfe

Never for me... and not yet for my club.

Anthony Gray

I am playing at a private club this weekend so I looked on their web site. It says do not change your shoes in the parking lot.

Anthony

jeffwarne

edit
« Last Edit: March 26, 2009, 02:43:33 PM by jeffwarne »
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

PCCraig

When someone didn't want someone wearing mud shoes around their nice clubhouse.
H.P.S.

Roger Wolfe

My board and membership do not have a problem with folks changing shoes in the parking lot.  It's that simple.  If they did, we wouldn't allow it.  We are a "golfers club," and our policies reflect that.

If we had shoe shine employees whose existence needed justification and the only way to do that was by forcing members and guests to change shoes in the locker room... maybe we would have that rule too.

:D

jeffwarne

Roger,
I misread your first answer.
You and your board have it right!!!!
Sounds even more like a great place.
I got a bit dismayed at Palmetto when they felt compelled to mention the no shoes in parking lot policy in every newsletter!
seems so irrelevant to me, esp. somewhere as laid back as Palmetto
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Roger Wolfe

We are eagerly awaiting your visit, Mr Warner.  And you are welcome not only to put your shoes ON in the parking lot... but to slam them together and send grass and mud all over the Porsches and Mercedes parked next to your hooptie.

May I suggest a home and home?  Me and my supe/pro vs you and your's?

Anthony Gray

Where in the club house is the proper place to slam your shoes together?

Anthony

Ed Oden

Re: When and where did not changing your shoes in the parking lot start?
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2009, 03:08:05 PM »
We are eagerly awaiting your visit, Mr Warner.  And you are welcome not only to put your shoes ON in the parking lot... but to slam them together and send grass and mud all over the Porsches and Mercedes parked next to your hooptie.

Roger, I think you need a member of the greens committee to tag along.

Jeff, we draw the line at changing your clothes in the parking lot.  You need to at least stay in your car for that.

Philippe Binette

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2009, 03:10:19 PM »
I always change my shoes in the parking lot... I'm there to play golf and I'm not disturbing anybody doing it...

Like what, somebody will come and say: you're ruining the game and the image of the club by changing your shoes in the parking lot... and then drive away in his golf carts.

Roger Wolfe

« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2009, 03:11:30 PM »

Jeff, we draw the line at changing your clothes in the parking lot.  You need to at least stay in your car for that.

We'll make it shirts versus skins.

jeffwarne

« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2009, 03:11:46 PM »

Roger, I think you need a member of the greens committee to tag along.

Ed,
I typically change clothes at the 7-11 after buying the beer ;)
but don't worry, I patronize the clubhouse bar as well

Philippe Binette

« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2009, 03:11:50 PM »
Only time I'm not changing my shoes in the parking lot is after the round when I go for  lunch of drink... I'll go to the locker room

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2009, 03:18:38 PM »
Weren't there golf shoes and clubhouses before there were parking lots? I presume it started then.
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Greg Tallman

« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2009, 03:19:53 PM »
Abpout the time steel shafts were invented.

Brent Hutto

« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2009, 03:36:51 PM »
Who needs a parking lot? I put 'em on when I get dressed in the morning and don't pull 'em off until I get home. Life's too short to be changing shoes all day. Next you'll be expecting me to change underwear before Sunday rolls around...

rjsimper

« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2009, 03:59:07 PM »
I always change my shoes in the parking lot... I'm there to play golf and I'm not disturbing anybody doing it...

Like what, somebody will come and say: you're ruining the game and the image of the club by changing your shoes in the parking lot... and then drive away in his golf carts.

Would your opinion change if you were a guest at a course where your gracious host requested that you kindly change your shoes in the locker room?

Anthony Gray

« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2009, 04:00:45 PM »

Jeff Wayne has it on this one.

Anthony

Kalen Braley

« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2009, 04:03:54 PM »
Since when was it ever OK?

Seems to be conduct unbecoming a proper gentleman. I'm not sure whats worse, changing your shoes in the parking lot or leaving your cap on in the dining room?  ;)

jeffwarne

« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2009, 04:05:01 PM »

Would your opinion change if you were a guest at a course where your gracious host requested that you kindly change your shoes in the locker room?

I would respect the wishes of my insecure host. ;D
Seriously, I would abide by rules of my host's club, or my own club (even if I do think it's  silly)
Often I do what Brent does as it avoids all the nonsense.

Kyle Harris

« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2009, 04:05:16 PM »

Seems to be conduct unbecoming a proper gentleman. I'm not sure whats worse, changing your shoes in the parking lot or leaving your cap on in the dining room?  ;)

No proper gentleman would judge people in such a manner.

;)

Kalen Braley

« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2009, 04:13:46 PM »

No proper gentleman would judge people in such a manner.

;)

Well,

No proper gentleman would ever call out another gentleman in public forum.   ;D

rjsimper

« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2009, 04:46:59 PM »

I would respect the wishes of my insecure host. ;D
Seriously, I would abide by rules of my host's club, or my own club (even if I do think it's  silly)
Often I do what Brent does as it avoids all the nonsense.

I abide by the club rules as well, and sometimes enjoy changing shoes in the locker room if time is not at a premium.

I have to chuckle, though, at seemingly bombastic responses which intimate "screw the policies, I think it's dumb and I will do whatever the F I want with my shoes" as I took my quoted post to be.  I suspect that if playing a round at Merion or any other club of stature, and the club policy was that you walk barefooted from car to clubhouse, shower your feet, wait for the locker room attendant to dry them by hand, and tip them generously for doing so, all before shoeing thyself, that each and every one of us would hope that his feet were calloused enough to survive the journey.

If I misunderstood Mr. Binette's intent, then I apologize, but I do not think I have misunderstood.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back