News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Joe Bausch

food and golf architects
« on: March 26, 2009, 11:28:14 AM »
I realize some will see this as being off-topic, but perhaps it isn't.

I'm wondering if the architects on board here would care to elaborate about their food likes.  For instance, when you are traveling, do you look for the nearest Outback, Carrabas, etc?  Or do you seek out a small, non-chain place?  Are you pretty conservative in your food likes, or do you love to try a place that most people would consider 'on the edge'?

Step up to the plate if you will please!
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Anthony Gray

Re: food and golf architects
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2009, 11:31:19 AM »

KIBI...KIBI...KIBI

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2009, 11:45:51 AM »
Joe,

Finding an "on the edge", non-chain place is one of the joys of traveling for me. I typically ask about the best Thai place in town, to start!
jeffmingay.com

Bill_McBride

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2009, 12:38:07 PM »
Grits.

Philippe Binette

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2009, 12:52:54 PM »
In my case, I most of the time ended up in small town where gastronomy (especially for a french guy) is not the talk of town...

But here's some recommandations:

Merritt BC (Sagebrush Golf Club) : go to Garden Sushi... look like nothing from the outside but awesome food.
Merritt BC: Keith's Awesome Spaghetti (not a restaurant)

St Andrews Scotland: Really like the Mexican place (don't remeber the name)

Bridport Tasmania: Top Pub Wednesday (the pub on top of the hill on the main street), great food and drinks
Brian Schneider's Indian Cooking Performance were great too.

Most of the time, I stay away from the big chains, like to find some nice small place with local food and a nice smile... Montreal is full of this.

Ian Andrew

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2009, 03:57:17 PM »
To be serious...

I go to somewhere where I can get grilled fish on more than half the nights I'm away from home. I still eat fast food but I'm trying to drop the pizza/subway habit and eat healthier.

First choice over everything is Cajun.

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2009, 04:08:24 PM »
Ian,

I avoid nearly all fast food (usually), except Subway. A couple weeks ago though, I was on the road and pressed for time. I hurried into a McDonald's drive thru! Can't remember the last time I did this.

Man, did that Quarter Pounder, fries and Coke taste good... I didn't feel so hot about 30 min. later though  ;D
jeffmingay.com

Kalen Braley

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2009, 04:15:49 PM »
Ian,

I take it you haven't heard of this guy?

Lost all his weight on an almost exclusive subway diet.  (Of course what they didn't tell you is the massive amount of miles he walked every day at the same time!! )  ;D

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2009, 04:16:23 PM »
You don't get a body like mine by avoiding fast food......Its White Castle or Krystals for me!  Actually, my typical travel schedule is to work until perhaps 2-3 PM and then fly wherever.  Since there are no meals on the plane, and I have some driving to do after landing usually, I do end up with a lot of fast food.

I was in NYC with my daughter the last few days. When it came time to eat I strove to avoid the chains.  We went into a local NY style deli right off Times Square and paid $46 for 2 sandwiches.......Now I remember why I eat at chains. Geez, the Starbucks was only $0.30 higher, not 300% higher.

To reduce billing hassles, I actually just put a per diem in my contracts for meals.  Then, I don't have to worry about the client thinking I am cheating them by eating at fancy places, nor explain just what the heck I do when I eat.
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2009, 04:24:44 PM »
Jeff,

Good call with the per diem...

If I was one of your clients and a pile of White Castle receipts showed up, I'd have to re-evaluate our relationship  ;D
jeffmingay.com

Tom_Doak

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2009, 05:40:13 PM »
Philippe:

As Mike Clayton said to me about Barnbougle, one of the reasons it's doing well is that the day the clubhouse opened, it was the best restaurant in Bridport!  So I am sure Bill Coore and company have better options for food than we did.  Thanks for being a pioneer.

Wyatt Halliday

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2009, 05:45:15 PM »
St Andrews Scotland: Really like the Mexican place (don't remeber the name)

Wait a sec...Isn't that kinda like ordering Thai food in North Dakota?

Mike_Young

« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2009, 05:51:00 PM »
Lately......tuna and gallo pinto.....or if they catch another fish then I eat that......
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

Duane Sharpe

« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2009, 10:29:22 PM »
Ian,

I avoid nearly all fast food (usually), except Subway. A couple weeks ago though, I was on the road and pressed for time. I hurried into a McDonald's drive thru! Can't remember the last time I did this.

Man, did that Quarter Pounder, fries and Coke taste good... I didn't feel so hot about 30 min. later though  ;D

I am sure you ate some "chubby chicken" from A & W more than once ::)!  I know Whitt highly recommended it! LOL
Whitt doesn't get his  "physique" from eating subway!
Sharpee

Mike_Clayton

« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2009, 10:42:37 PM »
Tom,

I was at Barnbougle last Sunday, Monday and Tuesday.
It is amazing how busy the course is and the 'restaurant' is always full - golfers and non-golfers alike.
The Lost Farm looks terrific.-Even Mike Keiser's favourite hole - the uphill par 3, 17th - is very good.  Mike has addded a hole after the 13th (13a) but I can't imagine Bill losing this one.
Richard is looking to have the best 20 hole course in the world - they are adding a short hole back to the clubhouse after the 18th

There was a tour rule about restaurants in Europe - if you found a good one you kept going back the whole week.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2009, 10:47:56 PM by Mike_Clayton »

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2009, 08:00:19 AM »
Ian,

I am sure you ate some "chubby chicken" from A & W more than once ::)!  I know Whitt highly recommended it! LOL
Whitt doesn't get his  "physique" from eating subway!
Sharpee

Duane,

It was the Chubby Chicken, during 2001-03 (Blackhawk), that made me quit fast food  ;D
jeffmingay.com

PCCraig

« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2009, 08:16:57 AM »
Ian,

I take it you haven't heard of this guy?

Lost all his weight on an almost exclusive subway diet.  (Of course what they didn't tell you is the massive amount of miles he walked every day at the same time!! )  ;D

You know I just went to Jared's sister's wedding in Indy around Christmas last year. For a guy that walks alot you would be shocked how bad his limp is.
H.P.S.

Michael Dugger

« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2009, 07:21:14 PM »
Tom,

I was at Barnbougle last Sunday, Monday and Tuesday.
It is amazing how busy the course is and the 'restaurant' is always full - golfers and non-golfers alike.
The Lost Farm looks terrific.-Even Mike Keiser's favourite hole - the uphill par 3, 17th - is very good.  Mike has addded a hole after the 13th (13a) but I can't imagine Bill losing this one.
Richard is looking to have the best 20 hole course in the world - they are adding a short hole back to the clubhouse after the 18th

There was a tour rule about restaurants in Europe - if you found a good one you kept going back the whole week.

1st it was the 19th hole at Stone Eagle

Then a 19th hole at Sebonack

Then the "bye" hole at Erin Hills

Now we have a 20 hole course

This is beginning to remind me of that great movie, Something about Mary. 

Hitchhiker: You heard of this thing, the 8-Minute Abs?
Ted: Yeah, sure, 8-Minute Abs. Yeah, the excercise video.
Hitchhiker: Yeah, this is going to blow that right out of the water. Listen to this: 7... Minute... Abs.
Ted: Right. Yes. OK, all right. I see where you're going.
Hitchhiker: Think about it. You walk into a video store, you see 8-Minute Abs sittin' there, there's 7-Minute Abs right beside it. Which one are you gonna pick, man?
Ted: I would go for the 7.
Hitchhiker: Bingo, man, bingo. 7-Minute Abs. And we guarantee just as good a workout as the 8-minute folk.
Ted: You guarantee it? That's - how do you do that?
Hitchhiker: If you're not happy with the first 7 minutes, we're gonna send you the extra minute free. You see? That's it. That's our motto. That's where we're comin' from. That's from "A" to "B".
Ted: That's right. That's - that's good. That's good. Unless, of course, somebody comes up with 6-Minute Abs. Then you're in trouble, huh?
[Hitchhiker convulses]
Hitchhiker: No! No, no, not 6! I said 7. Nobody's comin' up with 6. Who works out in 6 minutes? You won't even get your heart goin, not even a mouse on a wheel.
Ted: That - good point.
Hitchhiker: 7's the key number here. Think about it. 7-Elevens. 7 dwarves. 7, man, that's the number. 7 chipmunks twirlin' on a branch, eatin' lots of sunflowers on my uncle's ranch. You know that old children's tale from the sea. It's like you're dreamin' about Gorgonzola cheese when it's clearly Brie time, baby. Step into my office.
Ted: Why?
Hitchhiker: 'Cause you're fuckin' fired!
What does it matter if the poor player can putt all the way from tee to green, provided that he has to zigzag so frequently that he takes six or seven putts to reach it?     --Alistair Mackenzie--

Tim Nugent

« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2009, 07:36:54 PM »
Like Jeff, I like to sample the local fare,  BBQ in Tomball, some little dive in Kona that had terrific Kilua pig, the Horny Toad cantena in Cave Creek (the Boulders),  a steak house in Midland that served steak family style by the number of diners (and the biggest onion rings ever).  Lately, the Firefly in Effingham, Il - it was actually reviewed by Bon Appetit,  a roadhouse in the middle of nowwhere Vail AZ.  Just as long they have cold beer.
Coasting is a downhill process

Norbert P

« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2009, 07:42:59 PM »
  In Walla Walla it's La Monarca*!!!  

For dinner it was Troy Russell's farmhouse barbecue !!!

*If Maryann wasn't blessing us with lunch.
"Golf is only meant to be a small part of one’s life, centering around health, relaxation and having fun with friends/family." R"C"M

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back