News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Alex Chehansky

Traditional golf course - Phoenix
« on: March 21, 2009, 09:28:59 AM »
Taking some friends to Phoenix for Sweet 16 this weekend.  They want to play a "traditional, parkland" course.  Are there any in the area?

Alex

SL_Solow

Re: Traditional golf course - Phoenix
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2009, 10:05:04 AM »
Talking Stick courses are close as are McCormick Ranch courses.

Ryan Farrow

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2009, 10:32:16 AM »
Tell them you are in the Desert and you should be playing desert golf courses! But seriously, the "Parkland Style" golf courses around here are far inferior to the desert courses.  The closest thing to a good parkland course is Papago, but they just axed a lot of their trees and they are probably closed for the LPGA event preparation.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2009, 10:40:34 AM »
Go over to Phoenix side and play the Wigwam courses, Gold and Blue.  Forrest Richardson did some really good restoration / renovation work there recently and it's in great shape.  There is very little "desert" feeling.

http://www.wigwamresort.com/golf.html

Forrest Richardson

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2009, 11:51:04 AM »
Arizona Biltmore Adobe (c. 1928). It is the most classic (and parkland) of all the courses here. The Wigwam is about 30 miles west in Litchfield park. Bill likes it because he played the 7,400 yard tees on the Gold.   :D   And, lived to tell about it.

— Forrest Richardson, Golf Course Architect/ASGCA
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

Jason Topp

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2009, 12:37:53 PM »
I can understand the perspective of your friends.  If you are spraying the ball it is nice to avoid a course with desert everywhere.

McCormick Ranch in Scottsdale is a decent (relatively) affordable parkland course.

Mark Kinney

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2009, 07:42:53 PM »
Alex,

If you are staying in the West Valley (over by the stadium), I give a second recommendation to the Wigwam.  My fav is the Gold course, but the Red is very good as well.

Up in Sun City, within 30min of the stadium is another personal favorite of mine, Hillcrest GC.  Housing only on the perimeter of the property.  A good test for all abilities.

Damon Groves

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2009, 08:15:48 PM »
Arizona Biltmore Adobe (c. 1928). It is the most classic (and parkland) of all the courses here. The Wigwam is about 30 miles west in Litchfield park. Bill likes it because he played the 7,400 yard tees on the Gold.   :D   And, lived to tell about it.

I agree this is the best parkland style course in the Phoenix area but also agree to tell your buddies Phoenix is in the desert and should try a desert style course. I love both WeKoPa courses.

Forrest Richardson

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2009, 08:58:27 PM »
My parkland picks:

Gainey Ranch, Arizona Biltmore, Wigwam, Starfire, Phoenix CC, Mesa CC, San Marcos, Raven at South Mountain, Encanto (muni), and Arizona CC.

San Marcos is very rough around the edges. Encanto is, well, a muni...mostly neglected. Phoenix CC is John Fought's remake of an old, classic layout. Mesa CC is fairly mundane. Raven is a great example of Gary Panks at his best. Starfire is very tight...among courses that Palmer & Co. would likely appreciate if people did not associate their name with the place. Gainey is an overlooked layout, c. 1980s. Arizona CC was recently renovated, a solid and pleasant layout...but, nothing very special.

I am certainly biased, but if you play the Adobe at the Biltmore, finish and ask to be shuttled up to the Wrigley Mansion (open Fri-Sat) for a drink. Mr. Wrigley was the brains behind the Adobe, convincing Mr. Bell, Sr. to come to Arizona and layout a course. Mrs. Wrigley's bedroom overlooks the 9th at the Adobe.

...and, by the way, it was a desert course in its early days.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jjsink/1836779606/
« Last Edit: March 21, 2009, 09:04:27 PM by Forrest Richardson »
— Forrest Richardson, Golf Course Architect/ASGCA
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

Carl Nichols

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2009, 10:54:45 AM »
I can understand the desire to not spend all day looking for balls in the desert.  Seems like We-Ko-Pa Saguaro (desert course w/ some decent width) might be a good compromise.

Mark Smolens

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2009, 05:12:38 PM »
Sorry, but it seems quite odd to me that one would go to the desert looking a parkland alternative to desert golf. 

Haven't played the Biltmore Adobe since the work by Mr. Richardson, but pulled my dad's clubs there (and at Wigwam) when I was in the third and fourth grades (late 60s).  Used to get a nickel for every ball I could find in the oleander bushes from Mr. Gallagher, a friend of my dad's -- in addition to my $1 + a cheeseburger fee.  Cocktails at the Wrigley Mansion would be a fine end to a round at the Biltmore.

I would take your friends to the user-friendly, read that "wide", desert courses like Saguaro or Raven at Verrado (even Grayhawk's mounds make their fairways difficult to miss). . .

Jim Sweeney

« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2009, 08:34:20 PM »
Second, third, fourth the Wigwam, any of the three courses, but the gold and Blue particularly. Fees might help you decide- I played the Wigwam iGold n January for $65.00!
"Hope and fear, hope and Fear, that's what people see when they play golf. Not me. I only see happiness."

" Two things I beleive in: good shoes and a good car. Alligator shoes and a Cadillac."

Moe Norman

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2009, 08:45:06 PM »
Wigwam Gold is now$59 and Red and Blue are $49 and Biltmore Adobe is $59 at golfnow.com

"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Chris Holcombe

« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2009, 12:48:30 PM »
I will be staying at the Sheraton Phoenix and have the opportunity next Wednesday morning for one round of golf. I will not have a car so any recommendations on a course that I can cab to? Thanks.

Jason Topp

« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2009, 02:22:03 PM »
I will be staying at the Sheraton Phoenix and have the opportunity next Wednesday morning for one round of golf. I will not have a car so any recommendations on a course that I can cab to? Thanks.

I asume you are downtown.  Papago would be the obvious choice but I think the LPGA is there next week. 

Vistal is pretty close and usually reasonably priced.  I think the course is one of the best values in the area.

I am not a big fan of ASU Karsten or Raven at South Mountain although either would be acceptable if you got a great price.

Mark Smolens

« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2009, 02:30:51 PM »
golfnow.com usually has good prices on the Whirlwind courses (former site of a Natiowide event so you can compare your game to the ridiculously good players out there that noone knows)

Alex Chehansky

« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2009, 02:56:50 PM »
thanks everyone, very informative.  I narrowed the choices for the guys and low and behold they selected Talking stick North!!!  They had already played Biltmore and Wigwam.  The post about not wanting to search for balls all the time was correct, they are mid to high handicappers who want to have fun, not kill themselves.  Appreciate the feedback, futher proving the value of this site!

Alex

rjsimper

« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2009, 06:01:47 PM »
thanks everyone, very informative.  I narrowed the choices for the guys and low and behold they selected Talking stick North!!!  They had already played Biltmore and Wigwam.  The post about not wanting to search for balls all the time was correct, they are mid to high handicappers who want to have fun, not kill themselves.  Appreciate the feedback, futher proving the value of this site!

Alex

Talking Stick North is anything but "traditional" OR "parkland"

TS-South is often criticized by this crowd for being TOO parkland-ish.

Chris Holcombe

« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2009, 09:38:31 AM »
Thanks Jason, I am going to check out Vistal.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back