News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John Nixon

Saving the Sagamore Club, Noblesville, IN
« on: March 24, 2009, 10:12:10 AM »
Short column here from the Indianapolis Star about some sort of restructuring at the Sagamore Club, a Nicklaus course in nearby Noblesville. I don't know much about the course, have never talked to a member, and learned little from this surprisingly uninformative piece, but apparently someone managed to do something to "save" it, or at least avert financial problems for the time being. I don't recall seeing the course mentioned much here, so I'd be interested if we've got anyone here who's played the course. 

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2009903220304

March 22, 2009

Nothing par about these golfers

Bill Kubly is an aw- shucks Badger from Wisconsin who runs a golf course development business out of Nebraska.

So he was a little taken aback by the standing ovation and hearty handshakes from a couple of hundred Hoosiers Wednesday night. Many were golfers who had given up five- and six-figure investments to save the Sagamore Club just east of Noblesville.

Kubly got the standing O because he worked all winter with homeowners, golfers, investors and the bank to save the club that features a Jack Nicklaus Signature course and expensive homes.

"We're stubborn. We don't like to give up," said Kubly, owner of Landscapes Unlimited, which built the course beginning in 2001. "What kept coming back to us was how great the members are."

How great? Founders who had invested $100,000 each exchanged their preferred shares for a tiny fraction in equity to help clean up the balance sheet. So did charter members, many of whom paid $40,000 each. The initial partners and the golf course operator similarly canceled liabilities, all of which erased more than $8 million.

Kubly's company wrote down $3 million and added $1.5 million as part of the deal that gave Salin Bank enough confidence to redo the mortgage. Landscapes also bought the last 73 of 330 home lots. That consolidation aligns the interests in a way that puts selling golf memberships on par with building houses.

That's why most of the people crowded into the clubhouse last week were smiling. "The easiest thing for them to do was just write a $3 million check and walk away," said Adam Grant, a scratch golfer who built a home just off the second fairway. "Everybody would have lost their investment, but who could have blamed them?"

Indeed. Indianapolis has a wealth of good golf courses, so keen competition for members meant Sagamore struggled to break even. The souring economy slowed homebuilding, and then in November the bank threatened to foreclose.

Instead of wilting under the pressure, eight people formed a nonprofit called Friends of Sagamore. When talks stalled, the group served as a conduit to restart negotiations.

It worked. Kubly expects to maintain the current 360 memberships, including 300 for golf. The max is 390. Now the club has time to build slowly toward that.

"We've been given an opportunity to make this club go," said Bob Ballard, a Friend of Sagamore whose house is near the first fairway. "We're going to make it go."

The season's first rounds will be played Tuesday. Everyone already knows the score.

Chris_Clouser

Re: Saving the Sagamore Club, Noblesville, IN
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2009, 12:19:00 PM »
I've played it.  Actually I posted a pretty detailed review of it when it opened.  It is a good course but suffers from repetitive green complexes, overused brush areas, and fairly ordinary golf for the private course level in the state.  It would probably rank behind Purgatory and Prairie View in my mind as far as quality. 

There are some good holes though.  The 2nd reminded me a lot of what I remember about Muirfield Village.  The 8th could have been an outstanding hole if they had done something different with the green, but as is it is a fine hole.  11 is another example of a wasted opportunity, they could have created a great short par four, but instead went with a par three with water protecting one side of the hole and short, just like two other par threes on the course.  It is a fine course, just nothing that screams at you or something you haven't seen before.

I'm not surprised they had issues on the financial level.  I don't think they got the number of people into the club they originally thought they would and that was in the golf hey day a few years ago. 

Nick Church

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2009, 12:57:19 PM »
I played there twice when I lived in Fishers.  I belonged to a competing club, Bridgewater.   The clubs competed in a Ryder Cup style event.  Both clubs were opened around the same time, in close proximity to one another.

Nice Nicklaus course, a couple memorable holes especially on the back side.

I remembering touring a couple of their show homes.  Pretty nice.

John Nixon

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2009, 01:14:26 PM »
Thanks Chris, I will dig up your review.

Nick, I do remember thinking at the time the two clubs were close to opening that it will be interesting to see how they do relative to each other in terms of attracting members. I've not heard anything about problems at Bridgewater, but I'm kind of out of that loop.

Brian Joines

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2009, 08:59:54 PM »
http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,5227.0.html

That's a link to Mr. Clouser's write-up. I haven't played the course or even seen pictures of it before.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back