News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Peter_Herreid

Chambers Bay report (with a few photos)--3/21/09
« on: March 24, 2009, 11:52:30 AM »
In reference to a previous post about the state of the greens at CB, I thought I might provide an update as of this past Saturday.  I thought I had seen that several GCA'ers had be planning to play there last week, but I didn't see them offer up any impressions...

There has been unquestionable considerable activity down there over the past 4 weeks since I had last played in February.  The new tees grading in on several holes are quite intriguing (I will post a photo of the new back tee on #15 later)--one in particular that I think will be a great addition will be the new back tee on #1 (that I believe can be used for #10, as well).  It is just off the main practice green and behind and more to the right of the existing tee complex for #1.  The effect, when #1 is played from there, will be to encourage a fade-shape off the tee, which might mean challenging the vast right-side waste area in order to catch the "speed slot" down the right fairway.  The hole will be, I think, about 490-500 yds from that tee...

#4 is now played to a temporary green, which is 170 yds (according to the sprinkler heads) back downhill along the right side of the fairway from the original green.  The right side of the new green is hard against the blow-out area right, and the hole will play 310-320 from the sand tees and 345-360 from the navy tees, etc...The temporary #4 green is already putting perhaps better than #13 green, and should be not noticeably different in another month or two...Noticeable work has not yet begun on the original 4th green, but there is some supposition that the dune to the right of the green will be altered to 1) allow more exitways off the green  2) expand the playable area back and to the right 3) something different altogether!

#7 and #13 greens have had weatherizing blankets placed on them in the evenings recently, and there has been some improvement in overall quality in the last 4 weeks.  #7 seems to be a bit closer to bouncing back than #13, which still has some significant scruffiness to it, but both seem to be progressing...

#12 green is even further along the path to consistency...

The remaining 15 greens are, by and large, doing quite well, and in fact I would use the term "pristine" to describe #8, #11, #5 and #17, to name just a few...

Yes, there are slower than typical for most CCFAD or private club players, and uphill (or rarely "upgrain") putts need to be struck firmly, but the consistency and uniformity continue to advance...

To those who would argue that one must stay away because of the greens, I think that opinion may be terribly short-sided, as I would think that cost, travel ease and weather considerations would be far more important than the state of the greens.  As an example, I would much sooner travel to CB to play right now than I would Riviera (a course I enjoyed immensely), only to find out #6 and #10 were on the "temporary rotation" there...

More later...
« Last Edit: March 24, 2009, 12:35:14 PM by Peter_Herreid »

Peter_Herreid

Re: Chambers Bay report--3/21/09
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2009, 12:34:00 PM »
The fog was just hanging there for the first 5 holes or so on Saturday, so this won't be the best view of the temporary 4th green, but for those who are familiar with the property, it will give you some idea of the positioning of the new green

You can barely make out the original 4th greensite way up in the fog on the top right...

Here is the view from the new tee on #15, which is on top of a dune to the right of the 12th fairway...The hole will functionally play about 215-225 or so from this tee, perhaps maxed out to 235-240 or so, but maybe one of the CB fellows can confirm this for me...

Finally, timing in life is everything--first group off on a Saturday morning at 8am at Chambers, here is the US Open Rolex walking back to the shuttlebus...

Stephen Britton

Re: Chambers Bay report (with a few photos)--3/21/09
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2009, 12:42:52 PM »
Is the second photo a temp green?
"The chief object of every golf architect or greenkeeper worth his salt is to imitate the beauties of nature so closely as to make his work indistinguishable from nature itself" Alister MacKenzie...

Peter_Herreid

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2009, 12:47:26 PM »
Yes, Steve, that 2nd photo is a closer-up of the new (temporary) 4th green, which has essentially been created by altering the mowing pattern of the existing fairway in that area over a period of about 3 weeks in February/March.

It should be in play the entire time the original 4th greensite is out of commission, which conceivably could be (although not hoped for) until next August and the US Amateur...

Stephen Britton

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2009, 05:03:48 PM »
Good looking temp green IMO..
"The chief object of every golf architect or greenkeeper worth his salt is to imitate the beauties of nature so closely as to make his work indistinguishable from nature itself" Alister MacKenzie...

Scott Weersing

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2009, 09:34:33 PM »

Yes, we played on March 20, the day before and it was great. The greens were fine. I made a birdie on No. 13 during the afternoon round so I would say the green is ok. The No. 12 green was also in need of some warm weather.

We asked them what they were going to do with No. 4. They said they are going to flatten the back of the green so people will be able to walk on the back of the green. Golfers were all walking on the front of the green to get to No. 5 tee.

They were also removing strips of sod to the left of the green as they are planning on expanding the green. The assistant superintendent said that this would be taking place soon. He also said that courses all have some tinkering done. I asked if his crew was going to do the work and he said no. He said Bruce C., Jay, and Mike Davis had been out to look at the hole.

They are putting in some new tees. We saw one being built on No. 11 and a new one on No. 15 that makes the hole 230 yards. They were also putting in some new tees down by the tracks on No. 17.

They are also building a huge practice area next to the park for the US Amateur.

Scott Weersing

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2009, 09:35:19 PM »

Here is the link to the March 20 report:

http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,39125.0.html

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back