News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

TEPaul

Bunker surrounds, their grasses and maintenance!?
« on: May 26, 2002, 09:19:18 AM »
We sure as hell have talked a ton about bunkering on classic course (or any courses) and the "look" of it!! Basically the rugged, edgy look vs the more modern clean and super maintained look. We've talked a lot about the handworked "detail" look vs the more modern "machined made" look.

But we've never talked that much about the grasses used on the bunker surrounds and the maintenance practices on various grasses.

Obviously Blue grass is a tough bunker surround grass and probably fairly easy to maintain with a maintenance cutting practice.

But what are the various "maintenance practices" on various bunker surround grasses?

Is the weedeater or some kind of modern edging equipment one of the biggest reasons for the clean more modern maintained look on bunkers today? Obviously in the old days to have that clean look the bunker edges had to be done by hand, so maybe bunkering just wasn't maintained that way because it was too maintenance or manpower intensive.

Who uses a weedeater or some kind of edger on bunker surrounds and bunker edges today and who doesn't and why?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by 1056376800 »

John_D._Bernhardt

Re: Bunker surrounds, their grasses and maintenanc
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2002, 09:34:45 AM »
I am very interested in this too. And not just in one region of the country.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2002, 03:19:06 PM »
TEPaul,

Edgeing probably accounts for more bunker alteration than any other single influence.

Willie_Dow

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2002, 04:57:28 PM »
8)
To destroy the surrounds of a bunker is a major mistake, in my mind.
Mel Lucas and I looked at some of the old bunkers at YNW and we found yarrow.  Obviously put there to support the banks of this steep slope.  
Cut that away, and you have lost the entire future of that original creation.
Willie

Jimbo

GCA Heresy
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2002, 06:00:29 PM »
Did anyone else see the classic match on the golf Channel today between Bolt and Sarazen from 1958 in Sarasota, FL?

The bunkers were ragged and there were thick patches of it in the body of the sand.

It occurred to me that roundup didn't exist and that the bermudagrass would have to be pulled out of the sand by hand.  And that Flymows and edgers were in the future.

I'd bet that when the bunker edges were laid, and the sand was placed that they liked the look, and bemoaned the fact that it would deteriorate.

If they had the resources, I'll bet the golden agers would have liked their courses to be maintained like AGNC is today.

Think about it.  Perfection is attractive.

Lock and load flamethrowers.

Don_Mahaffey

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2002, 07:26:42 PM »
Jimbo,
I'm glad you said it because I wasn't touching this subject. How long would we keep our jobs if we let the bermuda run wild in our traps. If we decide to eliminate a trap we can just leave it be one summer and it will be gone.  

Kevin Smith

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2002, 07:54:20 AM »
One of the more remarkable traits of successful golf course superintendents is their ability to adapt and efficiently solve unique challenges at their site.  A compelling factor in any supt's. operation is the need to efficiently utilize the labor hours available.  I think this reality has been, and will continue to be, a significant influence at most facilities.

As a result, chemical edging has proven to be a viable alternative to physical edging at many warm and cool season grass facilities.  Plant growth regulators have become widely used, not only to reduce mowing frequencies, but also to enhance turf quality on tees, greens, and fairways.  Furthermore, non-selective herbicides are sometimes used to reduce warm season turf encroachment.

When physical edging does become necessary, I would suspect that string trimmers and/or reciprocating edgers are the favored choices.  Use of these items allows the supt. to neatly trim the overhanging grass without gouging into the edge.  There may be a need, on an annual or semi-annual basis, to use a power/sidewalk edger (or manual labor) to restore a desired smooth edge.  Certainly, there is some potential for loss of shape over a period of time as this work is performed.

There has been a bit of a trend toward alternative grasses on bunker faces and surrounds to help cope with some of the maintenance challenges.  Zoysia is becoming more widely used in warm climates due to its significantly slower growth habit, improved drought tolerance, and winter hardiness compared to many bermuda varieties.  Dunlop White provided an interesting description of the zoysia bunker surrounds at OTC by referring to them as having "an upholstered look".  I have also seen buffalograss used in several situations although it has failed quite miserably in the desert southwest.

Improved fine fescues are finding their way onto several bunker faces that were formerly Kentucky bluegrass due to their comparatively improved drought tolerance and reduced fertility needs.  Fescues also provide a significant contrast to KBG in terms of color and texture.  And, as most here already know, fescues can provide a pleasing effect and contrast when left unmowed.

Sand deposition is a significant problem on bunker edges.  Brooming, compressed air, and high pressure water application are some of the means by which supt's. can remediate this problem.  However, it is but one source of potential bunker challenges.  Others include: erosion, damage from foot traffic, entrance and egress damage from mechanical bunker rakes, improper raking practices, sand contamination, inadequate or damaged drain lines, poor construction, improperly installed or ineffective lining materials, a sand that does not meet favorable performance criteria, a membership that can't decide between firm and soft playing conditions, etc.

While I'm sure that I've only scratched the surface of the answer to your question, I hope this helps.      

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back