News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Steve D

2009/2010 Golf Digest Top 100 list
« on: March 20, 2009, 08:40:20 AM »
This should be on news stands April 10th, but clearly because of printing schedules the list must be completed.  Does anyone have any inside info on the new GD Top 100 list??

Steve

PThomas

Re: 2009/2010 Golf Digest Top 100 list
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2009, 09:49:44 AM »
no info, sorry, but thanks for the heads up so i can start getting ready to give certain GD raters with the initials TH a hard time... ;) ;D
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2009, 09:54:50 AM »
no info, sorry, but thanks for the heads up so i can start getting ready to give certain GD raters with the initials TH a hard time... ;) ;D

Is that white noise?  Chirping from the peanut gallery?

The wailing of the envious will take place for sure, as it always does here in this den of lunacy.  Bring it on.  Meanwhile out in the real world, the return of America's greatest (and really only one cared about) list will be celebrated.

TH

PCCraig

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2009, 10:22:57 AM »

The wailing of the envious will take place for sure, as it always does here in this den of lunacy.  Bring it on.  Meanwhile out in the real world, the return of America's greatest (and really only one cared about) list will be celebrated.

TH

Tom! Quick! Duck!
H.P.S.

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2009, 10:26:35 AM »
Cmon guys...

Let's at least wait to see the crappy list before trashing it!  ;)

PThomas

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2009, 10:31:29 AM »

TH

i shall hold my thunder til the nonsense - i mean list - is actually posted ;) :D

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2009, 10:35:54 AM »
That makes three... envious GW panelists whistling in the wind.....

Why wait guys?  The entire forum here knows what you're going to say.....

PThomas

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2009, 10:39:15 AM »
Cmon guys...

Let's at least wait to see the crappy list before trashing it!  ;)

Yes, it's at least theoretically conceivable that it might not suck too bad this year... ;D

my counsel speaks for me , your honor

Jim Franklin

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2009, 10:52:01 AM »

TH

I will second this remark.
Mr Hurricane

Adam_Messix

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2009, 11:03:37 AM »
Come on guys, no matter who puts out the list or who is on the particular rating panel, the particular list is going to subject to some discussion.  I think it's healthy.  I think everyone needs to take a step back and look into the parameters that the particular group of raters are given in rating the courses by the publication.  I think as long as the discussion relates to the merit of the courses in general, and given that everyone on this site has pretty strong opinions on the subject, there's nothing to complain about.   

I'm looking forward to seeing the Golf Digest list as well as the Golf Magazine list in September as I was when Golfweek came out with their list last week. 
« Last Edit: March 20, 2009, 11:08:17 AM by Adam_Messix »

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2009, 11:05:17 AM »
Come on guys, no matter who puts out the list or who is on the particular rating panel, the particular list is going to subject to some discussion.  I think it's healthy.  I think everyone needs to take a step back and look into the parameters that the particular group of raters are given in rating the courses by the publication.  I think as long as the discussion relates to the merit of the courses in general, and given that everyone on this site has pretty strong opinions on the subject, there's nothing to complain about.   

That is sensical, logical, and of course correct.

But it doesn't quell the rivalry among friends here.

Lots of us have done this for years... and know each other pretty well.  So bear with us as we talk smack.

;D

Adam_Messix

« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2009, 11:06:18 AM »
TH--

I understand where you're coming from.... 

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2009, 11:13:15 AM »
However will we find it lodged between yet another Tiger swing technique, this spring's fashions, and Dave Pelz lining up more scientific equipment on a green than exists at Los Alamos labs?  ;)

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2009, 11:15:58 AM »
However will we find it lodged between yet another Tiger swing technique, this spring's fashions, and Dave Pelz lining up more scientific equipment on a green than exists at Los Alamos labs?  ;)

We'll find it in a magazine that golfers have heard of, and that some actually read... and whose rating panelists are sought out, rather than denied when they come begging... like sadly occurs to the panelists from some other magazine.....

;D

Tom_Doak

« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2009, 11:19:44 AM »
Tom Huckaby:

I pity you for having to defend what is about to come ... even though I have no idea of how many changes there will be.

Last year's change in definition of proper golf course maintenance "SHOULD" have a profound effect on the ranking of certain courses, but it remains to be seen how that will work out.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2009, 11:23:16 AM »
Tom Huckaby:

I pity you for having to defend what is about to come ... even though I have no idea of how many changes there will be.

Last year's change in definition of proper golf course maintenance "SHOULD" have a profound effect on the ranking of certain courses, but it remains to be seen how that will work out.

Tom D.

You assume I will make any attempt to defend, praise, or even acknowledge....

I'll let the envious bleat away.   In the meantime, you and I both know which lists matter and which don't... quality notwithstanding....

TH

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2009, 11:24:01 AM »
Hmmm...haven't heard that one, Tom...

It must be tough to choose when unsolicited invites from PV, NGLA, ANGC, Cypress Point, and Merion all arrive on the same day!!  ;D

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2009, 11:29:42 AM »

It must be tough to choose when unsolicited invites from PV, NGLA, ANGC, Cypress Point, and Merion all arrive on the same day!!  ;D

It is tough indeed.   ;D
« Last Edit: March 20, 2009, 11:38:15 AM by Tom Huckaby »

Tim Gavrich

« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2009, 11:38:17 AM »
This has probably been answered in previous ranking list threads, but how does one actually become a rater for GolfDigest or GolfWorld or the other major magazines?  I humbly volunteer my services should an opening appear!
Senior Writer, GolfPass

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2009, 11:38:23 AM »
Tom,

Agreed its all in good fun but I've seriously never heard of a course accepting raters from one publication and not another;  to me it seems they just all have generally applied policies one way or another. 

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2009, 11:43:06 AM »
Tom,

Agreed its all in good fun but I've seriously never heard of a course accepting raters from one publication and not another;  to me it seems they just all have generally applied policies one way or another. 

Hmmmmmmmmmmm.....

They do exist, Mike.. several....  But this was rather a low blow, for which I apologize. Just do recognize I do have this as a trump card should the bashing get too vociferous.

;)

Tim Leahy

« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2009, 01:44:20 PM »

It is tough indeed.   ;D

Without giving your ratings, Tom, can you say what courses you rated last year?
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2009, 01:48:22 PM »

It is tough indeed.   ;D

Without giving your ratings, Tom, can you say what courses you rated last year?

None of those!

And I don't do all that many; but also haven't really kept track.  Do you have any in mind you want to know about?

Tim, this is just all in good fun crap amongst friends, as I have said.  I consider many GW raters - including Paul, Dave, Mike - as friends of mine.  Consider all posts in here with an ocean of salt.

TH

Jim Nugent

« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2009, 03:23:33 PM »
Funny thing is, despite all the ribbing, the various lists are pretty much the same. 

Riviera is one big exception. 

Greg Tallman

« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2009, 06:34:04 PM »
Seņor Huckaby,

I have the perfect oppoertunity for you. The Goflweek crowd has a "panelist summit" here in Cabo this June. Perhpas you would like to be my guest for the week and even be the keynote speaker on course ratings... I would pay to watch.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back