News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Derek Dirksen

The Patriot GC
« on: March 19, 2009, 11:47:01 PM »
Here is a look at RTJ II's latest project called the Patriot.  Jay Blasi is the lead architect for the project.  The Patriot golf course will traverse four distinct landscapes throughout the round. High plains, deep woods, stone canyons and a low meadow will serve as the backdrop for this dynamic golf course. The course will be designed for a wide variety of users and feature wide fairways and very natural bunkering. Here is a look at a rendering of the routing and the first two holes of the course.  I will post a couple holes a day. 

Hole 1 – Par 5 – 565 Yards
The first hole is a dramatic downhill par 5 played through a wide ravine. The tee offers spectacular views of the Tulsa skyline and drops 198 feet to the canyon below. The second shot works from right to left and will present the player with numerous options and angles of attack.

Hole 2 – Par 4 – 422 Yards
The second hole is a medium length par 4 playing across the low meadow at the base of a steep bluff. The hole works slightly from left to right and offers two fairways bisected by a native grass swale. The safe route off the tee will require clearing the creek on the second shot. Alternatively, the risky tee shot that clears the creek is rewarded with a shorter approach to the green.

Derek Dirksen

Re: The Patriot GC
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2009, 11:51:20 PM »
Hole 3 – Par 4 – 479 Yards
The long, uphill par 4 third works from right to left. Like the second, this hole again plays along the base of a steep bluff through the low meadow. Three greenside bunkers defend left hole locations

Hole 4 – Par 5 – 504 Yards
The par 5 fourth hole heads north climbing steadily through a very dramatic ravine. The fourth hole marks the beginning of a 3-hole “scoring” stretch that follows the floor of a dramatic stone canyon. The fourth is a shortish risk/reward par 5 that works gently from left to right. The hole was routed around a small creek that criss-crosses the hole providing players with multiple options on each shot.

David_Tepper

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2009, 05:01:32 AM »
Derek -

Thanks very much for this informative post. Could you mention where this course is located?

DT

PCCraig

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2009, 07:39:29 AM »
Looks pretty cool.

Doesn't seem like he had a lot of room with those huge "estate lots." Because of which the routing is a little bland for me in that they are two loops going the same way.
H.P.S.

Craig Van Egmond

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2009, 07:49:36 AM »

Derek,

Thanks for posting the updates. As an Okie I am looking forward to checking this course out.

David,

The Patriot is located in Owasso, Oklahoma which is just northeast of Tulsa.

Here is a link with some background..

http://www.cybergolf.com/golf_news/the_patriot_designed_by_robert_trent_jones_ii

tlavin

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2009, 01:44:30 PM »
On paper it looks like a textbook example of the real estate developer overwhelming the golf course architect.

Jason Connor

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2009, 04:27:17 PM »
Dan Rooney is leading this project.  Capt.  Rooney is a U.S. Air Force Pilot (Oklahoma reserves), has done multiple tours over Iraq flying F-16s, and is a member of the PGA of America.

http://www.golfdigest.com/magazine/2007/08/kindredrooney_gd0708

He and his father own a few courses including Grand Haven GC in Michigan.  I had the pleasure of playing Grand Haven a few years back with his father, Prof. John Rooney.

Here's a bit that was shown about Dan during the PGA Championship.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUljK1bk4ZM

And Capt Rooney speaking at a PGA of America event:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGIolhysydY

He also leads a Labor Day weekend fund raising drive at golf clubs to raise money for Folds of Honor Foundation to provide scholarships to wounded or fallen servicemen and their families.

If your club doesn't participate, please consider it in 2009.

http://www.foldsofhonor.org/
We discovered that in good company there is no such thing as a bad golf course.  - James Dodson

Derek Dirksen

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2009, 08:27:55 PM »
Looks pretty cool.

Doesn't seem like he had a lot of room with those huge "estate lots." Because of which the routing is a little bland for me in that they are two loops going the same way.

On paper it looks like a textbook example of the real estate developer overwhelming the golf course architect.

Pat, Terry,

The ownership group (Owasso Land Trust) made the golf course the priority. Which is hard to come by these days.  Do to topography, setbacks, and vegetation you will not see a single house on this course.  What you don't see from the rendering is that the house lots are well off the holes.  Something like 250 feet off of the holes.  Holes 1 thru 5 either sit in canyons or at the bottom of a bluff.  The elevation of the canyons are well over 100 feet.  One other feature associated with the housing is they have routed it so there are only 2 road crossing on the entire course. 

14 of the 19 holes were shaped as is.   Earth was only moved earth on 5 holes.  The only reason why any earth was moved is because holes 15, 16, 2 are in a flood plain.  The creeks were left as is, making them features instead of imposing our will on the terrain.

Derek Dirksen

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2009, 08:42:10 PM »
Here are holes, 5 , 6a, and 6b. 

Hole 5 – Par 4 – 316 Yards
The drivable par 4 fifth hole also plays along side the existing creek. The tiered tee box offers players the safe lay up left of the creek or the option to carry the creek on the right and go for the green. A lone coffin bunker protects the right side, while the creek guards the left side.

Hole 6A – Par 3 – 135 Yards
The first par 3 on the course is the shortest and completes the “scoring” swing on the front nine. Set at the confluence of three ravines this green allows for no margin of error. The backdrop for this short par 3 is a rock face some 20 feet tall.

Hole 6B – Par 3 – 135 Yards
Like its partner, this short par 3 offers a do-or-die scenario. Set within a dramatic rock canyon this green setting is a one of a kind in Oklahoma and beyond. The long skinny green will make proper club selection vital.

Craig Van Egmond

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2009, 01:09:42 PM »

Derek,

What is the planned opening for the golf course?

Keep on posting those pics!

Derek Dirksen

« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2009, 06:27:01 PM »
Craig, I think opening will be late summer or early fall???

Here are holes 7 thru 9

Hole 7 – Par 4 – 384 Yards
The tee shot at the par 4 seventh plays to the crest of gentle hill. From there, the hole penetrates through a rock shelf and sweeps down into a ravine. The green hangs on the edge of the creek with an old rock dam beyond. The best way to attack this green is by feeding the ball in on the left and allowing the slope to release the ball onto the green.

Hole 8 – Par 4 – 467 Yards
This uphill par 4 takes the player out of the canyons and into the woodlands. The wide fairway allows players to choose their angle of attack. The right side will provide a shorter approach but must challenge the creek, while the left provides more room for error and yields a longer approach. This wide green is surrounded by bunkers making up and downs difficult.

Hole 9 – Par 3 – 232 Yards
The final hole on the front is a long par three playing slightly downhill. A small ravine flanks the right side and should be avoided at all costs. The best way to find the surface is to utilize the funneling slope in the fairway. Balls running through the green will find certain death in a huge ravine.

Derek Dirksen

« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2009, 02:44:11 PM »
Here are holes 10 thru 12

Hole 10 – Par 5 – 601 Yards
The tenth hole is the first hole to traverse the high plains environment. Set in an open field of grasses, the long par 5 heads east playing slightly uphill. Offset bunkers will force players to calculate angle, distance and trajectory. Like many holes at The Patriot, the area around the tenth green features a lot of tightly mown areas. This allows players of all abilities a chance at recovery while still challenging the games best.

Hole 11 – Par 3 – 172 Yards
The eleventh hole also plays in the high plains. This long par 3 features a well protected green flanked by bunkers front left and fairway hollows right and long. The green features a strong slope at the back that will allow players to access the left side of the green through smart play.

Hole 12 – Par 4 – 404 Yards
After a couple holes in the high plains, the course now heads back into the woods. The twelfth is a medium length par 4 moving from left to right. This downhill hole sweeps gently into a shallow bowl and continues to fall for the length of the hole. The green, situated in an area between two large rock outcroppings, is bracketed by bunkers left and right.

RJ_Daley

« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2009, 01:11:59 AM »
I've never been to that part of country.  It sure doesn't look like my preconceived notion of OK... other than the photo of 10 with the oil storage in background.   You can't see a single funnel cloud in the sky on any of those pics...  ;) ;D ::)

Really, if Jay Blasi is running this crew, it looks something like his hometown's University Ridge, which was an RTJjr design.  But, it sure has a lot of rock walls and ravines, which aren't my favorite features on a golf course, not that this terrain offers any alternative.  Got snakes?  :o
It is almost as if they found a perfect water course to follow with the meandering creek on several holes in a semi-circle, which must have been a fun exercise in routing. 

It looks like some very interesting centerline LZ bunkering, and double FWs.  It looks like it has a little of something for everyone, drivable par 4, split FW alternative shot challenges, etc.  But, what is going on with the two par 3s at 6a&b?  It also appears to be strenuously walkable.  I assume it is open to the public.  Could this be used as a home course for a University team?  It looks like it may be a real winner.  Craig, I may need to get my back right and make a road trip to to see you in tornado alley!  ;) ;D

I can't wait to see the pics of the field of play double use FW for 15-16.   That puts me in mind of Wild Horses #2-3 holes in reverse or mirror image, right down to the centerline bunkers leading into 16 par 5. 

I wonder what they are sodding it with... Zoyzia maybe?  Then they have hydroseeding and who knows what for greens turf.  It would be great if Jay made one of his rare appearances here on GCA.com to talk about it.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2009, 01:54:55 AM by RJ_Daley »
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Craig Van Egmond

« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2009, 08:06:11 AM »
Here is the website for the Patriot Golf Club..

http://www.patriotgolfclub.com/

They have some videos of the making of certain golf holes and the start of a golf blog with some pic's by Jay Blasi on it. 

Looks like it will be a  private course and the targeted opening day is July 4th of this year.

Here are the various membership options... no prices listed..

http://www.patriotgolfclub.com/imgUL/File/PatriotMembershipProgramUpdated.pdf

« Last Edit: March 23, 2009, 08:08:29 AM by Craig Edgmand »

Derek Dirksen

« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2009, 11:19:04 AM »
R.J.

Yes the turf is as follows: tee's- cavilier zoyzia, fairways-myers zoyzia, approaches- cavilier zoyzia, and the greens are A1-A4 bent.  When I got to the sight last April I was blown away by the topography.  Not what I expected when I got to Tulsa, OK.  As for the water tank on #10.  It's going to be taken down in the near future!!!  Yes, we encountered quite a few snakes during construction.  We have found the following types, timber rattlesnakes, copperheads, and water moccasins. 

Here are holes 13 and 14.

Hole 13 – Par 3 – 203 Yards
The par 3 thirteenth is perhaps the most versatile par 3 at The Patriot. Two sets of tees offer two completely different angles to the largest green on the course. The green is set on the edge of a ravine (left) and sweeps hard from right to left. Back left hole locations will test the resolve of any player.

Hole 14 – Par 4 – 483 Yards
Perhaps the most dramatic of all the ravines is that of the 14th hole. The long par 4 begins with 190 foot drop off the tee and moves hard from left to right. The second shot is played into an open entrance green hanging over the banks of a creek left and long. The ideal route is a fade off the tee and a draw into the green.

Craig Van Egmond

« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2009, 11:31:58 AM »

Derek,

The Tulsa/NE area of the state is known as Green Country and has a much more varied terrain than the central and western parts of the state. That area also has lots of trees and some very nice lakes.

As you found out we also have snakes, including 5 different varieties of rattle snacks. We also have black widows, brown recluses, scorpions and ticks. 

Derek Dirksen

« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2009, 11:36:07 AM »
Lots of ticks!!!

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2009, 02:53:55 PM »
Course looks interesting but what I can't get my head around is this fetish for using perculiar names. Why not call it Owasso Golf Club or something of that ilk ???

Derek Dirksen

« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2009, 07:31:26 PM »
Dan Rooney is leading this project.  Capt.  Rooney is a U.S. Air Force Pilot (Oklahoma reserves), has done multiple tours over Iraq flying F-16s, and is a member of the PGA of America.

http://www.golfdigest.com/magazine/2007/08/kindredrooney_gd0708

He and his father own a few courses including Grand Haven GC in Michigan.  I had the pleasure of playing Grand Haven a few years back with his father, Prof. John Rooney.

Here's a bit that was shown about Dan during the PGA Championship.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUljK1bk4ZM

And Capt Rooney speaking at a PGA of America event:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGIolhysydY

He also leads a Labor Day weekend fund raising drive at golf clubs to raise money for Folds of Honor Foundation to provide scholarships to wounded or fallen servicemen and their families.

If your club doesn't participate, please consider it in 2009.

http://www.foldsofhonor.org/

Course looks interesting but what I can't get my head around is this fetish for using perculiar names. Why not call it Owasso Golf Club or something of that ilk ???

Jon,

As the above quote says the course was put together by Dan Rooney, the founder of Patriot Golf Day.  The course will be the home to the Folds of Honor Foundation (http://www.foldsofhonor.org/).  I believe that is the reason why it is named "the patriot".   

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2009, 03:00:40 AM »
Derek,

Thanks for the post, I had missed that one somehow. I guess its mainly  a case of different cultures.

RJ_Daley

« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2009, 03:24:57 AM »
Derek, are you the super or construction super, or with RTJjr's design team?

Jeez, 190 ft drop tee to green is a lot!  Is 'strenuous walk' being a little too optimistic?   ;D  As Butch Cassidy might have said, 'hell, if the fall don't kill you, the snakes probably will'.  ::) ;) ;D

I'm trying to figure this thing out before you post the final holes... If you drop 198 off first tee, then it seems to enter a lot of relatively open mildly varied elevation corridors tee to greens, and nothing seemed too much up hill in the photos, then you drop another 190 on 14, I'm thinking you must have a ski lift-tow rope or something back to the CH.  No? 
« Last Edit: March 24, 2009, 03:31:14 AM by RJ_Daley »
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Derek Dirksen

« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2009, 10:18:14 AM »
RJ,

Ed Taano and myself shaped the the course.  I have been here for the entire construction process.  As far as the elevation goes:  1 big drop, 2- small drop, 3- uphill, 4- uphill, 5- uphill, 6a uphill, down hill, 8 up hill.  Basically you drop into the canyon on number one and work your way around to another canyon for holes 4 thru 7(which climb steadily uphill).  Back 9 loop goes as follows: 10 slightly uphill, 11 flat, 12 downhill, 13 flat, 14 big drop off, 15 downhill, 16 uphill.  17 slightly uphill.  18 flat.  On the back nine loop there is a big climb between holes 16 and 17. 

Tim Nugent

« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2009, 10:49:17 AM »
It will be interesting to see how those Zoysia tees hold up.  It's a great fairway grass and perfect for the transition zone.  Coarse and stiff, the ball really sits up.  Plus it has low fertility and water needs along with only Zoysia patch as it's only disease problem.  The only drawback is that it is slow to recover from divots.  Hence the reason it seem odd they would use it on tees. Perhaps they plan on using one of the newer seeded varieties to use in a soil/seed mix but I don't know how well that would establish.  I have cut it off with a sod cutter set for "thick" and observed it growing back from the roots.  Tough stuff.

RJ, do ya think the fairway line on 16 is all the way left for any particular reason?
Coasting is a downhill process

Derek Dirksen

« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2009, 10:51:05 AM »
Here are holes 15 and 16.  

The design was changed a little bit from the rendering posted.  Holes 15 and 16 are not connected with turf the entire way.  The area from 16 green to 15 1st landing area are connected.  The area from 15 green to 16 1st landing area is native.  Both of these holes can be palyed as par 4's with alternate tee boxes.  

Hole 15 – Par 5 – 580 Yards
Like the 13th hole at Augusta National, the fifteenth at The Patriot is a 90 degree dogleg to the left featuring a creek at the bend. Unlike Augusta, the fifteenth drops some 60-70 ft off the tee and the creek bisects the fairway well short of the green. The green is set on the base of a large wooded hillside and is guarded by two bunkers right.

Hole 16 – Par 5 – 565 Yards
Back in the low meadow, this long par 5 offers a wide variety of options from tee to green. A well guarded sliver of fairway off the tee will yield the best angle into the green. The elevated surface once again accepts a variety of approaches from bump n run to pitches to lob shots. Lack of imagination may be a player’s biggest obstacle here.

Tim Nugent

« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2009, 11:03:23 AM »
Derek, it's hard to tell from the photos but it seems the carved out bunker cavity at #5 green has old RTJsr/Stanley Thompson  ragged edges while the others look to have smoother edges. Are the all ragged?  Also, was any type of bunker liner material used, seems like some slopes come right down above the bunkers.  Any idea on how many aacres of Zoysia sod was needed?
Coasting is a downhill process

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back