News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Don Hyslop

Pembroke Country Club Saved by NHL Player
« on: March 22, 2009, 07:52:17 AM »
NHLer Jeremy Roenick decided that the golf course that he played as a youngster growing up in Mass, should not be closed so he purchased it from the Norwood Co-operative Bank who had purchased it in an auction on Jan. 9th. Plans are underway for numerous renovations now.

http://www.boston.com/news/local/articles/2009/03/22/save_nhl_player_rescues_a_golf_course/?p1=Well_MostPop_Emailed3

Course website:

http://www.pembrokecc.com/

Thanks to Mr. Roenick this course which many consider the best public course in the Boston area has been saved. This course was designed by New England architect Philip Wogan who along with Gary Sargent designed the Point Sebago layout.

Philip Wogan, whose office is located in Topsfield, Mass., is also a Fellow of the ASGCA. His connection to New England golf stretches back to the days of the giants: His father was an apprentice to none other than Donald Ross. Wogan is an expert on environmental issues associated with golf course construction and design, having written a white paper on the subject for the ASGCA.

« Last Edit: March 22, 2009, 08:15:51 AM by Don Hyslop »
Thompson golf holes were created to look as if they had always been there and were always meant to be there.

Cliff Hamm

Re: Pembroke Country Club Saved by NHL Player
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2009, 10:21:20 AM »

Thanks to Mr. Roenick this course which many consider the best public course in the Boston area has been saved.

Don...Have played most of the top ranked public courses in New England, but have never played Pembroke, nor have I ever heard it mentioned as one of the best.  Would appreciate your analysis of the course and how it compares to other public venues in Massachusetts.

Don Hyslop

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2009, 01:32:37 PM »
Unfortunately, I have never actually plyed it myself but was quoting one of the news reporters who did the story. Having looked at the layout, it does look like an intersting course. Check out some of the hole diagrams: The second photo is the approach to the 7th green. It is a par 71 course that plays to just over 6,500 yds.
  Most of the reviews from players before the course went into bankruptcy commented on how much potential the course had but how lack of maintainance was a problem. Hopefully under Roenick's ownership this fault will be corrected. Already he has work underway to make improvements; "There's new sand for the bunkers, and a new greenskeeper has been hired. ("I've been told he can grow grass on Mars," said Roenick. "I like that.") A new golf pro is on board, and renovations are underway inside the clubhouse and function hall."

« Last Edit: March 22, 2009, 01:42:31 PM by Don Hyslop »
Thompson golf holes were created to look as if they had always been there and were always meant to be there.

Tim_Cronin

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2009, 01:54:29 PM »
JR is almost as good a golfer as he is a hockey player. Played in the pro-am before the Western Open one year and was outdriving his pro, even taking the different tee into consideration.
The website: www.illinoisgolfer.net
On Twitter: @illinoisgolfer

RJ_Daley

Re: Pembroke Country Club Saved by NHL Player New
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2009, 12:56:42 AM »
Wow, I think that JR might be one very smart cookie.  That looks like a fantastic property, and I'm betting he didn't pay any 4.4MM.  Looking at the aerial, it looks like a firm and fast maintenance meld, but in need of Dr. McCulloch to perform some limb amputations. 

What class and style to buy your old beloved childhood golf grounds.  Very cool... 
« Last Edit: March 23, 2009, 01:02:35 AM by RJ_Daley »
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back