News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark Bourgeois

Re: Best 4 courses of architects
« Reply #125 on: March 18, 2009, 07:40:35 PM »
I was thinking along the same lines.  His fingerprints are on some fantastic courses, but sorting out how much was Colt is really difficult.

Is Portrush / Dunluce 100 percent Colt? The club's website makes no mention of OTM but didn't he lay out the original course?

Colt played a huge role in Ganton and if anyone deserves the credit above the title it's probably him -- but you absolutely are correct not to call it a "Colt."

Also interested to hear your rationale for Rosses Point -- especially given Colt's opinion of Swinley.

Swinley
St G H
Sunningdale New
Kennemer

Mark

Sean_A

« Reply #126 on: March 19, 2009, 06:05:44 AM »
I was thinking along the same lines.  His fingerprints are on some fantastic courses, but sorting out how much was Colt is really difficult.

Is Portrush / Dunluce 100 percent Colt? The club's website makes no mention of OTM but didn't he lay out the original course?

Colt played a huge role in Ganton and if anyone deserves the credit above the title it's probably him -- but you absolutely are correct not to call it a "Colt."

Also interested to hear your rationale for Rosses Point -- especially given Colt's opinion of Swinley.

Swinley
St G H
Sunningdale New
Kennemer

Mark

Mark

So I take it you aren't convinced Portrush can fairly be called a Colt? 

The land at Rosses Point is wonderfully varied for golf.  Flat holes, bumpy holes, uphill holes, downhill holes, sidehill holes and very importantly, water holes.  Is County Sligo the first course to really use water so well?  The bunkering is well done.  There are difficult holes mixed in with some easy holes. A bunkerless par 3 from Colt for the 4th - can you believe that?  All this adds up to one of the most strategic courses I have ever seen - its a brilliant statement of architecture.  Here is what I thought of the course last summer.

http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,35264.msg711117.html#msg711117

Ciao 
« Last Edit: March 19, 2009, 06:30:20 AM by Sean Arble »
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #127 on: March 19, 2009, 07:24:10 PM »
Was Dunluce a reno of the OTM or completely new by Colt?  It's meant as an honest question -- I don't know anything about Portrush.

High praise on Sligo. Do you plan to return any time soon?

Mark

Sean_A

« Reply #128 on: March 20, 2009, 02:57:46 AM »
Was Dunluce a reno of the OTM or completely new by Colt?  It's meant as an honest question -- I don't know anything about Portrush.

High praise on Sligo. Do you plan to return any time soon?

Mark

Mark

I believe Colt completely obliterated OTM's effort and whatever OTM utilized from before his time.  Dunluce is probably one of the very few links we can earnestly call a Colt. 

I shall not be going back to Sligo until at least 2013.  I gotta make the rounds!

Ciao 
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back