News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Cristian

Re: ***COLT IN EUROPE*** Hilversumsche GC * Pictorial*back 9 added
« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2009, 06:24:37 PM »
According to Darwin the original nine at Hilversum was design by Abercromby, and Colt added second nine in the 20s. I'm not sure which nine is Abercomby's and which is Colt's.

When Colt added the other nine he apparently revised most of the original design as well and therefore according to the club website gets most of the credit for the total design. It is certainly not a question of front or back nine, since the routing has changed considerably over the years as to create two loops of nine, which was previously not the case.

Tom MacWood

« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2009, 07:45:53 PM »
Cristian
Here are a couple of blurbs from The Times. I said Darwin wrote the articles, but they are unattributed. I suspect they are actually written by Guy Campbell. He also wrote for The Times and was a regular visitor to Holland as a member of the Army Golfing Society which annually toured the country.

"Originally there were nine holes of which Mr. Abercrombie was largely responsible; now another nine holes have been added by Mr. Colt, so that the golfer is confronted with delightful blend of subtlety and boldness that recalls the most pleasing features of New Addington and Swinley Forest. Again the course has been cut out of the wood, the fairways stretching down long aisles, where pine trees predominate, but where there is not quite so much restriction as The Hague."  ~~ 7/17/1929

"Hilversum, like the Hague, is cut out of pines, oaks, and birches, but it is not so circumscribed. Like the Hague it is on the short side in actual yardage, being just under 6000 yards, but it plays longer by comparison and its scratch score, also of 74, is even harder to accomplish. As with all Dutch courses it abounds in the most beautiful natural features which obviate an excess of made bunkers, allowing the architect to ensure such as do exist being dominating in character. There are two distinct loops of nine holes, the older made by Mr. Abercrombie, the newer the work of Mr. Colt. Together they make 18 of the most interesting testing and subtle holes imaginable, where the thinking and accurate golfer is 'in clover,' although he will look in vain for it on the new part, which is the freehold property of the club. On this part the greens and fairways are undoubtedly the best of any links course in the Netherlands, and one doubts if there is finer turf, so free of weed, so admirably uniform in texture anywhere."  ~~ 8/4/1931

« Last Edit: July 30, 2009, 12:47:20 PM by Tom MacWood »

Paul_Turner

« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2009, 08:45:08 PM »
The club history has routings of the various iterations of the course.  But  I don't have a copy and can't remember the details.

In his ads Colt actually classes the course as a new course rather than a redesign, which must have been a mistake.  Unless he thought they had redesigned the original 9 so much  that it was essentially a new course?

Tom

Yes I agree, Guy Campbell wrote those articles. He writes some others on Eindhoven, De Pan and the links.

The Hilversumche website states that Campbell did some redesign to the course immediately after the war.  So with this and the Kyle Philips redo, I'm not sure how much of Colt's work it left??
can't get to heaven with a three chord song

Tom MacWood

« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2009, 09:47:28 PM »
Paul
I think it would be more accurate for Colt to call it a new design considering it was completely new nine.

I know Campbell was an admirer Colt's. He was an early member of Sunningdale and said Colt was a major reason why he got into design.

Cristian

« Reply #29 on: July 30, 2009, 11:43:28 AM »
According to Darwin the original nine at Hilversum was design by Abercromby, and Colt added second nine in the 20s. I'm not sure which nine is Abercomby's and which is Colt's.

The club website records H. Burrows as the designer for the first 9 holes (1917 or shortly after) and also winner of the first Dutch Open played here (1923);

http://www.hilversumschegolfclub.nl/declub/historie/

Is this not correct?

Tom MacWood

« Reply #30 on: July 30, 2009, 12:44:11 PM »
Cristian
I'm probably not the right person to ask because I'm a confirmed cynic when it comes to club websites and histories.

I don't doubt Burrows was involved in some way, but based on Campbell's insight I would tend to go with his word that Abercromby was largely responsible for the original nine.

I don't know that much about Dutch history, I believe they were neutral during WWI, but nonetheless the 1917 date does strike me as odd.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2009, 01:08:42 PM by Tom MacWood »

Tom MacWood

« Reply #31 on: July 30, 2009, 10:52:37 PM »
I recalled reading about a Burrows in Colt's letters in the book Colt & Co., and I found a letter where Colt wrote about a Burrows' impressive resume in the 30s, and he mentioned that he was former caddy at Sunningdale. I'm not sure if its the same fellow or not. I'm pretty sure this H. Burrows was the pro at Antwerp.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2009, 10:56:19 PM by Tom MacWood »

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #32 on: July 31, 2009, 06:37:14 AM »
With visitors from afar using Schipol in preference to Heathrow as a European hub, courses such as Hilversum and Kennemer are easily accessed by rail direct from Schipol. If you find you have a long wait before your connecting flight it is quite possible to get in 18 holes at either.

Those who use Eurostar to get to Belgium, note that your Eurostar ticket entitles you to continue your journey anywhere in Belgium without further payment, as long as it is on the same day. And you HAVE to see Antwerp station - one of the world's great stations.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back