News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Steve_ Shaffer

Ravisloe, now a public course, opens April 1...
« on: March 18, 2009, 08:14:40 PM »
Here are the rates from the new website:

www.ravisloecountryclub.com/golf/proto/ravisloecountryclub/current_rates/current_rates.htm

I'm looking forward to a trip to Chicago this summer. The Monday to Thursday senior rate looks good to me. :D
« Last Edit: March 19, 2009, 12:33:28 AM by Steve_ Shaffer »
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Joe Bausch

Re: Ravisloe opens April 1...
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2009, 08:21:34 PM »
I can't wait to get your age Steve.   ;D

That is a nice senior discount.
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2009, 08:28:23 PM »
Joe,

You'll lose distance but your cost per stroke will go down. ;D
« Last Edit: March 19, 2009, 08:47:07 AM by Steve_ Shaffer »
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson

Dan Moore

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2009, 09:00:50 PM »
Does the $69 weekend rate include the cart fee? 

Its such an easy walk so I hope the fee is mandatory while the cart is not. 
"Is there any other game which produces in the human mind such enviable insanity."  Bernard Darwin

J_ Crisham

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2009, 10:04:18 PM »
Dan,    Any interest in a weekend round at Ravisloe when the weather breaks? We should be able to round up some GCa guys for a fun afternoon.  Let me know,    Jack

PCCraig

Re: Ravisloe, now a public course, opens April 1...
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2009, 08:23:15 AM »
No twilight rates? Perhaps they are trying to keep the # of rounds down?
H.P.S.

tlavin

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2009, 08:39:50 AM »
Based on the taxes, the operating cost and the green fees charged here, this course won't make it three years as a public.  I was talking with somebody about Rav the other day and, like everybody else, the tax bill went up more than 50% and he calculated they would need to charge $60 per round and hope to get 20,000 rounds to pay the tax burden alone.

PCCraig

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2009, 08:48:45 AM »
Based on the taxes, the operating cost and the green fees charged here, this course won't make it three years as a public.  I was talking with somebody about Rav the other day and, like everybody else, the tax bill went up more than 50% and he calculated they would need to charge $60 per round and hope to get 20,000 rounds to pay the tax burden alone.

Isn't 20,000 rounds realistic in Chicago...even on the south side of the city? I can think other publics in the city that get 50,000.

Sounds like the owner plans on keeping it afloat out of pocket?
H.P.S.

tlavin

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2009, 08:54:18 AM »

Isn't 20,000 rounds realistic in Chicago...even on the south side of the city? I can think other publics in the city that get 50,000.

20,000 rounds should be realistic for a reasonably busy public course, but there's competition aplenty and the unresolved issue is how much demand there will be to play an old-timey, short golf course.  The analysis I alluded to did not include the cost of maintenance ($500,000 on the cheap side), the cost of employing people to manage the clubhouse, the pro shop and other areas of the club or the cost of maintaining the clubhouse, which is significant because it is old, with a lot of infrastructure problems.

There's a lot of speculation about the wisdom of this guy's purchase, of course.  There's also talk that he will try to operate it as a public course and if it fails, he will have more "ammo" when trying to get the village to allow him to develop the property.  If he's ever able to develop the property, it would be a pretty good investment on his part.   Otherwise, it might just be a rich guy's folly.  Who knows?

Joe Hancock

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2009, 08:54:49 AM »
Terry,

Is that a tax of 1.2 million? If so, which tax is it, and why would be that high?

Joe
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

tlavin

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2009, 09:01:31 AM »
Terry,

Is that a tax of 1.2 million? If so, which tax is it, and why would be that high?

Joe

I'll get back on you with the number, Joe, but all of the private clubs are howling at the assessor about the increase in the tax on unimproved property here in Chicagoland.  I was a journalism major, so I'm not that reliable on the figures.  The bottom line is that making this a profitable enterprise might be a bit of a stretch.

PCCraig

« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2009, 09:52:24 AM »

20,000 rounds should be realistic for a reasonably busy public course, but there's competition aplenty and the unresolved issue is how much demand there will be to play an old-timey, short golf course.  The analysis I alluded to did not include the cost of maintenance ($500,000 on the cheap side), the cost of employing people to manage the clubhouse, the pro shop and other areas of the club or the cost of maintaining the clubhouse, which is significant because it is old, with a lot of infrastructure problems.

There's a lot of speculation about the wisdom of this guy's purchase, of course.  There's also talk that he will try to operate it as a public course and if it fails, he will have more "ammo" when trying to get the village to allow him to develop the property.  If he's ever able to develop the property, it would be a pretty good investment on his part.   Otherwise, it might just be a rich guy's folly.  Who knows?

That is interesting about the "ammo" idea.
H.P.S.

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2009, 10:08:25 AM »
Joe,

You'll lose distance but your cost per stroke will go down. ;D

I hear they throw in a walker for for u  an extra $2
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2009, 10:33:55 AM »
Cary,

A walker for $2? Not a bad idea. ;D

Maybe they'll have these also:

http://www.golfxpress.com/Single%20Rider.htm

One have my most memorable golf experiences was playing with someone who used a similar cart because of his disability.

Mark Smolens

« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2009, 01:10:49 PM »
Some company brought a single rider cart out to Cog Hill to try to sell it to the Jemseks about 15 years ago.  That one was smaller than the pictured one, and had three wheels.  Frank J. convinced one of our older guys to try it out, and told him he could actually drive it on the greens without damaging them.  On 16, I was finally able to convince Bob Grandy to give it a try.  He whipped around the ropes and came up to the green, crossing over the front corner and then up the hill to the path.  Not a mark was left.

How old do you have to be to get a "senior" discount?

Cliff Hamm

« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2009, 01:19:25 PM »
How good is Ravisloe?

PCCraig

« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2009, 01:41:52 PM »
I'll be curious to see how well they take care of the course. I would think that at $60 a round that isn't going into the condition of the greens.
H.P.S.

Joe Hancock

« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2009, 02:13:14 PM »
I'll be curious to see how well they take care of the course. I would think that at $60 a round that isn't going into the condition of the greens.

How much do green fees need to be before you can expect adequate greens conditioning?

Joe
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

K. Krahenbuhl

« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2009, 06:57:08 PM »
Article in today's Tribune...

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/chi-19-ravisloe-golf-apr19,0,127736.story

Has anybody made it out there this spring?

Steve Salmen

« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2009, 08:16:49 PM »

Kyle,

I played Ravisloe yesterday.  The place is being run like a private club.  Folks are there to greet you when you arrive and thank you when you leave.  The course was in excellent condition.  They gave 25% discount coupons for the next outing.  What the greens lack in size, they make up for in undulation.   The course is fair and enjoyable.  It cost $69 to walk and two of us teed off at noon and finished in under 3 hours.  I'd definitely return.

tlavin

« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2009, 11:48:34 AM »

Kyle,

I played Ravisloe yesterday.  The place is being run like a private club.  Folks are there to greet you when you arrive and thank you when you leave.  The course was in excellent condition.  They gave 25% discount coupons for the next outing.  What the greens lack in size, they make up for in undulation.   The course is fair and enjoyable.  It cost $69 to walk and two of us teed off at noon and finished in under 3 hours.  I'd definitely return.

That's great to hear.  I would really like Ravisloe to endure, even as a public course.

George Freeman

« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2009, 12:43:08 PM »

Steve,

What was the weather like?  I ask b/c the course must have had pretty light traffic for a twosome to finish in less than 3.  I'm thinking about playing twilight at 4 on Saturday, debating if I can get 18 in...Any thoughts?

Thanks!
Mayhugh is my hero!!

"I love creating great golf courses.  I love shaping earth...it's a canvas." - Donald J. Trump

Steve Salmen

« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2009, 12:53:25 PM »
George,

I have no idea whether or not it's becoming busy there.  When we played it was overcast and humid, but not hot.  It was nice to play that fast.  I was pleasantly surprised at the wife's pace.  It helped that she holed out on 18 from 86 yds.  Maybe we can get a game some afternoon.

Steve
mur352@yahoo.com

George Freeman

« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2009, 01:10:49 PM »
George,

I have no idea whether or not it's becoming busy there.  When we played it was overcast and humid, but not hot.  It was nice to play that fast.  I was pleasantly surprised at the wife's pace.  It helped that she holed out on 18 from 86 yds.  Maybe we can get a game some afternoon.

Steve
mur352@yahoo.com

Thanks Steve, and yes, we should definitely do that!
Mayhugh is my hero!!

"I love creating great golf courses.  I love shaping earth...it's a canvas." - Donald J. Trump

Mark Smolens

« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2009, 05:53:49 PM »
George, I played late Friday afternoon last week.  Our 2:30 tee time went off at 2:55.  We finished the front nine at 6 p.m.!  Brutal is the only way to describe it.  The stretch of holes from 4 through 7 (par 3, short par 4, par 3, par 3) was a huge bottleneck -- I think they should consider switching the nines.  The back nine was better only because several groups in front of us quit.  Thank goodness the beer cart came back out.

On the plus side, the greens were still great.  Hard to play nine holes in three hours tho. . .

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back