News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Matt_Ward

Re: Essex County CC
« Reply #50 on: April 30, 2009, 10:21:06 PM »
What's really sad is how the West Course was jettisoned from the East Course (the private one) years back. I can remember vividly playing the ole West and it was still worthy of play 30 years ago. Then the county took over and the resulting actions have simply taken the core from what was there.

Truthfully, if the West had remained and a real makeover happened through the likes of Hanse / Bahto there's no telling how good the finished product would have become.

Suffice to say, anyone visiting NJ for top quality private golf had best keep Essex County CC on the radar screen -- too many of the so-called "in the know" publications clearly have missed this West Orange, NJ. I place it among my personal top five in the Garden State -- for it not be rated among the top ten shows some serious ignorance -- if not outright stupidity. Just my opinion.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #51 on: May 01, 2009, 08:22:12 AM »
Matt,

I first played Essex County West in the mid to late 50's and it was a most enjoyable golf course.

It's the site of my first 18 hole round.  I played with three brothers who lived down the street from me.  I think I shot 124

The second hole was a Biarritz from a high tee.
There were many good holes on the golf course.
It's a shame that the course was allowed to deteriorate.

I wonder what it would cost to restore it ?

I'd also like to know what the original routing was when it was part of the original 36 hole complex.

George Bahto,

Do you have the original routing ?

George_Bahto

« Reply #52 on: May 01, 2009, 09:57:12 AM »
Patrick: the originasl routing of the West Course;

I do know it - you'd be hard pressed to figure it out, even though you, personally, know the course like the back of your hand

:P
If a player insists on playing his maximum power on his tee-shot, it is not the architect's intention to allow him an overly wide target to hit to but rather should be allowed this privilege of maximum power except under conditions of exceptional skill.
   Wethered & Simpson

George_Bahto

« Reply #53 on: May 01, 2009, 09:59:49 AM »
not to change the thread too much, but Pat, you'd also be surprised at the originl routing of Branch Brook
If a player insists on playing his maximum power on his tee-shot, it is not the architect's intention to allow him an overly wide target to hit to but rather should be allowed this privilege of maximum power except under conditions of exceptional skill.
   Wethered & Simpson

Matt_Ward

« Reply #54 on: May 01, 2009, 10:53:02 AM »
Pat:

Essex County West had a number of unique holes -- the uphill par-4 7th was a great one -- unfortunately, if memory serves, the private club took some of the land for its own use before selling -- and the hole was considerably shortened.

Ditto the qualities of the uphill par-4 12th -- just a real awesome hole with its slight movement off the hill from left-to-right.

There were drainage issues tied to the base of the 16th fairway -- believe the county tried to alleviate them -- don't know how successful that turned out though.

Of course, the famed Bobby Jones raved about the dog-leg left par-4 15th with is wonderfully placed solitary bunker that cut into the left side of the green.

Although Essex County government has invested $$ into Francis Bryne the sad reality is that the private club made a serious dumb move in getting ride of the property years ago.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #55 on: May 02, 2009, 11:11:36 AM »
George Bahto,

How did the Biarritz compare to others ?

George_Bahto

« Reply #56 on: May 02, 2009, 08:04:27 PM »
Patrick, I assume you are talking about the West course, Francis Byrne's second hole.

I think it is in the lower 10% of Biarritz holes built by Madonald-Raynor-Banks - even when the upper tee was used (it may be used now again, I haven't been there in years (RIP) - hah)

When I first started playing there in the late 1950s, the hole was 220 played from an built up upper back tee box (typical Banks thinking - he would like you to see the problems you faced clearly from most tees, if possible).

Yes it was one of the hardest pars on the course but to me, a poor example of the genre.

The swale was very shallow as was the side bunkering.

To me, just a long, hard par-3 - very forgettable.

The Biarritz at Essex County CC if very good and quite different than the norm. We added all the original bunkering thoughts of Banks from the green, all the way up the hill. It is the only I can think of that has a green angled from the direct line of play.
   Wethered & Simpson

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #57 on: May 02, 2009, 11:47:57 PM »
George,

I also played it in the mid to late 50's.  From the top.

I thought it was a most unusual hole.

I also played the Biarritz at The Knoll at the same time.
While the tee was slightly elevated, you could play different approach shots.

The 2nd at ECCCW was similar to # 9 at Yale in that it was purely aerial.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back