News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bryan Izatt

A Unique Design Feature?
« on: March 18, 2009, 12:45:08 PM »
Came across this layout in a fly-over.  Thought it looked quite odd from the sky.  I know we can't critique from aerials and pictures, but it still struck me as odd.  The course is newish and designed for public play.  Although I like the movement in the fairways and the pot bunker style, I'd guess these holes would confuse the hell out of a lot of golfers and create a backup and some liability issues.

Yannick Pilon

Re: A Unique Design Feature?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2009, 01:06:35 PM »
Brian,

There seems to be enough room on the outside of both holes to assume that this is where most golfers would aim.  The unusual thing about it is the fact that the fairway is joined for the two holes.  Appart from that, it looks almost normal to me.  I am sure the distance between the two centerlines is probably within the standards of the industry, and that the liability issue is probably not higher here, than at any other club where two holes run parallel to each other, like it is the case here.  In other words, I don't think players should be too confused....

At most other clubs, though, you would probably see rough, or worse, a huge berm with fescue or landscaping on top of it to isolate the two holes and "clearly define" them.... ::)

Where the hell is this?

YP
www.yannickpilongolf.com - Golf Course Architecture, Quebec, Canada

TEPaul

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2009, 01:17:37 PM »
That is ridiculous. The architect should've left the first one and the second to last one and taken out all the rest and the hole would be whole lot better and more interesting for everyone.

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2009, 01:25:28 PM »
With the lighting, I would posit it as Mission Hills in China.

Phil McDade

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2009, 01:25:35 PM »

Where the hell is this?

YP

Japan? One of the few places to offer lighted, night-time golf....

Bryan Izatt

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2009, 01:43:55 PM »
Yannick,

The total corridor is 150 yards wide; the left and right fairways are about 40 yards each in the LZ.  What are the industry standards for separation of centrelines?  What I was taken by was that in the photo all the players are in the middle bunkerfest.  Wonder if they are on the 1st or 10th.  So, maybe the fact that there isn't a fescue-covered berm in the middle makes the bunkering somewhat unique.  Also, the bunkers look pretty penal for the first hole of a public course.

You guys are in the right hemisphere, but it is not China or Japan.

Any guesses on the architect - I'd not heard the name before, but he did work as chief designer for a famous player/architect.

Yannick Pilon

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2009, 02:00:04 PM »
Brian,

I would consider anything below 60 metres (or 180 ft) as a potential disaster waiting to happen....  But there are no official guidelines....  "All the players" in the picture appear to be part of the same foursome, and they are all on the slice side of the fairway., so it might not be that bad on the course....

But you are right, the one large fairway makes this hole "fairly" unique, and if this is the first hole, also very difficult!

YP
www.yannickpilongolf.com - Golf Course Architecture, Quebec, Canada

Sean_A

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2009, 02:08:26 PM »
Jeepers!  It looks like a scene from War of the Worlds. 

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield & Alnmouth,

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2009, 03:05:07 PM »
It is Marina Bay in Singapore. By Phil Jacobs from the stable of Gary Player.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2009, 03:11:34 PM by Pete_Pittock »

TEPaul

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2009, 03:33:52 PM »
What I would recommend for that hole with all those individual bunkers in the middle is that they go for the "Reverse IMM" and keep the fairway soaked and receptive at all times, then encircle those bunkers with sleepers and they could have tee shot strategies something akin to a golf pinball game!  ;)

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2009, 03:36:23 PM »
  My home course, the Reserve Vineyards has the 3rd and 6th holes (Fought), both par fives with a semi-shared fairway separated by bunkers. They play in opposite directions. Mounding creates some blind spots. On the Cupp course the 6th and 15th have parallel fairways with one tree and some early mounding providing separation. They play in the same direction and receive crossfire.
  This design is superior to both with play in the same direction and the width of field of the pot bunkering provides a more adequate protection. I would guess the cluelessness of players waiting to play from the fairway of one hole is worldwide, being oblivious to people who want to tee off from the other hole.
  I am guessing the postings on the green side of the fairway bunkers is for the mowers.

Anthony Gray

« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2009, 03:39:40 PM »

Is it a hole with 2 greens? Is it Bighorn Cliffs?

Anthony

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2009, 03:51:45 PM »
Anthony,
Actual course, already identified.

Anthony Gray

« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2009, 04:06:31 PM »
Anthony,
Actual course, already identified.

Pete....sorry overlooked it......I hope you are getting geared up for the belly flops.

Anthony

Bryan Izatt

« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2009, 11:37:27 PM »
Pete,

You are, of course, right.  Have you played there or did you just search it out?

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2009, 01:25:01 AM »
Brian,
Never been to Singapore. The pictures suggested coastal asia,  and after about an hour I googled night lighted asia golf courses and trudged thru possibles.

Peter

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2009, 02:32:41 AM »
It's like a weird but not all that different version of #1 and #10 at Inverness.

Bryan Izatt

« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2009, 03:24:16 AM »
Mark,

Perhaps weirder, but then Inverness looks a little weird too.  Are the Inverness holes called the Tuning Fork holes or the Root Canal holes?   ;)

Bryan Izatt

« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2009, 03:26:18 AM »
What I would recommend for that hole with all those individual bunkers in the middle is that they go for the "Reverse IMM" and keep the fairway soaked and receptive at all times, then encircle those bunkers with sleepers and they could have tee shot strategies something akin to a golf pinball game!  ;)

What happened to the Big World theory?   :o

Robin Doodson

« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2009, 06:33:26 AM »
Don't 1 and 18 on the old course share a fairway?

Bryan Izatt

« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2009, 10:47:10 AM »
Yes, but running opposite directions and without a nest of bunkers in the middle of the shared fairway.

TEPaul

« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2009, 11:45:57 AM »
"What happened to the Big World theory?    :o"

Bryan:

The what? The Big World what?? What does that mean and what idiot thought up that nonsense? Have you not noticed that this entire website has been accused of being massive suck-ups? Therefore, my new opinion on architecture is that if anything in architecture is any good it MUST be done precisely MY WAY! The opinions of other golfers simply don't matter and are completely inconsequential and irrelevent.

My old theory (The Big World Theory) is total bunkum! My new THEORY on golf course architecture will henceforth be known as "The Patrick Mucci Theory."

Kalen Braley

« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2009, 11:57:04 AM »
Here are the 9th and 18th holes at Spring Valley golf course in Milpitas, CA.

Kind of a similar theme going on here.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back