News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sean_A

Re: Architectural Suck-Ups
« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2009, 06:31:10 PM »
Charlie,

I think we all go through phases of interest and disinterest even if the discussion remains the same.  Many topics will eventually come round again if you stay long enough.  At least your design contest on a real site was different!  Many had proposed that over the years but none that I recall had pulled it off.

Now we have a mutual suck up club going on!

Brauer

You ain't got no time for sycophants.  You gotta hockey club on the ropes that needs some full time cheerin.

I will be at what I believe will be a crucial Canes - Rangers game on 2 April.  My bro-in-law is gonna get an earful for the Canes stretch run in April. 

I see the Wings are topping the table despite some awful results of late.  Though it helps when the fish and baby bears are in free fall - tee hee.

Ciao

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield & Alnmouth,

Michael Dugger

« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2009, 07:23:30 PM »
Certainly having the opportunity to "chat" with relative celebs is kinda cool.

I mean, jeez, we read about Tom Doak in golf magazines and stuff.  Dude was even on television a few times.

But "sucking up" surely isn't going to get you a gig as consulting designer on a project, hence what's the point?  Access seeking???  Being able to tell your friends you know architect X.

Naw, no sucking up Bogey....

What does it matter if the poor player can putt all the way from tee to green, provided that he has to zigzag so frequently that he takes six or seven putts to reach it?     --Alistair Mackenzie--

Tim Bert

« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2009, 07:59:44 PM »
I think there is some butt kissing that goes on here, but not by me.

I, unlike others, GENUINELY believe that Tom Doak walks on water, Mike DeVries poop smells better than others, and Mike Young can do no wrong.

Checks can be mailed to Hillbilly Golf Tour - care of Mike Hendren. 

Mike Hendren

« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2009, 09:11:52 AM »
With apologies to Charlie Daniels:

Jesus walked on water
And I know that is true.
Sometimes I think that ole Tom Doak
Would like to do a little walking to.

I ain't asking nobody for nothing
If I can't get it on my own.
If you don't like the way I'm living
Just leave this long haired country boy alone.

For those who don't know Tim, I can confirm that he believes that when he dies, he will go to Tom Doak's office.

I, on the other hand merely believe that Mr. Doak is an outstanding golf course architect - among the best working today.

Kindest regards,

Bogey
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Tim Bert

« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2009, 10:16:19 AM »

For those who don't know Tim, I can confirm that he believes that when he dies, he will go to Tom Doak's office.

I, on the other hand merely believe that Mr. Doak is an outstanding golf course architect - among the best working today.

Kindest regards,

Bogey

Please don't try to interpret the gospel when you don't understand it.  His office is where you go if you've been bad.  I would hope for Pacific Dunes if I've led a respectable life.

TEPaul

« Reply #30 on: March 19, 2009, 10:44:01 AM »
"Many topics will eventually come round again if you stay long enough."

My Dear Mr. Jeffrey Brauer:

Isn't that the truth? They come round again and again and again. Over about a decade how many laps do you think we've done on here?

I think the time has come again for about five new twenty page threads on Merion, don't you?

Charlie Goerges

« Reply #31 on: March 19, 2009, 10:56:43 AM »
In all seriousness TEP, without the veterans, archies, top-level players etc on this site, newbies like myself would never be able to learn about architecture in the specific ways that are possible with back and forth discussion.

Without youse guys...the sound of one hand clapping.
Severally on the occasion of everything that thou doest, pause and ask thyself, if death is a dreadful thing because it deprives thee of this. - Marcus Aurelius

Kalen Braley

« Reply #32 on: March 19, 2009, 11:10:23 AM »
Seeing how we are getting on to the religious side of things, my take is a little different.

I'm hoping the Hindus got it right and we get to come back all re-incarted....

I mean could it get any better than coming back as a squirrel and living in the tree just off the 10th fairway at Kingsley?
Or how about a sea lion and bask on the shores/beaches of Cypress Point.
Or just to make sure I get the suck-up angle going, how about being Tom Doaks pet dog and get to walk the sites with him...what a life would that be!!   ;D

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #33 on: March 19, 2009, 11:23:44 AM »
"Many topics will eventually come round again if you stay long enough."

My Dear Mr. Jeffrey Brauer:

Isn't that the truth? They come round again and again and again. Over about a decade how many laps do you think we've done on here?

I think the time has come again for about five new twenty page threads on Merion, don't you?

To the esteemed Mr. Paul,

In my humble opinion, we need another Merion thread about when Halley's Comet arrives.   ;)Of course, your opinion may vary.  I figured we would get one when someone posted Merion as one of HH Barker's best courses in the "4 Best Thread" but luckily, no one has brought out a sense of humor quite that perverted.

In the meantime, we seem to be re-treading on the oft discussed topics of Bell bunkers and the lost state of some of California's best cousres.  In truth, even this suck up thread could be considered a re-tread (or is that re-thread?) of just what goes on here every day.  Someone just thought to put it all together in one place for our convenience.

At times, this place reminds me of the old joke about telling jokes in prison.  One prisoner shouts out "Number 73" and everyone laughgs.  A new guy asks whats going on and is told they have heard all the jokes so they just number them (kind of like most gca's do green design, I suppose)  So, he shouts out "No. 109" but no one laughs.  His table mate tells him that he just can't tell a good joke!

I hope all is well in Paul clan, and for that matter, the Paul Cowley clan.

Best Regards,

Jeffrey D. Brauer, esq.
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Anthony Gray

« Reply #34 on: March 19, 2009, 11:32:32 AM »

Tom Paul,

No. 37

Anthony

TEPaul

« Reply #35 on: March 19, 2009, 11:35:20 AM »
Mr Brauer, Esq:

Just look at what Mr. Charlie Goerges said just above!

You do realize, do you not, Mr. Brauer, that you are considered to be one of the world's primary Golf Architecture mentors and experts? And therefore, as each new class enters your classroom on here you must act with them, even if you have been over it all before so many times, that is just the most fun, most exciting and fresh subject imaginable.

In that vein----did H.H. Barker actually design Merion East?!?!?

That is truly amazing. If I ever knew that I must have forgotten it.

TEPaul

« Reply #36 on: March 19, 2009, 12:10:31 PM »
Mr. Charlie Goerges:

Let me ask you something. Are you absolutely certain you are spelling your last name correctly? Shouldn't it be Georges? But if not, how do you pronounce Goerges? Would it be like "gorgeous" and if so could you explain why that is? Is your family's gene pool like right out of Hollywood Central Casting or something?

Charlie Goerges

« Reply #37 on: March 19, 2009, 12:17:46 PM »
"Is your family's gene pool like right out of Hollywood Central Casting or something?"

More like Central Booking!
Severally on the occasion of everything that thou doest, pause and ask thyself, if death is a dreadful thing because it deprives thee of this. - Marcus Aurelius

Charlie Goerges

« Reply #38 on: March 19, 2009, 12:29:24 PM »
Regarding my name (I remember posting something about it before, does 'UMLAUT' ring any bells?), we pronounce it GORE-guess.

The etymology of it can be explained with a Haiku:

It once was Görges

English hasn't got umlauts

Now it is Goerges

TEPaul

« Reply #39 on: March 19, 2009, 12:48:52 PM »
Charlie:

I'd appreciate it if you would refrain from using dirty words on here like umlaut and haiku. This is a family website, you know!?

Charlie Goerges

« Reply #40 on: March 19, 2009, 12:58:19 PM »
awww shit, I'm sorry!

;D

PCCraig

« Reply #41 on: March 19, 2009, 12:59:00 PM »
The one time I shook Tom Fazio's hand I made sure not to wash it for a week.  :)

Obviously if a Tom Doak or even Fazio walked in the door and wanted to talk GCA would come up (even though I'm sure the subject would change eventually for me). It would be the same thing if you were a basketball fan and Mike Jordan or Mike Ditka wanted to chat...what else would you talk about (other than golf)?
H.P.S.

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #42 on: March 19, 2009, 01:04:55 PM »
You could ask Ditka for putter tossing tips......
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back