News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Charlie Goerges

(I am posting this for entrant 008, Andy Gray. He’s a university student from Sydney, Austrailia)

AGC –Allambie Golf Club Continued

Hole 10: Par 3, 197 yd

This par 3 is the longest on the course and plays uphill. The tee shot is played to a skyline green that sits in a broad saddle.

The green itself generally funnels toward the middle and is sloped back to front. The two short bunkers protect the slopes which feed balls toward the green.

The chipping area behind the green and the uphill nature of the hole are depicted here.

Hole 11: Par 4, 460 yd

In hindsight I would move the fairway further left away from hole 16 green and hole 17 tee, creating a larger dogleg at the same time. Note the hill in front of the green was envisioned as being smaller than it is. I would keep that feature but reduce its size slightly, and move the green slightly left to open it to the fairway.

The fairway is wide with hills feeding balls toward the centre.

From the left the approach is slightly longer but the green is more open, with the greenside hill having less impact from this angle.

From the right the approach is shorter but blind, and also brings the hill in to play at the green site.

The green is bunkerless due to the great feature which fronts the right side. Again the green would be shifted slightly left, and the hill made smaller.

Hole 12: Par 5, 506 yd

The tee shot for this short par 5 is played downhill into a valley which turns to the right. The hill on the right guards the short route home.

The 2nd shot is blind over a small ridge and some bunkers or the left. From short of the centre bunker.

And after clearing the right side hill, the 2nd shot from the fairway bowl.

The green is best approached from the right where a lone bunker guards.

And the less desirable approach from the left.

The green is angled slightly left and generally runs away from the player, placing a premium on pitch shots and long approaches from the 1st LZ.

Hole 13: Par 4, 428 yd

The preferred approach to the green is from the right side. The hole bends right, but the fairway slopes right to left, so a faded tee shot is preferred.

The approach from the left must challenge the left green side bunkers.

From the right the green is open in front.

The green itself sits atop a hill, with bunkers guarding the left, and fall offs to the right and behind. There would be some flattening of the contours around the green.

Hole 14: Par 4, 321 yd

There is a drop off left of the fairway which needs to be challenged for best angle to green.

The approach from the right is tricky.

From the left the green opens up.

The green itself is angled severely to the right, and is well protected by bunkers and fall offs.

Hole 15: Par 4, 439 yd

The tee shot is downhill to a fairway which slopes right to left.

The approach from the right opens up the green but brings the short bunker into play.

From the left the greenside bunkers come into play.

The bunker short of the green protects the slope feeding into the green. The green runs away from the player and to the left.

Hole 16: Par 3, 159 yd

The tee shot is played across the ponds to a green which sits at the base of a hill.

The green itself is about 10 yd from the pond, however very poor shots will be penalised. Players are encouraged to play over the right bunker to feed balls back into the green from the hill, instead of challenging the pond.

Hole 17: Par 5, 509 yd

This is my favourite par 5 and one of my favourite greens. Originally the hole went beyond the hill and turned slightly left, but at the last minute I decided to make the hole reachable with the hill providing some of the most interesting shots on the course. I envision many random events occurring due to the hill, and interesting uses of the hill in recovery shots and approach shots.

The tee shot is to a wide fairway with centerline bunkers.

The 2nd shot can be played safe, short of the cross bunkers, or aggressively carrying the bunkers, while using the hill left of the green to feed balls into the green.

An approach from the left opens up the right side of the green, while the hill blocks the left side of the green.

From the right the left side of the green is open.

The green wraps around the hill on the left, which is maintained as short grass. Bunkers guard the right side, while the hill provides vexing recovery shots, and interesting prospects for various approach shots.

Hole 18: Par 4, 443 yd

The tee shot is downhill to a fairway with a plateau right and a drop off left. A ball that travels past the plateau receives a boost toward the green.

The approach from the left leaves a carry over the left bunkers.

From the right the green is opened up.

The green, in contrast to the 17th, is a low profile green which hugs the ground and is protected by bunkers on all sides.

(Note from Charlie; Andy, I’ll probably try to  post a few updated images here using a narrower field of view which offers a foreshortened perspective making it easier to see the things close and far away a bit better.)
« Last Edit: March 18, 2009, 11:38:00 AM by Charlie Goerges »
Severally on the occasion of everything that thou doest, pause and ask thyself, if death is a dreadful thing because it deprives thee of this. - Marcus Aurelius

Yannick Pilon

Re: Allambie Golf Club (Armchair Architecture Contest course) Part 2
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2009, 12:48:14 PM »
Nice work Andy.

I just mentioned this on another thread, but your design was my favourite.  I think you clearly demonstrated your ability at reading maps and at creating holes that naturaly fit the land.

I still wonder about the three uphill and blind tee shots on the front nine, but the rest was simply too interesting to ignore, IMHO.  I hope Charlie sent you my comments. This was a great effort.

By the way, what are you studying?

Cheers,

YP
www.yannickpilongolf.com - Golf Course Architecture, Quebec, Canada

Charlie Goerges

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2009, 09:25:10 PM »
Yannick, Andy read your comments and emailed me this to post. (I haven't sent any of the entrants their comments yet because I'm waiting for the judges to be all-in)

"Thankyou very much for the kind words. I really enjoyed the exercise as I have been drawing golf courses on paper for a majority of my life (I think I started when I was about 6, I am now 22).

The blind uphill drives were not really expected. On my hand drawn map it looked like the drives skirted the hills on holes 7 and 9, and I did not expect the 2nd drive to look the way it did. Also I am not used to using feet, down here we use mmeasurements that make sense ;). So I did not visualise the size of these contours accurately. Once I had draped the holes it was too late to make changes. I don't mind blind shots but these were severe.

Changes I would make would be to find a higher teeing area for hole 2 (that is all teeing areas), or raise them slightly so the general outline of the fairway may be seen from the tee. For 7 I would move the tee closer to 6, while moving it further toward the hole, to try to make the hill on more of an angle than an up and over, still with the element of blindness, but not so severe. For 9 I would do the same, move the tee to the right of where it currently is.

I study Civil Engineering at the University of Sydney, currently 3rd year. When I finish my next goal is to travel the world, then hopefully get into golf course design somehow.

Thanks again, I look forward to more comments.

Andy"
Severally on the occasion of everything that thou doest, pause and ask thyself, if death is a dreadful thing because it deprives thee of this. - Marcus Aurelius

Jim Colton

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2009, 09:34:55 PM »
Andy,

Excellent job.  I really like your par 3's and your 12-14 stretch.

Jim

Kyle Harris

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2009, 09:35:36 PM »
Why isn't Andy on GCA?

Charlie Goerges

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2009, 09:43:49 PM »
I think he will be soon Kyle, I'm in contact with him about it.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back