News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Deucie Bies

Tavistock Cup
« on: March 17, 2009, 10:33:48 AM »
Is anyone attending?  PM please if you are and want to meet up.  Thanks.

Joe Bausch

Re: Tavistock Cup
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2009, 11:16:23 AM »
I would love to be able to attend, but cannot.  But I did make a photo album of Lake Nona from my visit there about this time last year.

http://darwin.chem.villanova.edu/~bausch/images/Lake_Nona/index.html
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

PCCraig

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2009, 11:37:57 AM »
Does anyone know anything about Lake Nona? Is it a good golf course? It looks ok on TV but that isn't always the best example.
H.P.S.

tlavin

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2009, 11:54:07 AM »
Does anyone know anything about Lake Nona? Is it a good golf course? It looks ok on TV but that isn't always the best example.

Great golf course on an interesting, but generally flat, piece of property.  A lot of wetland looks.  If you play it from the back tees, it's all you can handle.  One of the fun things they do is they have a members course that consists of a combination of the back tees and the middle tees.  In general, they play the par 3's longer and they don't kill you with length on the par 4's.  Outstanding practice facility and a fun membership.

Joe Bausch

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2009, 12:36:22 PM »

I've played it a few times now and just love the par 5's.  Take a peek at my photo album above with commentary added to each pic.

Oh, and Pat, if you see my Titleist ProV1x #3 in Annika's yard on the 16th hole, can you sneak in and pick it up for me?  I blocked a drive badly there and, well, I didn't wander in to get it.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2009, 12:38:16 PM by Joe Bausch »

Deucie Bies

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2009, 02:53:25 PM »
Great membership! Joe, who do you play with down here?

PCCraig

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2009, 03:10:32 PM »
I would love to be able to attend, but cannot.  But I did make a photo album of Lake Nona from my visit there about this time last year.

http://darwin.chem.villanova.edu/~bausch/images/Lake_Nona/index.html

Nice pictures...I love the beach bunkers!!!  :)

H.P.S.

John Keenan

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2009, 03:58:10 PM »
I watched a few minutes of it on the GC and it does seem like the participants are having a good time out there. I thought this was a fun event. Looks more like a typical day on the PGA. 
The things a man has heard and seen are threads of life, and if he pulls them carefully from the confused distaff of memory, any who will can weave them into whatever garments of belief please them best.

Deucie Bies

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2009, 06:30:55 AM »
The event and weather were awesome this year. 

The course is a Fazio course that is very enjoyable to play day in and day out.  I wish there was a bit more variation with the length of the par 3s.  We used to play a mix of white tees and the tips (if I remember correctly, we played the tips on all holes except the 5 longest par 4s which are 3, 7, 10, 16 and 18).  The current blue tees were added which is the set of tees that Joe was referring to and the distance is somewhere around 6700 yards, but plays longer since the course plays slow.

PCCraig

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2009, 07:50:11 AM »
One thing I notced is that guys kept missing it on the short side of the green and on their pitches/chips back they would leave those short trying to get close to the pin. I must of seen 5 of those over the two days.
H.P.S.

Joe Bausch

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2009, 08:24:46 AM »
Frustrating as heck that TGC does not think it is worthy to broadcast this event in HD (at least they are shooting it in 16x9 SD and upverting it).

Greg Holland

« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2009, 09:59:43 AM »
Frustrating as heck that TGC does not think it is worthy to broadcast this event in HD (at least they are shooting it in 16x9 SD and upverting it).

Does the GC do this on most of their "HD" broadcasts?  The GC "HD" is significantly worse than the other HD channels I have.

In fact, last night my 9 year old walked in while I was watching a few minutes of it and said why aren't you watching it in HD (even though it was on the HD channel).

Joe Bausch

« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2009, 10:05:36 AM »

Does the GC do this on most of their "HD" broadcasts?  The GC "HD" is significantly worse than the other HD channels I have.

In fact, last night my 9 year old walked in while I was watching a few minutes of it and said why aren't you watching it in HD (even though it was on the HD channel).

On many of their broadcasts, yes, they aren't in HD.  I think many of the Champions Tour and LPGA events are simply upverted 16x9 SD pictures.

When they broadcast the Th and Fr rounds of a PGA tourney, those are in HD (I'm assuming they are just using the cameras and transmission equipment provided by NBC, ABC, or CBS).

Chuck Brown

« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2009, 10:50:08 AM »
I was wondering if I was the only one yelling at my television set, "Hey, guys, turn off the water down there!"  Even more than in past years, it appeared that Lake Nona and Isleworth were egregiously over-watered.  Did they have a hurricane that I missed?

Oh, and for the most unfortunate comment of the year, in the recession year of 2009, was Frank Nobilo's howler about how the memberships at the two clubs really got into the spirit of the event, even directing their gardeners (pronounced gahdnuhs) to spruce things up 'special for the two days...

Deucie Bies

« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2009, 11:16:19 AM »
No Chuck, you aren't the only one.  The course has been and is very soft due to lots of watering.

Greg McMullin

« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2009, 05:42:35 PM »
I had the good fortune to attend the 2 day event and can confirm that the course is VERY soft. Walking the fairways feels like you are walking on plush Saxony carpet with a very soft under pad. There was almost no roll on any of the tee shots.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back