News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Adam Clayman

"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Carl Nichols

Re: Chicago's Newest Upscale (Tribune article 3/16/09)
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2009, 11:33:24 PM »
Although I consider myself to have an open mind (see other thread going on right now), my first reaction was that $125K is steep in the current climate for an Arthur Hills course. 

NB:  I'm a member of a club w/ a course that was renovated by Arthur Hills.

PCCraig

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2009, 07:50:14 AM »
Anyone mind posting a copy of the article on here? For some reason the Trib's website is acting funny for me.

This is interesting for me as there just hasn't been a big course opening in Chicago for at least seven years or so. Also because it is $125K to join a club built on a landfill, next to 294, and on the southwest side of town. Interesting that the website notes that the top 2 membership levels are already sold out.

The course is going to be 7500+ from the tips. There are construction photos posted on the web, looks like the course will have cool views of the skyline.
H.P.S.

PCCraig

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2009, 08:53:09 AM »
Ok I read the article...

A couple quotes that stood out;

When talking about if the recession will have an effect on membership sales...  "We have a location," Baxter said, "that's ridiculous."

And of how good the location is...   "I live in Hinsdale, so all I have to do is give a guy 20 bucks to take me home when I'm drunk," joked Tom McCleary, a Chicago Highlands founding member.
H.P.S.

Adam Clayman

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2009, 09:17:05 AM »
It's an interesting position to keep the upscale up in what the markets are telling us is a downturn. Perhaps it's better than deep discounting evaporating any chance at keeping an aura of specialness.

I recall seeing McMansions built near the 294, in this general area, back in the early 90's. It never registered as a good location, but, as I've come to realize a fool and his his money were lucky enough to get together in the first place.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

K. Krahenbuhl

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2009, 09:50:44 AM »
This was definitely a good location for the club to build.  There is lots of nearby money and not an available family club in the area.  Not sure how you could say that Oak Brook and Hinsdale is not a good location.

PCCraig

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2009, 03:16:46 PM »
Doesn't it seem like there is a LOT of capital expenditures going into this place? Do they really need an indoor ice rink??? Seems like they went a bit overboard with the whole family experience.

Random question. I thought this was built on a landfill. How could the church be saving this for a cemetary??
H.P.S.

Mark Smolens

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2009, 06:20:46 PM »
Pat, I can't think of a better place for a cemetary -- the largest waste of land known to man.  Sprinkle my ashes on a golf course.

I had my trainer make inquiries about setting up some kind of golf-specific fitness program at their facility.  He was less than impressed with the organizational response.  Seems like a lot of dough, tho other courses in the area get as much as more. . .

Jason McNamara

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2009, 06:37:59 PM »
The crowd here will like this quote also:

"[The founder] says he has four holes-in-one, two of which came on mulligans."

...which I think is another way of saying he's had two holes-in-one.

Jim Colton

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2009, 08:36:59 PM »
The crowd here will like this quote also:

"[The founder] says he has four holes-in-one, two of which came on mulligans."

...which I think is another way of saying he's had two holes-in-one.

Exactly.  I don't know if I sign over a check for $125k to a guy who counts a mulligan as a hole-in-one.

jeffwarne

« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2009, 08:46:03 PM »
the bowling alley sounds nice
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

PCCraig

« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2009, 08:58:48 PM »
I wonder if they can fit a bobsled down the waterslide during the winter, because that is the only thing they are missing!
H.P.S.

J_ Crisham

« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2009, 09:02:56 PM »
I have a good friend who has joined and I've seen some pictures of the layout that look quite nice. I think this is an area where there has been long waiting lists.  It has the potential to steal away members from other clubs due to immediate availability. Very easy area to get to from any direction as well.  Hope to get out there to play when it opens later this summer.                       Jack  

PCCraig

« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2009, 07:56:47 AM »
I have a good friend who has joined and I've seen some pictures of the layout that look quite nice. I think this is an area where there has been long waiting lists.  It has the potential to steal away members from other clubs due to immediate availability. Very easy area to get to from any direction as well.  Hope to get out there to play when it opens later this summer.                       Jack  

Jack-

I thought I heard or read that only 9 holes will be open this year, with 9 coming next year?
H.P.S.

tlavin

« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2009, 10:48:17 AM »
They will be happy if they open nine holes this year.  The real problem they have is that they need another 100 or so members before they'll have enough money to build the clubhouse and the rest of the structures.  Methinks they might not get there for a few years...

PCCraig

« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2009, 12:27:34 PM »
They will be happy if they open nine holes this year.  The real problem they have is that they need another 100 or so members before they'll have enough money to build the clubhouse and the rest of the structures.  Methinks they might not get there for a few years...

Do they also need another 100 members paying monthly dues to cover their debt service as well?
H.P.S.

Chuck Brown

« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2009, 01:32:59 PM »
It seems weirdly reminscent of another recent Art Hills design, Shepherd's Hollow, north of Detroit.  Both courses were built on Archdiocesan land.  Shpherd's Hollow is an upscale daily fee course, and one of the better-executed designs in that genre in terms of a nice and functional clubhouse, plenty of holes, room to move around, nice amenities, etc.  When I first began to read, I thought this new Chicago suburb deal would be the same, but I see it is a true private club.  (With lots of Diocesan fundraiser outings, no doubt.)

Who knows; maybe the Catholic Church will be the new American Golf Corp.?

Paul OConnor

« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2009, 01:44:36 PM »
Here's their website, lots of course pictures.  

http://www.chicagohighlands.com

Reminds me a little of Harborside.  Same "built on a dump" motif.  Seems like it's gonna be windy, hot and dusty in August on top of that hill.

Regarding location, unless you live close, Oak Brook Hinsdale, etc, this is not really an easy place to get to.  294 is a parking lot most of the summer, and getting out there from the city is a long drive.  Getting back downtown on a friday evening will take a couple hours easily.  

Difficult to imagine anyone from the North Shore going out there.  Just as easy to get to Conway.  No ice rink or bowling alley mind you, but great practice facilities and teriffic course.  Pretty sure Judge Smails is not a member there either.

Not sure there are 150 families in the area who don't already belong somewhere else ready to plunk down the $125k.  To play nine holes for a year or two at a club with no clubhouse.  

My guess is there are 10 better options in Chicago for private golf today.  JMO.

J_ Crisham

« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2009, 10:02:14 PM »

Jack-

I thought I heard or read that only 9 holes will be open this year, with 9 coming next year?
Pat,   July 1st for 9 and hopefully Oct 1st for the completion of the course. This is their plan so far . No doubt they could use some more members. May be slow for a couple of years.    Jack   

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back