News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John Kirk

What's The Best Course/Club in Charlotte?
« on: March 15, 2009, 07:37:42 PM »
I have a friend who's moving to Charlotte, North Carlona.  He wants input on the best club/course in town.  Your comments are appreciated.

David Schmiel

Re: What's The Best Course/Club in Charlotte?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2009, 08:01:45 PM »
I have a friend who's moving to Charlotte, North Carlona.  He wants input on the best club/course in town.  Your comments are appreciated.

Just based on notoriety, Quail Hollow, the host club for the Wachovia Championship (or whatever it is they're calling it this year), is the "best" course.  Purists and others who know the area better might have a more informed opinion though. 

Tom_Doak

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2009, 08:10:30 PM »
I would say Charlotte Country Club is the best course in town, provided they have finally stopped restoring the golf course and settled on the latest incarnation.  But I haven't seen Quail Hollow.

Bart Bradley

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2009, 08:17:00 PM »
http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,37123.0.html

Carolina GC looks pretty cool after the renovation/restoration.

Bart

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2009, 09:23:40 PM »
Carolina does look great.

No idea of best club / course.  Here's my 2c on one.

Quail Hollow is a very interesting course.  It is not in the same league as the world's best strategic courses, but it is a strategic design. Many of the par 4s are doglegged, and like Winged Foot West but unlike Burning Tree, the holes don't bend predominantly to one side.

Additionally, the greens are very large, with an odd (Fazio) exception, combining with the angles to reward positioning yet not overtly penalizing the off-line shot.  (The size of the greens and the width of the playing corridors ensure the club golfer will have a way around if he is not seeking a score.)

While the timing of its construction suggests ANGC-envy, the surprising result is a course that tests the pros while providing everyday member enjoyment.  It's a nice walk and not boring.

All in all, a very good parkland course.  I think a hard-core golfer would enjoy it very much indeed.  I played it right after Grandfather and preferred it.

Mark

paul cowley

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2009, 09:36:48 PM »
Diamante Dunes in Cabo San Lucas.
paul cowley...golf course architect/asgca

Tom_Doak

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2009, 09:42:08 PM »
Feeling okay, Paul ?  ???

paul cowley

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2009, 09:52:10 PM »
I'm just fine Tom....really....thanks for asking.

Sometimes boys just got to have fun.  :)

Actually the course is fixing to finally get me a track hoe to tear it up and rough finish it like it needs, along with a finish crew, courtesy of Denmark!

Hope all is well with you and yours too.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2009, 09:52:58 PM »
Glad to hear it, but what's it got to do with Charlotte?

paul cowley

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2009, 10:02:19 PM »
Oh...damn...I mis read the thread. I thought it said the best course in Cabo San Lucas......not Charlotte San Lucas!

My bad.  ::)

mark chalfant

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2009, 12:52:35 PM »
John,

I have not played Myers Park CC. Its in a lovely  section of Charlotte. I've been told the course has nice rolling terrain. It was routed by Ross. I believe Bobby  Weed may have done some restoration work after a certain "Open Doctor" (malpractice division) did some unartisitic "improvements" at Myers Park. It may not be as good a course as CCC but overall this country club is  probably worth looking  into .

Mark
« Last Edit: March 16, 2009, 12:57:52 PM by mark chalfant »

Sam Maryland

« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2009, 02:15:20 PM »
These should be on the list:

Myers Park CC
Charlotte CC
Quail Hollow CC
Carmel CC
Carolina GC

Each has it's own distinguishing characteristics with MPCC, CCC and CGC all having been reno'd recently.  These are the "old-line" clubs in town.  There are certainly others to consider as well.

With what has happened to the banks I'm sure almost every club in Charlotte is quite eager to meet potential new candidates for membership.

Jason Topp

« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2009, 02:35:36 PM »
I really enjoyed playing Charlotte CC with Art Roselle.  It seemed like a terrific club.

http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,34170.0.html 

Carl Johnson

« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2009, 03:56:44 PM »
These should be on the list:

Myers Park CC
Charlotte CC
Quail Hollow CC
Carmel CC
Carolina GC

Each has it's own distinguishing characteristics with MPCC, CCC and CGC all having been reno'd recently.  These are the "old-line" clubs in town.  There are certainly others to consider as well.

With what has happened to the banks I'm sure almost every club in Charlotte is quite eager to meet potential new candidates for membership.

I think Sam has it right.  I am long-time resident of Charlotte, a 15 year or so member at Carolina GC, and have played each of these five courses except Quail Hollow, which, of course, I've walked during the erstwhile Wachovia Championship (and before that and before its last renovation, the Kemper).

As Sam points out, there are substantial differences between these clubs.  All are full service country clubs except Carolina (Quail may not have tennis courts--I don't recall), which is a golf club with a swimming pool.  If all you're interested in is golf and a place for your kids to swim, take a look at Carolina.  Of the five it's the least expensive.  Current initiation (nonequity) is $22,000 for full adult resident.  Quail has to be the the most expensive.  Charlotte CC used to be the "old money" club and difficult to get into.  That's changing somewhat, but notwithstanding the economy I understand they still have a substantial waiting list.  Initiation there is $72,000, I believe.  Carmel has two courses.  I'd put Myers Park at number two on the "old money" list, right behind Charlotte CC.

All of these clubs have very respectable courses.  Traditionally, Charlotte CC, Myers Park and Quail Hollow have been considered the best courses locally.  Carolina's recent redo puts in right up there, and Carmel's top course hosted the USGA Junior Girls a couple of years ago.  Personally, I would find it difficult to say that any one of these course/clubs is the "best."  Clearly, Carolina GC is the best for me, but all I'm interested in is a golf course.  John, make sure your friend takes a good look around.  Tell him to take his time.  That will be worth it.

Matt_Ward

« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2009, 06:25:22 PM »
John K:

Concur w Tom D -- but I would say this -- Quail Hollow and Charlotte are sort of the Shinnecock and National of there respective area. Now, before people start running to the computer and thinking I am labeling the NC courses at the same level as the NY counterparts -- that's not the case.

Charlotte is a quintessential old school design with plenty of architectural elements worthy to see -- provided they have left well enough alone since my last time there.

Quail Hollow is a tournament caliber layout meant to really test the top tier level of players.

Anyone playing either or the two should be quite thrilled with the time spent.

Myers Park is also a good call but I see it just behind the two mentioned above.

Paul Jones

« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2009, 09:17:20 PM »
I would move closer to Old Town Club...
Paul Jones
pauljones@live.com

John Kirk

« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2009, 09:28:43 PM »
Thanks for all the input.  Very informative.

Sam Maryland

« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2009, 11:10:57 PM »
John K:

Concur w Tom D -- but I would say this -- Quail Hollow and Charlotte are sort of the Shinnecock and National of there respective area. Now, before people start running to the computer and thinking I am labeling the NC courses at the same level as the NY counterparts -- that's not the case.

Charlotte is a quintessential old school design with plenty of architectural elements worthy to see -- provided they have left well enough alone since my last time there.

Quail Hollow is a tournament caliber layout meant to really test the top tier level of players.

Anyone playing either or the two should be quite thrilled with the time spent.

Myers Park is also a good call but I see it just behind the two mentioned above.

If there's one thing CCC doesn't know how to do, it's "leave well enough alone".  And you can put MPCC squarely in that category too.

The main thing CCC and Quail have over MPCC is the luxury of lots of space.  MPCC relinquished control of a 3rd nine a long long time ago and in hindsight it was a mistake.

Fun fact, one of Lord Byron's streak of 11 in a row was at none other than Myers Park CC!

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2009, 12:20:38 AM »
Is this like Quarterbacks? When there are several so called good ones and none stand out then you really do not have a starter you can win with. It sounds like Charlotte is the one place in NC with no starter John Kirk.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back