News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Charlie Goerges

DSGC (Armchair Architecture course tour #2)
« on: March 15, 2009, 08:41:41 PM »
I’m posting this for Dave Stringer (DSGC=Dave Stringer Golf Club), a Non-GCA member who submitted an entry. First the aerial image then the descriptions. (EDIT: This isn't an 18 hole tour, I only asked for a few holes' description, but if you're reading this Dave and would like to add to it just let me know.)

Hole #2   Par 4  Back Tee: 450yards  Middle Tee: 420yards

View from behind the tee:

Description:

From the tee, the fairway takes a sudden drop into the large landing area. A small pot bunker sits in the fairway (meant to be seen from the tee). "Target" style green guarded by bunkers sits left, beyond the water.

Options:

Safe tee shot would be right of the fairway pot bunker, but leaves a longer iron into the green (assuming you're not as good with your longer irons). You can Grip it and Rip it past the fairway pot, but that brings into play the rough and the two other pots. You can risk placing your tee shot left between the fairway pot and the water to leave a short iron to the green (assuming you're good with you're short irons). Whichever option off the tee you choose, If you don't hit your tee shot long enough, you will hit into a blind landing area; note the water angles towards the blind area. For the approach, the bunker guarding the front left of the green is far enough away from the green to "come up short", it's more for visual and mental effect as strategic placement. The golfer realizes the bunker shouldn't come into play unless they hit a poor shot, but that thought is now in their head as they make their approach shot. The more thoughts in a golfers head, the less likely they will be able to concentrate and focus on the shot at hand.

What I would do:

If I was a smart golfer, I would pick a yardage from the green I am comfortable with. I'm better with my 7 and 8 iron than I am with my wedges, and would manage that distance with respect to the fairway pot. Unfortunately, I'm not a smart golfer and I would Grip it and Rip it. I would hit a high fade(lefty) and try and place the ball just left and beyond the fairway pot. Most likely outcome: Aqua, but that's o.k., it's only the second hole, I still have golf balls left in my bag.

Hole #10   Par 4  Back Tee: 390yards  Middle Tee: 345yards

View from behind the Tee:

View from behind the green:

Description:

Short Par 4 that turns right at start of landing area and then drops at approach to a green that is tucked behind the hill on the right.

Options:

Safe play is to follow the fairway thru to the green by navigating the bunkers, hole is short enough to use less club (usually easier shots for most players).  The player may also choose to go for the green off the tee by cutting the corner over the right bunkers and make use of the hill to get a favourable kick onto the green. The risks of this shot: not long enough off the tee and land in the bunkers, long enough off the tee to clear the bunkers but receive an unfavourable kick off the hill and land every which way but near the green or roll across the green into the left greenside pot which will no doubt penalize.

What I would do:

Any time there is an opportunity to go for the green off the tee on a Par 4, Yea, I'll take it. Most Likely Outcome: If I'm really lucky... Eagle, If I'm realistic... Double Bogey...... I chip and putt like how the Detroit Red Wings would play without their European and Russian players. The foot wedge might come out.

Hole #17   550yards  Par 5

View from behind the Tee:

View from the dogleg to green:

Description:

UpHill, dog-leg left Par 5. Fairway lined bunkers with several pot bunkers placed within the fairway. The narrow approach to the green drops off significantly from left edge of the fairway cut which continues through the green. "False Front" on the left side of the green surface.

Options:

Safe shot would be to hit "easy" drive and not challenge the first group of bunkers and then lay-up before the narrow approach by navigating the fairway pots. To gain distance off the tee, the golfer may choose to cut the corner over the bunker to leave a favourable distance to challenge the green in two. If going for the green, any shot landing left of center on narrow approach or green will most likely roll or kick left into "X" territory. A better option could be to aim for the large bunker right of the green.

What I would do:

Being #17 and the last Par 5, this could be the last good chance to score birdie or even better. My goal on EVERY Par 5 is to score birdie or better. My success rate... 2%, so I have much room for improvement. I would challenge the corner and try and gain as much distance as possible. With a good lie I would go for the green. Most Likely Outcome: searching for my golf ball in "X" territory, and as usual, finding everyone else's ball but mine.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2009, 12:57:16 PM by Charlie Goerges »
Severally on the occasion of everything that thou doest, pause and ask thyself, if death is a dreadful thing because it deprives thee of this. - Marcus Aurelius

Garland Bayley

Re: DSGC (Armchair Architecture course tour #2)
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2009, 11:31:48 AM »
Hi Charlie,

It is really hard to find the holes on the routing (for an old man like me with terrible eyesight), because the hole numbers don't stand out there. Is there any easy way to fix this? Will there be more holes detailed?
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Charlie Goerges

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2009, 11:34:29 AM »
I'll fix the hole numbers on the routing. I don't think there will be more holes detailed unless Dave sends me more text. I could add just some images without commentary.
Severally on the occasion of everything that thou doest, pause and ask thyself, if death is a dreadful thing because it deprives thee of this. - Marcus Aurelius

Garland Bayley

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2009, 03:46:55 PM »
I really appreciate the use of water in this routing. On 12 it shows up, but teases you more like a burn would than the typical pond does. It is also used for the carry off of a perfect lie on 6. The water added on 2 is narrow and more missable for guys like me. If only it weren't for that pond guarding 16. ;)
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

RJ_Daley

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2009, 09:41:00 PM »
I like this one.  But I'd like to see more detail on topo data to see how well screened and safe the green on 13, tee shot from 14 to tees on 15 and tee shot 15 to tees on 14 are situated.  I also think that 18 'may' be a weaker hole than 9, and the nines might be better if reversed.  #9 is a beaut, and if I remember the topo from actually playing Erin Hills, 9 is wise to stay away from the severe downslope to the wetland-drink.  I also like how he has used the big ravines at 17 and 18, seemingly better than the actual architecture.  ***

*** obviously, you can't tell much from these sketchup drawings beyond a vague conceptual drawing, but I like Stringer's routing and concept. 

I gave up on the Sketch-up program very early on.  I'd rather have a decent topo and draw overlays with tracing paper.  I would like a good topo of Erin Hills however.  The terrain is obviously spectacular, and I would have enjoyed doing some drawings the old fashion way, with compass and rulers and such.  This wasn't my cup of tea... sorry.  :-\
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Charlie Goerges

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2009, 09:12:48 PM »
Okay, here is the big kahuna of tours. Dave, I didn't have time to add much more than hole numbers, I hope this gets the point across.

Hole #1    Par4  444yrds

Hole#2    Par4   450yrds

Hole#3    Par5   623yrds

Hole#4    Par4   426yrds

Hole#5    Par3    237yrds

Hole#6    Par4    448yrds

Hole#7    Par4    427yrds

Hole#8   Par3   248yrds

Hole#9   Par5   577yrds

Hole#10  Par4   390yrds

Hole#11  Par3   243yrds

Hole#12   Par4   486yrds

Hole#13   Par4    406yrds

Hole#14   Par4    385yrds

Hole#15   Par5    558yrds

Hole#16   Par3    180yrds

Hole#17   Par5   550yrds

Hole#18   Par4   390yrds

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back