News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Richard Choi

Re: (more?) proof that distance-finders save time
« Reply #50 on: June 30, 2009, 05:52:38 PM »
Range finders are farcical, used only by dorks or the anal retentive (not that there's anything wrong with that).   To me it's not a pace of play or integrity of the game issue.  The ONLY issue is whether one is willing to be a fool for a four hour period in public.

Bogey

Michael, now I am going to whip out my huge binocular style range finder in addition to my bright yellow brush tees for our next Chambers Bay match!!!

C. Squier

« Reply #51 on: June 30, 2009, 07:23:27 PM »
JVB - good post.  Having played the same course 100 times and knowing what club to hit without yardage aids isn't a talent, it's simply a matter of using past experience as a guide.  Playing a new course for the first time without aids and being successful (however that's measure is up to you) is a talent. 

I find it a bit odd to hear opinions stated as facts from those who have never (and would never) used a rangefinder to determine whether or not they speed up play.  Yes, if you've never used distance aids a la Melvyn, then it will slow you down because it's adding an extra step....like using a calculator to do math normally done in your head.  But if you rely on other distance aids, it absolutely speeds up play. 

If you can keep up, I don't care if you use the stars to chart your way around the course.  Just be ready to hit the ball when it's your turn.

Sean_A

« Reply #52 on: July 01, 2009, 04:32:01 AM »
Sean,

I've long stopped trying to find the rationality of some choices people make.  I used to play golf with a factory worker in Ohio who was the club pro's favorite customer.  According to the pro, it was only June and the guy was on his fourth set of new irons.  The guy had a hard time breaking 90, seldom took a lesson, practiced infrequently, but he loved his equipment and played several times each week.  Come to think of it, this chap is the profligate consumer our leaders long for today.

Lou

While I can't say these new gizmos break the rules, I have to question how folks don't think they fundamentally alter how the game is played.  This is where I disagree with AwsHuckster - the genie wasn't nearly as far out as when the USGA sanctioned these vile instruments.  When considering normal friendly games or even club matches, which is what, 95% of golf, being able to measure anywhere on the course from any point is VERY different from yardage markers in fairways.  It doesn't take a genius to figure out the potential advantage these guns offer.   Even with these obvious competitive advantages, the aspect of guns which bugs me the most is taking visual deception away from archies.  There is little point in being creative with the interplay between terrain and architectural features if a guy can just stand there and get the exact distance to cover the bunker or false front or etc etc etc.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield & Alnmouth,

JWinick

« Reply #53 on: July 01, 2009, 04:42:55 AM »
Sean,

If someone needs to know approximately how far they are from the green, they are going to walk it off by finding a yardage marker.   Walking off will give you a similar approximation.   However, it will save time if you've got the range finder.   

A rangefinder does not measure wind, elevation, or lie, so you still have to consider those factors.  I've played with and without rangefinders.   I think it's fun playing without them.  You can argue that you are especially penalized when you are signficantly off-line and you have to guess as to your distance.

But, if I'm playing a competitive match, I think they speed up play and provjde the same information you would get through other means.  I also don't see the difference if you and your opponent both have caddies.  If you're stuck with the beginner caddy and your opponent has a veteran, it certainly levels the playing field.

What I don't understand is how the use of a rangefinder by someone else inhibits your fun.   What inhibits my fun is when I'm stuck behind a group that takes forever.

Sean_A

« Reply #54 on: July 01, 2009, 05:28:25 AM »
Sean,

If someone needs to know approximately how far they are from the green, they are going to walk it off by finding a yardage marker.   Walking off will give you a similar approximation.   However, it will save time if you've got the range finder.  

A rangefinder does not measure wind, elevation, or lie, so you still have to consider those factors.  I've played with and without rangefinders.   I think it's fun playing without them.  You can argue that you are especially penalized when you are signficantly off-line and you have to guess as to your distance.

But, if I'm playing a competitive match, I think they speed up play and provjde the same information you would get through other means.  I also don't see the difference if you and your opponent both have caddies.  If you're stuck with the beginner caddy and your opponent has a veteran, it certainly levels the playing field.

What I don't understand is how the use of a rangefinder by someone else inhibits your fun.   What inhibits my fun is when I'm stuck behind a group that takes forever.

J

First, I would say that walking off yardages is as you say, an approximation to a certain predetermined point - often the centre of the green.  Many guys like myself don't walk yardages - we eye them up if a marker is available and often times even if they are available.  Second, I would say the gun can give exact distances to cover hazards and help greatly with visual deception such as dead ground.  Third, the gun gives distances when a player is hopelessly out of position.  Finally, guns may increase the speed of play in the right hands and only in the context of accepting yardage aids.  If we are talking about speed of play, it is my contention that the game would move faster if no aids were available.  So I don't buy speed of play argument in the least.  All that said, my biggest beef with guns is how they mitigate the effectiveness of architecture.I don't play many matches friendly or not with a caddy nor do I suspect the vast majority of golfers out there do.  The gun changes this scenario big time and is just another gizmo that gives folks a leg up if they are willing to PAY.  

I personally don't care about the guns from a competitive standpoint because I don't care if a guy gains what I believe to be an unfair advantage.  If I did, I would never play handicap golf.  I don't take the game seriously enough to worry about the latest howitzer driver or mechanical gizmo.  However, I can see the inherent problem with the proliferation of the next best thing and I fear it will lead to no good.  In fact, imo, it already has.  With carts, guns and howitzer drivers, where does it all end?  Mark my words, it hasn't ended yet.  There is more nonsense to come - Mr Creosote style. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BlK62rjQWLk

Ciao
« Last Edit: July 01, 2009, 06:42:57 AM by Sean Arble »

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #55 on: July 01, 2009, 06:27:41 AM »

No matter how serious you take golf, there is just no need for distance or yardage information. For me the Eyes have it every time with the added satisfaction that I did it using only my own God given abilities.

I love blind holes and playing at a different course that I have never seen before. None of this rubbish about knowing this rock or that sheep, it’s as it should be the course vs. the golfer with the weather thrown in as the potential joker. I need to walk these virgin courses to get the feel, hopefully try to understand plus see what is ahead planning how to get to the pin.

That for me is the only way to play The Game of Golf, any other form is just a weak imitation of the real thing and I wonder why players want to water down the original – could it be they can’t hack the real thing and need help in the form of distance aids. But then, that is their choice because of the inability of our own governing bodies to act in protecting the Game.

Melvyn

Cristian

« Reply #56 on: July 01, 2009, 07:30:13 AM »
Everybody on this board seems to be thinking on this subject parted in two groups:

1. Everything is allowed; rangefinders yardage markers etc

2. Nothing is allowed.

I do not agree. Why?

Rangefinders I am against, because they remove ALL skill in determining distance. Yardage markers are fine with me. As long as people are not allowed to walk back and forth to pace yardage, it does not cost extra time of course. And, certainly less time than opening your bag, taking out the rangefinder device, doing the measurement, putting it back in the bag, shouting the result to the rest of the flight etc. If you are playing in a cart that might be different, but if you are playing in a cart you are not playing golf anyway, you're playing cartball. Also consider this: we already need clubs, balls, tee's, glove, pencils, scorecards, pitch forks, do we really need to spend more money and carry more stuff onto the course with us? Why not carry a wind meter as well?

So, considering above, why am I against banning yardage markers? Everybody knows the yardages from bunkers, tree's etc on his home course by heart anyway, and probably on a few other courses as well. Taking away yardage markers would result in an unfair unnecessary large advantage to those knowledgeable on a course. In tournaments people would start making pre-visits to determine these distances, end result: everybody needs more time and hassle with the same end result. Yardage markers are OK!

« Last Edit: July 01, 2009, 07:46:30 AM by Cristian Willaert »

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #57 on: July 01, 2009, 07:52:51 AM »
Cristian

I would certainly support your proposal as the first step towards banning all forms of distance aids/markers. I do accept that it cannot be undone overnight, so with that in mind I would certainly agree with all of your post.

You never know we might once again be playing golf in the manner of the 19th Century - The real Golden Age of Modern Golf.

Melvyn

JWinick

« Reply #58 on: July 01, 2009, 08:04:03 AM »
Melyvn,

How do you know the 19th Century was the golden age?  It's a romantic concept, but what stops you from playing the game the way you want it to be played?

I still don't understand why it's necessary for you to impose your 19th century version of the game on everyone else.  No one is stopping you from playing with hickory sticks and avoiding technology.   

PCCraig

« Reply #59 on: July 01, 2009, 08:22:05 AM »
Cristian

I would certainly support your proposal as the first step towards banning all forms of distance aids/markers. I do accept that it cannot be undone overnight, so with that in mind I would certainly agree with all of your post.

You never know we might once again be playing golf in the manner of the 19th Century - The real Golden Age of Modern Golf.

Melvyn

Melvyn-

Do you also believe any sort of directional aid in golf should also be banned from golf?
H.P.S.

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #60 on: July 01, 2009, 08:59:10 AM »

Again, I will say that Golfers do not need yardage or distance aids to play golf. They have become an addiction as well as a distracting for certain golfer.

Again I will repeat that I am not against technology, but use it to protect and promote the modern game not send it off in a tangent. 

Let us reverse the rolls, why do you not take your artificial aids, carts and what ever else and start another associated game with a basic link to golf. Call it Cartgolf or TechnoGolf or what ever you want, just stop messing with the game of golf, stop trying to make it easy.

What stops me playing the course the way I want, let’s think, ah yes carts tracks, carts, distance markers, the feeling of being spied upon because someone who believes he is a golfer can judge distances. Then take into account those who do not behave on carts, the extra wear and tear to the course by carts and of course the pollution of those cart tracks, those distance freaks that shout or state the distance they are away from the pin interrupting the train of thought of other golfers. Finally and its just my little frustration is the pathetic little noise the modern clubs make on contact with the ball, no good solid sound but like a stone in a wheel hub or better described as a weak and wet handshake, no good to man or beastie

Trust the above answers your questions.

Melvyn 

Pat
Need to fully understand your question before I can answer

PCCraig

« Reply #61 on: July 01, 2009, 09:10:07 AM »
Pat
Need to fully understand your question before I can answer

Would you agree that any sort of unnatural aid that would benefit a golfer in addition to his natural golfing ability has no place in golf? Either in the form of distance information or directional aid?
« Last Edit: July 01, 2009, 09:22:28 AM by Pat Craig »
H.P.S.

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #62 on: July 01, 2009, 11:04:15 AM »

Pat

No, I don’t think I would agree, for the simple reason nothing is totally black or white and common sense needs to come into the equation.

I can’t talk for your courses or your golfers but we seem to find the way around ours with no major problem.

Debates are interesting on GCA.com, it seems that if you don’t like the opposing point of view, this site or should I say some of its members take a ridicules stance, not to debate but to try and mock the individual concerned and deride his opinions.

This is one of the few failings this site has, and one of the major reason it is in part a waste of time to try to debate what some consider important issues. Nevertheless, those concerned about the game and its future continue to persevere.

I expect you have grown up with carts, aids etc as normal, perhaps not but I certain have not. I do not want to force you or anyone to do anything. Play your game as you see fit, ride, walk, and swim, fly I do not care, but I do care about golf.

Take the piss, mock, talk nonsense, it will not make me look bad but it certainly will reflect upon you. You have made it abundantly clear that you have a problem of some sort with me, well Pat that’s your problem and not of my making.

In fact, I do not know why I am wasting my time with you when there are far more important people on this site who are or about to leave for similar reason. So please excuse me I want to try to keep Anthony at GCA.com.

In closing, I will be very please to help and assist you in most things - all I ask is some show of consideration from you. Nevertheless, that is down to you to prove that you are serious.

I hope this clears any misunderstanding you may have about me

Melvyn

PCCraig

« Reply #63 on: July 01, 2009, 11:18:24 AM »

Pat

No, I don’t think I would agree, for the simple reason nothing is totally black or white and common sense needs to come into the equation.

I can’t talk for your courses or your golfers but we seem to find the way around ours with no major problem.

Debates are interesting on GCA.com, it seems that if you don’t like the opposing point of view, this site or should I say some of its members take a ridicules stance, not to debate but to try and mock the individual concerned and deride his opinions.

This is one of the few failings this site has, and one of the major reason it is in part a waste of time to try to debate what some consider important issues. Nevertheless, those concerned about the game and its future continue to persevere.

I expect you have grown up with carts, aids etc as normal, perhaps not but I certain have not. I do not want to force you or anyone to do anything. Play your game as you see fit, ride, walk, and swim, fly I do not care, but I do care about golf.

Take the piss, mock, talk nonsense, it will not make me look bad but it certainly will reflect upon you. You have made it abundantly clear that you have a problem of some sort with me, well Pat that’s your problem and not of my making.

In fact, I do not know why I am wasting my time with you when there are far more important people on this site who are or about to leave for similar reason. So please excuse me I want to try to keep Anthony at GCA.com.

In closing, I will be very please to help and assist you in most things - all I ask is some show of consideration from you. Nevertheless, that is down to you to prove that you are serious.

Melvyn

Melvyn-

I'm not trying to "mock" your stance. I'm only asking that if you find that distance aids should not be used on a golf course, when why should directional devices be? Are they not just as important in the actual playing of the game?

So wouldn't you consider using a putting aid, for example, to make putts easier to read and execute as a way to make the game easier and therefore should not be allowed?

I'm only asking because I think that if you're not going to use the distance aids, you shouldn't probably be using directional aids either...correct?
H.P.S.

PCCraig

« Reply #64 on: July 02, 2009, 07:45:17 AM »

Pat

Melvyn

Melvyn-

I'm not trying to "mock" your stance. I'm only asking that if you find that distance aids should not be used on a golf course, when why should directional devices be? Are they not just as important in the actual playing of the game?

So wouldn't you consider using a putting aid, for example, to make putts easier to read and execute as a way to make the game easier and therefore should not be allowed?

I'm only asking because I think that if you're not going to use the distance aids, you shouldn't probably be using directional aids either...correct?

I'm still waiting for an answer Melvyn.
H.P.S.

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #65 on: July 02, 2009, 07:57:30 AM »

You will have a long wait ,Pat

Melvyn

PCCraig

« Reply #66 on: July 02, 2009, 08:13:45 AM »

You will have a long wait ,Pat

Melvyn

Then I will for you.

As seen below, this photo shows you using a putter which features an artificial aiming device that clearly gives the player a directional advantage toward the game of golf.

So if you can use directional devices, what makes distance devices any different? Either way in your world they should both be considered cheating.
H.P.S.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #67 on: July 02, 2009, 09:47:26 AM »
OK, so this argument is never going to end.  But my oh my, my friend Sean has seem to have gone astray -  at least as it pertains to how golf is played in the USA.  Perhaps you've been gone too long Sean?  Apologies in advance but this requires the Mucci.

FIRST, SOME CAVEATS HOWEVER:
a) I think the game would be better with no distance information at all.  I've explained this many times before.
b) I never use a bushnell or the like myself.  Approximations are fine by me.
c) I AM NOT SAYING ANY OF THESE ELECTRONIC DEVICES ARE A GOOD THING.  I AM SAYING THAT IN THE REALITIES OF USA GOLF - WITH COURSES OVER-MARKED AS IT IS, GPS ON CARTS EVERYWHERE - THEY HAVE BECOME A NECESSARY EVIL.

So...gotta take Sean's contentions point by point:

First, I would say that walking off yardages is as you say, an approximation to a certain predetermined point - often the centre of the green.  Many guys like myself don't walk yardages - we eye them up if a marker is available and often times even if they are available. As do I.  But you and I are far from the issue.  The vast majority of US golfers are indeed slaves to distance information and want it exact, and will do whatever it takes to get it.

Second, I would say the gun can give exact distances to cover hazards and help greatly with visual deception such as dead ground.
Ever hear of a yardage guide?  Satellite GPS on carts?  Each do the same thing.  Sorry Sean, the genie is out as much as you don't want to admit it...

Third, the gun gives distances when a player is hopelessly out of position.
Same answer - GPS on carts does the same thing.  And again, most golfers are such slaves to distance that when this happens, they will spend FOREVER trying to figure out a distance in the absence of GPS or other electronic device... thus meaning such save time in these instances.

Finally, guns may increase the speed of play in the right hands and only in the context of accepting yardage aids.  If we are talking about speed of play, it is my contention that the game would move faster if no aids were available.  So I don't buy speed of play argument in the least.
That's a very unrealistic view of things.  Yes the game would move faster if no aids were available - including the markings on the ground, yardage guides, bushes, poles, etc.  But that's not how it is here.  The vast vast majority of courses are clearly marked, or overmarked.  In this reality, electronic devices assist players in finding what they otherwise have to search for.  And damn near all are slaves to the information, so in the end, whether you buy it or not, the speed of play argument is correct.

All that said, my biggest beef with guns is how they mitigate the effectiveness of architecture.I don't play many matches friendly or not with a caddy nor do I suspect the vast majority of golfers out there do.  The gun changes this scenario big time and is just another gizmo that gives folks a leg up if they are willing to PAY. 

guns don't mitigate the effectiveness of the architecture Sean - the other distance information already available does so.  Guns just make it quicker to obtain.

Now change the reality to Scotland or the UK - where distance information is not so readily available - and the argument changes.  Thus I can understand Melyvn's take here and sympathize - he's never played here and really doesn't understand how it is.  But you have and do, Sean.  You ought to know better.

;)

Sean_A

« Reply #68 on: July 02, 2009, 10:13:44 AM »
OK, so this argument is never going to end.  But my oh my, my friend Sean has seem to have gone astray -  at least as it pertains to how golf is played in the USA.  Perhaps you've been gone too long Sean?  Apologies in advance but this requires the Mucci.

FIRST, SOME CAVEATS HOWEVER:
a) I think the game would be better with no distance information at all.  I've explained this many times before.
b) I never use a bushnell or the like myself.  Approximations are fine by me.
c) I AM NOT SAYING ANY OF THESE ELECTRONIC DEVICES ARE A GOOD THING.  I AM SAYING THAT IN THE REALITIES OF USA GOLF - WITH COURSES OVER-MARKED AS IT IS, GPS ON CARTS EVERYWHERE - THEY HAVE BECOME A NECESSARY EVIL.

So...gotta take Sean's contentions point by point:

First, I would say that walking off yardages is as you say, an approximation to a certain predetermined point - often the centre of the green.  Many guys like myself don't walk yardages - we eye them up if a marker is available and often times even if they are available. As do I.  But you and I are far from the issue.  The vast majority of US golfers are indeed slaves to distance information and want it exact, and will do whatever it takes to get it.

Second, I would say the gun can give exact distances to cover hazards and help greatly with visual deception such as dead ground.
Ever hear of a yardage guide?  Satellite GPS on carts?  Each do the same thing.  Sorry Sean, the genie is out as much as you don't want to admit it...

Third, the gun gives distances when a player is hopelessly out of position.
Same answer - GPS on carts does the same thing.  And again, most golfers are such slaves to distance that when this happens, they will spend FOREVER trying to figure out a distance in the absence of GPS or other electronic device... thus meaning such save time in these instances.

Finally, guns may increase the speed of play in the right hands and only in the context of accepting yardage aids.  If we are talking about speed of play, it is my contention that the game would move faster if no aids were available.  So I don't buy speed of play argument in the least.
That's a very unrealistic view of things.  Yes the game would move faster if no aids were available - including the markings on the ground, yardage guides, bushes, poles, etc.  But that's not how it is here.  The vast vast majority of courses are clearly marked, or overmarked.  In this reality, electronic devices assist players in finding what they otherwise have to search for.  And damn near all are slaves to the information, so in the end, whether you buy it or not, the speed of play argument is correct.

All that said, my biggest beef with guns is how they mitigate the effectiveness of architecture.I don't play many matches friendly or not with a caddy nor do I suspect the vast majority of golfers out there do.  The gun changes this scenario big time and is just another gizmo that gives folks a leg up if they are willing to PAY.  

guns don't mitigate the effectiveness of the architecture Sean - the other distance information already available does so.  Guns just make it quicker to obtain.

Now change the reality to Scotland or the UK - where distance information is not so readily available - and the argument changes.  Thus I can understand Melyvn's take here and sympathize - he's never played here and really doesn't understand how it is.  But you have and do, Sean.  You ought to know better.

;)

AwsHuckster

I disagree with you.  I must play with a different sort of golfer or at different sorts of courses.  Even on my odd foray into the high-end resort market (Pinehurst, Pineneedles & Kiawah) I didn't see charts or guns used.  That doesn't mean they weren't used, only that these devices aren't so readily used as you lead us to believe.  I have yet to see a yardage gun in the States.  I don't recall the last time I saw someone using a yardage chart in the States.  In fact, I have probably seen them less than a dozen times ever in the States.  I see these far more often in GB&I and they without any doubt in mind SLOW PLAY DOWN.  Of course, its difficult to get a yardage unless you are in the fairway.  I have yet to see a gps system in a cart used seriously. I recall seeing these years ago, but didn't pay much attention.  Granted, I don't play that much in the States these days, but I do get over for a game or two a year.  Finally, if you don't think getting exact yardage to and from any point on the course doesn't mitigate architecture, you don't think of architecture the way I do.  Judging from my experience, I would say the genie had only two arms out of the bottle for the average joe (thats you and me btw) and I guess all four limbs will be out now.  I hope golfers exercise some sort of sanity, but golfers aren't naturally among the more sane groups of people.

Ciao
« Last Edit: July 02, 2009, 10:18:54 AM by Sean Arble »

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #69 on: July 02, 2009, 10:48:51 AM »
Getting back to the original question - I am of the opinion that, if used properly and effectively, a Skycaddie definitely saves time.  I have played with one on my belt so as I am walking toward my ball I am looking at the hole location to determine which distances are important to me.  I arrive at my ball, look down at the Skycaddie for the yardage, select my club and hit my shot - no looking for a yardage marker or any other aid to determine my distance and I am immediately ready to play my shot.  If I am playing a tee shot at a new course I can simply look to determine how far it is to carry a fairway bunker, etc.  It may not be the "purist" way to play the game but it certainly speeds up play.  I should say that it is far more relevant when playing an aerial shot - if I am playing a shot along the ground the distance is not that important. 

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #70 on: July 02, 2009, 10:53:23 AM »
Sean:

You just responded to one part of this.  I am not at all surprised you saw few people using Bushnells or consulting yardage books (although if you played competitively - ie in tournaments - that would change quickly).  As for GPS in carts, you simply haven't been around here enough - they're everywhere.  In any case what you have seen in your limited forays to modern USA golf is really not the point... nor is the point what people are using... the point is this:

I would be SHOCKED if you saw many people play without consulting SOME FORM of distance information.  It's everywhere.  

And since one and all use it, it seems logical to me to give it to them in its quickest and simplest form.

Regarding this:
"Finally, if you don't think getting exact yardage to and from any point on the course doesn't mitigate architecture, you don't think of architecture the way I do. "
You miss the point again, or didn't read or understand my caveats.  I DO think it mitigates architecture to some extent.  However, I also think said information is readily available ANYWAY here... via GPS on cart, use of yardage guide, finding it from markers, etc.  And since it is available anyway and folks here are such slaves to distance - especially in competition - I am all for letting them have it quickly rather than waiting forever as they search for it.

As for the UK, hell yes it slows things down there, as folks there are not the slaves to distance info they are here.  But I said that already.

SO... I don't like the way things are.  I posted endlessly awhile back about how cool it would be to remove all distance info, and how it could be done (via rules change suggested by shivas).  I just got rather shouted down there, to the extent that now, it's that as Melvyn and I have endless debated already, he strives for change, I don't see that it's gonna happen, so I opt for making the best of how things are.  He likens me to Chamberlain, but that's OK.

;D

« Last Edit: July 02, 2009, 10:59:32 AM by Tom Huckaby »

Richard Choi

« Reply #71 on: July 02, 2009, 10:58:19 AM »
I don't care about "purity" of the game or whatever.

All I know is distance aids like lasers and GPS make people play faster. Things may be different in GB (I doubt it, at least in tournament conditions), but in US, all observational and statistical information says they make the rounds go faster.

That is enough for me. I wish USGA would endorse them even more.

C. Squier

« Reply #72 on: July 02, 2009, 11:09:24 AM »

I don't keep aggregate 18-hole score anymore, either.  I haven't for almost 10 years now. 

How do you measure yourself against other golfers?

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #73 on: July 02, 2009, 11:11:53 AM »

I don't keep aggregate 18-hole score anymore, either.  I haven't for almost 10 years now. 

How do you measure yourself against other golfers?

By height.

That was too easy.

;D

BTW I care about the purity of the game, but I also think it's gone forever here in the USA... so I am with Richard Choi for the most part.  I can't see any logic that denies that these devices speed how the game is played here.

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #74 on: July 02, 2009, 11:45:16 AM »
Pat

You just have no idea, common sense seems to evade you and you jump to conclusions with not an ounce of understand or proof.

You are what I consider…… well lets just leave it because you do not know me, understand me or my life.

The picture you see was at Tain when I attend to help launch the Old Tom Open and some of Tain’s new facilities.  The golf club in the photo was not mine but loaned to perform the first putt.

I have had to give up playing due to first a bad back and some rather serious problems with my thyroid, combination of both has had a devastating effect on being able to live a normal active life. Yet unlike you, I am happy to try to help others, to put out a hand of friendship first, to try to see the good in others, try to see the funny side of things. It makes no matter to me if my friends or acquaintances are the son or grandson of The Queen, Prime Minister, President, a sporting or business legend.  I take them for whom they are, not from whence they came. I have no preset ideas or opinions on them, I do not react like some little jealous communist who seem to believe they are privileged. Just what is your problem? Whatever it is, I would get it checked out before you do any self-harm or someone does it for you. Life is just too short to go around with that type of attitude. Get help Pat, I have with my illness and I am very slowly turning the corner trying to get back towards playing again.

Melvyn

Chamberlain, keep it cool you do not want to hurt that arm in case you have to wave another paper at AIDS carriers. Is it sore sitting on the fence with feet in both camps? ;D

Richard
I have not played in the USA, have you played in GB&I, seems you have by your comment “I doubt it”.  If I am a Purest then you must be a Heretic. Not using distance/yardage aids and walking means no distraction when playing golf allowing one time to select and concentrate on the pending shot. Are you seriously telling me that using an aid is quicker? Perhaps then you will tell me why our round are faster than yours and we can easy play 36 holes in a day, some go on to play 54, but not me as it allows me time for a few hours in the 19th. If you have not been over here, please try soon and I think you will be pleasantly surprised by the game not to mention our courses 8)

Clint
I’m not getting into mine is bigger than your, and I certainly don’t think that is should be discussed on this site. IM me and I’ll give you the HEMan site details  ;) :-[

Melvyn

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back